Coral Vue Hydros

Ranjib

I live in Canada so at least in my part there isn't a MicroCenter. That being said, I'm an electronics technician and have a big stock of random parts laying around from my electronics hobby.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JBM said:

does this mean i can see & control reef pi from work? Or even better, My crappy Iphone 6 plus?

Right now, and probably forever my Pi will run headless. I have PuTTY on my rig. I have terminus on IOS aswell as VNC. All which work (well, im not happy with VNC, but thats probably user error)

Seriously, I'd love to have a app or way that I can check my tank anywhere in the world. I feel helpless, I don't know a dam thing about coding. But I sure know how to read prints, schematics, and wire things (Im a lineman / electrical tech).

Reef-pi provides a full blown api that is powered by its api. You can access using any device one the same network (like laptop or phone) , some of us use port forwarding to access it when we are in office or in vacation 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cintax said:

I live in Canada so at least in my part there isn't a MicroCenter. That being said, I'm an electronics technician and have a big stock of random parts laying around from my electronics hobby.  

I have kept the electronics requirement to a bareminimal. Most things should be easily sourcable, if not local store , adafruit ships most almost all the bom, from electronics side.

i am working some code stuff that will allow using the pi soc for hardware pwm, which will reduce the electronics part list even shorter (for two channel dimming you won’t need the pca9685 board anymore )

Sounds interesting. My LED lighting for my new tank will be using a ESP8266 based microcontroller. I already have it working with Blynk so it can be controlled via my cell phone. I am in the process of building the schematic and board files so I can get the circuit board made at a place like OSHPARK.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool project!  I'm a fan of the raspberry pi platform.  I use one as a media server and also a retro gaming console.  

My current lighting controller is arduino based (using Typhon code) but this looks pretty cool as well.  If I can do something like incorporate a temp sensor even that would justify spending the few dollars needed to acquire the materials! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Pretty cool project!  I'm a fan of the raspberry pi platform.  I use one as a media server and also a retro gaming console.  

My current lighting controller is arduino based (using Typhon code) but this looks pretty cool as well.  If I can do something like incorporate a temp sensor even that would justify spending the few dollars needed to acquire the materials! 

You can do temperature control, ato and much more :-)

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Thank you for this, I will have to look at building one soon just never used a pi before.

Neither had I prior to doing this. It's really really easy. 

• Like 1
On 2/27/2018 at 6:29 PM, theatrus said:

Just as I was looking at hacking this up myself, here it is. And the base code is in Go, which is even better.

Will be keeping my eye on this.

I'm thinking of combining this with your lights. But waiting for a wireless version of your controller or maybe using a pi zero. 

Also how many 24w 18k chips would you recommend fusion 20. I was thinking 2. But the spacing becomes somewhat awkward. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, JBM said:

Do you think reefpi would be able to control a return pump like jebao or some other D.C. Pump? Ramping up and down flow?

Yes. I think we dont need anything on reef-pi end for this. There are BLDC drivers that take 5v pwm (something reef-pi can already do) and control something like gyre or dc return pumps. These are very specific circuits that needs to be tuned for the specific type of pumps. I am yet to learn that part. Theres an r2r thread thats discussing exactly same topic. If that works out, it will be trivial (if at all any extra work) to integrate the board with reef-pi.

• Like 1