Coral Vue Hydros

Ranjib

Hello nano reefers,

I am excited to announce the first public release of reef-pi, an opensource, open hardware DIY reef tank controller. reef-pi 1.0 release provide following features:

1. Equipment control and timers (power bars), up to 16 outlets
  2. LED light control (dawn to dusk effect or light cycles)
  3. Automatic Top Off (based on photoelectric sensor or float switch)
  4. Temperature controller
  5. Dashboard and alerting based on all the above-mentioned features

reef-pi is an affordable and modular controller. i.e you can build it with limited features (say only equipment control) and extend it over time with features as and when you need. Me and handful of other reefers from the community have worked hard to document reef-pi 1.0 installation and build process, which is available here:  http://reef-pi.com

Following is an example dashboard:

dashboard.png

best

ranjib

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, might seem a bit silly. But I'm a Pi super noob. Probably doesn't help I'm using a Pi zero W instead of a Pi3. I'm pretty sure I configured my wifi correctly.  But the pathway on your tutorial won't "find" the Pi zero file. 

Didnt snag a picture, but it basically surmounted to bad pathway in github 

here is a pic of if after I ran "ifconfig wlan0"

Can an i image the .deb file directly to my micro sd? And run that?

ps, rasbian looks pretty cool. Just might build a emulator after all

IMG_1366.JPG

I use almost exclusively pi zero w now, for all of my builds. Can you tell a little bit more about how you configured the wifi? and were you able to download the pi zero binary, here is the command to get the latest package , assuming wifi or lan is setup

wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/1.2/reef-pi-1.2-pi0.deb

23 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

I use almost exclusively pi zero w now, for all of my builds. Can you tell a little bit more about how you configured the wifi? and were you able to download the

bah!

thought i had it.

umm...

so i put in

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

then

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}

but instead of "testing and password" i put in my wifi information

then typed in

ifconfig wlan0

and got that screen

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tomorrow turned out to be a few weeks later. But I finally have some time to play around. Between a full time job & 4 kids. I don't have much "playtime"

wifi is set up. Now onto updating raspbian. Which is taking forever. A quick reboot. Then I will install reefpi. 

After that. The Pi will stay on, permanently. At least monitoring temp. 

IMG_1455.JPG

fyi

the waterproof ds18b20 will also work with a pull up resistor of 10k ohms (it's what i had on hand)

the huge spike was from my hand, to see if it read more then 73* which is ambient temp

does reef pi support more then one temp probe? Meaning. I know i can wire more in parallel, and the pi will read them. Howevber will reef pi show them? I'd love be able to log some stats. Like show long term how hot my led par bulb gets, the correlation between lights on and off. and how much ambient room temp really effects tank temp.

2018-02-07.png

2 hours ago, JBM said:

fyi

the waterproof ds18b20 will also work with a pull up resistor of 10k ohms (it's what i had on hand)

the huge spike was from my hand, to see if it read more then 73* which is ambient temp

does reef pi support more then one temp probe? Meaning. I know i can wire more in parallel, and the pi will read them. Howevber will reef pi show them? I'd love be able to log some stats. Like show long term how hot my led par bulb gets, the correlation between lights on and off. and how much ambient room temp really effects tank temp.

2018-02-07.png

Yeah, 10K resistor will also work. I think anything inbetween 4-12k should work.

Currently, reef-pi do not have any support for multiple temp probes. This is one of things that is slated for 2.0 release. As of now only one temperature probe and one water level sensor is supported. I want to address this by 2.0

• Wow 1

btw most of the things that you asked are exactly the thing also I want to know :-) . Its just i think getting the basic modules shipped was of high priority, as they solve much more important issues (ATO, etc). Getting there needs lot more effort across more type and number of sensors, more efficient codes and finally much more robust visualization/analytics engine... we shall over come :-)

Just now, JBM said:

willing test subject here

I so much appreciate that :-)

• Like 1

API can be used to control reef-pi from an external system as well

does this mean i can see & control reef pi from work? Or even better, My crappy Iphone 6 plus?

Right now, and probably forever my Pi will run headless. I have PuTTY on my rig. I have terminus on IOS aswell as VNC. All which work (well, im not happy with VNC, but thats probably user error)

Seriously, I'd love to have a app or way that I can check my tank anywhere in the world. I feel helpless, I don't know a dam thing about coding. But I sure know how to read prints, schematics, and wire things (Im a lineman / electrical tech).

Yes.

45 minutes ago, JBM said:

does this mean i can see & control reef pi from work? Or even better, My crappy Iphone 6 plus?

Right now, and probably forever my Pi will run headless. I have PuTTY on my rig. I have terminus on IOS aswell as VNC. All which work (well, im not happy with VNC, but thats probably user error)

Seriously, I'd love to have a app or way that I can check my tank anywhere in the world. I feel helpless, I don't know a dam thing about coding. But I sure know how to read prints, schematics, and wire things (Im a lineman / electrical tech).

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Cintax said:

I have a Pi Zero W kicking around. I might just give this a whirl. 

Now that I've started it. It's actually really, really easy. Ranjib made it as easy as following instructions.  As a point of interest, most of the items needed can be picked up at micro center, if you have one near you and not on hand. 

• Like 1