Top Shelf Aquatics

Chaeto Algae

The cardinal

I have an all in one tank with two clowns and two cardinals. Because my tank is an all in one tank it has a small sump in the back do you think I should installs a media basket with some Chaeto algae if so what type?  

Personnelly, I would not add the complication of a light for photosynthetic macro.  Get some rubble that is seeded with pods.  Amphipods and copepods do not need light to grow.  Even without light, biofilm will grow on all surfaces feeding pods.  Nutrients from tank would grow pods.  Flake food will grow pods.

I currently have an innovative marine 20g peninsula and have a fuge installed in the second chamber. I have the fuge basket from inTank which I absolutely love and an innovative marine fuge light that attaches by a magnet. The black siding can be taken off with a razor blade to allow for the light.

I was skeptical about having a fuge instead of a slimmer but this really does export nutrients. I have undetectable nitrates and phosphates and it grows pods like crazy.

Hope this can help.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Goneaway562 said:

I currently have an innovative marine 20g peninsula and have a fuge installed in the second chamber. I have the fuge basket from inTank which I absolutely love and an innovative marine fuge light that attaches by a magnet. The black siding can be taken off with a razor blade to allow for the light.

I was skeptical about having a fuge instead of a slimmer but this really does export nutrients. I have undetectable nitrates and phosphates and it grows pods like crazy.

Hope this can help.

17 hours ago, Subsea said:

Personnelly, I would not add the complication of a light for photosynthetic macro.  Get some rubble that is seeded with pods.  Amphipods and copepods do not need light to grow.  Even without light, biofilm will grow on all surfaces feeding pods.  Nutrients from tank would grow pods.  Flake food will grow pods.

Thank you I will get some pod seeded rubble and a bit of Algea for the fuge I will see how that goes I also have a protein skimmer though 

2 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Why?

Nitrates, no gain.  Live rock in your display is your biofilter.

Lots of more detail if you need by doing a search on this site.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The cardinal said:

Thank you I will get some pod seeded rubble and a bit of Algea for the fuge I will see how that goes I also have a protein skimmer though 

OK.  WHY DID YOU SAY, “I also have a protein skimmer though”.

From my perspective, prorein skimmers remove nutrients that are required to grow corals.  I prefer to manage my nutrients using nutrient recycling to produce live food for tank.  

3 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Nitrates, no gain.  Live rock in your display is your biofilter.

Lots of more detail if you need by doing a search on this site.

Steve,

Live Rock is a part of the biofilter.  Actually, it is more relevant as a source of biodiversity than in biochemistry.  For certain, I can run a reef tank without live rock and have done so with differrent tanks.  

I do not do my research on a website blog.  I prefer scientific articles for my information.

6 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Steve,

Live Rock is a part of the biofilter.  Actually, it is more relevant as a source of biodiversity than in biochemistry.  For certain, I can run a reef tank without live rock and have done so with differrent tanks.  

I do not do my research on a website blog.  I prefer scientific articles for my information.

It is part of the biofilter, I stated that.  But it's more of a risk than gain in a rear chamber.

This website forum is full of information from real world experiences, written down which is all science is.  With 1,386 posts why even both here then?

• Like 2
WoodRiverTroutBum
24 minutes ago, StevieT said:

It is part of the biofilter, I stated that.  But it's more of a risk than gain in a rear chamber.

This website forum is full of information from real world experiences, written down which is all science is.  With 1,386 posts why even both here then?

Stevie, how could you possibly trust real world experiences?  The only way for something to be proven, is if it takes place in a lab.  Everyone knows that.

51 minutes ago, WoodRiverTroutBum said:

Stevie, how could you possibly trust real world experiences?  The only way for something to be proven, is if it takes place in a lab.  Everyone knows that.

My bad

Blow comes from labs and I have the best real world experiences with it  

Does that count?

• Like 1
WoodRiverTroutBum
On 12/13/2017 at 7:31 PM, StevieT said:

My bad

Blow comes from labs and I have the best real world experiences with it  

Does that count?

You just won my business.  Going to order chamber one and chamber two baskets for my Evo 13.5.

• Thanks 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, Goneaway562 said:

I have the fuge basket from inTank which I absolutely love and an innovative marine fuge light that attaches by a magnet. The black siding can be taken off with a razor blade to allow for the light.

so what order do you have the media basket filled?  I am debating on how I should fill mine.  I currently have filter floss in chamber one that then feeds chamber two where I have the standard purigen, etc. filling my media basket.  I am thinking of converting my media basket from three to two chambers and keeping chaeto on top and carbon on the bottom.  

8 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

so what order do you have the media basket filled?  I am debating on how I should fill mine.  I currently have filter floss in chamber one that then feeds chamber two where I have the standard purigen, etc. filling my media basket.  I am thinking of converting my media basket from three to two chambers and keeping chaeto on top and carbon on the bottom.  

My first chamber I’m running filter floss on the top and chemipure blue nano in the second and third compartment. My second chamber is the dedicated fuge that takes up the entire fuge. I’d suggest running all your primary filtration in the first chamber and only a fuge in the second.

Rubble in the back chamber can be a detritus collector. The back chamber should be cleaned regularly and rubble or bioballs makes that difficult.

Some have found rubble in a media bag can prevent detritus buildup as it cn be removed for cleaning 

If you have liverock in the display, you have your biological filtration already so setting up a fuge in the back chamber would be beneficial for pods and nutrient export.

As for the media baskets.

Most run the floss where the overflow enters so that food, poop, and any other particles are trapped in the floss so they don't collect in the other media and impede it's function. 

Cheato needs light and decent flow.