Jump to content
Ranjib

reef-pi 1.0 released

Recommended Posts

Ranjib

Hello nano reefers,

I am excited to announce the first public release of reef-pi, an opensource, open hardware DIY reef tank controller. reef-pi 1.0 release provide following features:

  1. Equipment control and timers (power bars), up to 16 outlets
  2. LED light control (dawn to dusk effect or light cycles)
  3. Automatic Top Off (based on photoelectric sensor or float switch)
  4. Temperature controller
  5. Dashboard and alerting based on all the above-mentioned features

reef-pi is an affordable and modular controller. i.e you can build it with limited features (say only equipment control) and extend it over time with features as and when you need. Me and handful of other reefers from the community have worked hard to document reef-pi 1.0 installation and build process, which is available here:  http://reef-pi.com

Following is an example dashboard:

dashboard.png

 

best

ranjib

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

Pretty cool. Any chance this will work with a pi zero?

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

Its works on pi-zero just fine. In fact I have three separate controllers (Kessil, Temperature & ATO) all powered by Pi zero

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

Sounds sweet. 

 

Im about to start a 10g build. I'd love to add a Pi to the process 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

So, might seem a bit silly. But I'm a Pi super noob. Probably doesn't help I'm using a Pi zero W instead of a Pi3. I'm pretty sure I configured my wifi correctly.  But the pathway on your tutorial won't "find" the Pi zero file. 

 

Didnt snag a picture, but it basically surmounted to bad pathway in github 

 

here is a pic of if after I ran "ifconfig wlan0"

 

Can an i image the .deb file directly to my micro sd? And run that?

 

ps, rasbian looks pretty cool. Just might build a emulator after all

 

IMG_1366.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

Your wifi is not configured yet.

You can copy the deb file in the sd card ,inserting it in pi zero. 

I think you can definitely make custom raspbian image with reef-pi in it, https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pibakery/ , but I have never tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

I use almost exclusively pi zero w now, for all of my builds. Can you tell a little bit more about how you configured the wifi? and were you able to download the pi zero binary, here is the command to get the latest package , assuming wifi or lan is setup

 


wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/1.2/reef-pi-1.2-pi0.deb

Share this post


Link to post
JBM
23 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

I use almost exclusively pi zero w now, for all of my builds. Can you tell a little bit more about how you configured the wifi? and were you able to download the

 

bah!

 

thought i had it.

 

umm...

 

so i put in

 

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

 

then

 

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}

 

 

but instead of "testing and password" i put in my wifi information

 

then typed in

 

ifconfig wlan0

 

and got that screen

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

use the raspi-config dialogue box, to configure wifi


sudo raspi-config

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

I'll try that tomorrow. Amongst other things

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

Well, tomorrow turned out to be a few weeks later. But I finally have some time to play around. Between a full time job & 4 kids. I don't have much "playtime"

 

wifi is set up. Now onto updating raspbian. Which is taking forever. A quick reboot. Then I will install reefpi. 

 

After that. The Pi will stay on, permanently. At least monitoring temp. 

IMG_1455.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

Ran out of time. But I did run 

 

sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service

 

and was able to get verification that reefpi is running. 

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

And we have in house connectivity

 

with it monitoring nothing. :lol:

IMG_1457.PNG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

Awesome :-)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

fyi

 

the waterproof ds18b20 will also work with a pull up resistor of 10k ohms (it's what i had on hand)

 

the huge spike was from my hand, to see if it read more then 73* which is ambient temp

 

does reef pi support more then one temp probe? Meaning. I know i can wire more in parallel, and the pi will read them. Howevber will reef pi show them? I'd love be able to log some stats. Like show long term how hot my led par bulb gets, the correlation between lights on and off. and how much ambient room temp really effects tank temp.

2018-02-07.png

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib
2 hours ago, JBM said:

fyi

 

the waterproof ds18b20 will also work with a pull up resistor of 10k ohms (it's what i had on hand)

 

the huge spike was from my hand, to see if it read more then 73* which is ambient temp

 

does reef pi support more then one temp probe? Meaning. I know i can wire more in parallel, and the pi will read them. Howevber will reef pi show them? I'd love be able to log some stats. Like show long term how hot my led par bulb gets, the correlation between lights on and off. and how much ambient room temp really effects tank temp.

2018-02-07.png

Yeah, 10K resistor will also work. I think anything inbetween 4-12k should work.

Currently, reef-pi do not have any support for multiple temp probes. This is one of things that is slated for 2.0 release. As of now only one temperature probe and one water level sensor is supported. I want to address this by 2.0

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

willing test subject here

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib

btw most of the things that you asked are exactly the thing also I want to know :-) . Its just i think getting the basic modules shipped was of high priority, as they solve much more important issues (ATO, etc). Getting there needs lot more effort across more type and number of sensors, more efficient codes and finally much more robust visualization/analytics engine... we shall over come :-)

Just now, JBM said:

willing test subject here

I so much appreciate that :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

Call me a simpleton but, I like the no frills visualization.  It's simple, easy to read. I love the long term aspect of the temperature. 

Share this post


Link to post
tarunteam

hmm. I might try to port this to python for further dev. Not experienced with go lang at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ranjib
1 hour ago, tarunteam said:

hmm. I might try to port this to python for further dev. Not experienced with go lang at all.

API: https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/api/

2.0 is likely to change it significantly (new things and couple of updates to old things)

Share this post


Link to post
JBM

API can be used to control reef-pi from an external system as well

 

does this mean i can see & control reef pi from work? Or even better, My crappy Iphone 6 plus?

 

Right now, and probably forever my Pi will run headless. I have PuTTY on my rig. I have terminus on IOS aswell as VNC. All which work (well, im not happy with VNC, but thats probably user error)

 

Seriously, I'd love to have a app or way that I can check my tank anywhere in the world. I feel helpless, I don't know a dam thing about coding. But I sure know how to read prints, schematics, and wire things (Im a lineman / electrical tech).

Share this post


Link to post
tarunteam

Yes.

45 minutes ago, JBM said:

 

 

 

does this mean i can see & control reef pi from work? Or even better, My crappy Iphone 6 plus?

 

Right now, and probably forever my Pi will run headless. I have PuTTY on my rig. I have terminus on IOS aswell as VNC. All which work (well, im not happy with VNC, but thats probably user error)

 

Seriously, I'd love to have a app or way that I can check my tank anywhere in the world. I feel helpless, I don't know a dam thing about coding. But I sure know how to read prints, schematics, and wire things (Im a lineman / electrical tech).

 

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Cintax

I have a Pi Zero W kicking around. I might just give this a whirl. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
JBM
1 hour ago, Cintax said:

I have a Pi Zero W kicking around. I might just give this a whirl. 

 

Now that I've started it. It's actually really, really easy. Ranjib made it as easy as following instructions.  As a point of interest, most of the items needed can be picked up at micro center, if you have one near you and not on hand. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...