Cultivated Reef

Coldcloud's 15 Gallon Hex

Coldcloud

Hello all! Just joined the site officially today, but have been browsing incognito for the past 6 months. I just wanted to share my current setup, my first salt water tank. Its a 15 gallon hexagon tank that was previously a fresh water tank. I have had it running for about 6 months. 

Current Setup: 

Light: AI Prime HD (still doing the ramp up schedule) with tank mount

Filtration: DIY 5.5 Gallon Sump/Refugium (More of a proof of concept, going to make it bigger in near future)

Overflow Box: Marine Depot Nano rated up to 200gph

Return Pump: Aqueon Quietflow 1200 rated up to 317gph

Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Heater: Aqueon Pro 100w

Occupants:

2 Clown Fish

3 Hermit Crabs

2+ Snails

1 Green Bubble Tip Anemone

8 or more coral frags

My main rock in the middle was dry base rock from the LFS, I supplemented it with a few small pieces of live rock in tank and sump and also live sand. I did a fishless cycle originally with pure ammonia, and was able to cycle the tank to my liking in about 25 days. I started off with just a small clean up crew shortly after cycle. Then about two weeks after that started with two coral frags. Since then I slowly built it up with some more coral frags and a frag rack on the side. I have had the clowns for about three weeks now, and the anemone I have had a little over a week. 

This has been a huge learning experience for me, I have done freshwater tanks for about 8 years and currently have a 55 gallon fresh tank (though I keep looking at it dreaming of all the coral I could place in it). I learn stuff everyday (especially when it comes to anemones), and this website has been a huge help throughout the process!!! I really appreciate all the posts that are available on these forums! 

Here are a few pictures of my setup. (and yes I realize my anemone was pretty close to the coral in the one picture, that was shortly after I got it and it decided to move around and check out the tank)

15galsetup.jpg

sumpfuge.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

fishandanemone.jpg

15galtank.jpg

• Like 2