Coral Vue Hydros

36" nano build thread (continued from another thread)

speakeraddict

speakeraddict

I have been thinking about dosing for this setup.  In years past, I only used kalkwasser and a multi-supplement.

I really want better growth this time around and more stability.

What is a good, budget minded, dosing system?

Also, my LFS doesn't sell chaeto.  Prices online are outrageous(we used to throw out the extras)  Anywhere to get low price chaeto?

Steven

If you are stateside I can ship you chaeto for just the cost of shipping. So easily less then $14 priority. Might even be able to do an envelope for less then $8. Not sure how well it would handle with the colder temperatures though. I probably tossed out about a 5 gallon bucket full last month. 

• Like 1

You shouldn't pay for cheato.

Why are you considering dosing before you even have corals in there? IME folks start dosing way before they need to. Once you start seeing a decline in your calc/alk that's not getting addressed by regular water changes, then start.

That is a bizarre tank, I like your idea with the lighting about the polished glass around the outside, that's going to look fantastic.

• Like 1
speakeraddict

It really is bizarre, but, that's me and I couldn't pass it up!  :D

I'm not going to dose at first, I just want to have everything physically in place from the start.  I have had too many things go wrong when I try to figure how to fit something in after the fact.  You can measure, mark and label all you want.  Something always is off when you go from planning to implementation.  ;)

The red LEDs are out for delivery.  I should be able to start work on the fuge light this evening.

For the first time ever, I sat today and made a complete parts/spend list categorized by electrical, lighting, plumbing, etc.  It's amazing just how many parts are going into this small of a setup.  But, equally amazing, is how inexpensive it is.  Unlike most, when I am done with the physical build of the setup, I will post a spreadsheet listing everything that went into it and the real world cost to do so.

Steven

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, speakeraddict said:

It really is bizarre, but, that's me and I couldn't pass it up!  :D

I'm not going to dose at first, I just want to have everything physically in place from the start.  I have had too many things go wrong when I try to figure how to fit something in after the fact.  You can measure, mark and label all you want.  Something always is off when you go from planning to implementation.  ;)

The red LEDs are out for delivery.  I should be able to start work on the fuge light this evening.

For the first time ever, I sat today and made a complete parts/spend list categorized by electrical, lighting, plumbing, etc.  It's amazing just how many parts are going into this small of a setup.  But, equally amazing, is how inexpensive it is.  Unlike most, when I am done with the physical build of the setup, I will post a spreadsheet listing everything that went into it and the real world cost to do so.

Steven

The little pieces sure do add up, don't they? Especially since I bought everything gradually, I'm sure I would be flabbergasted at the total amount I've spent so far. Looking forward to that list, and some pics. 

1 hour ago, speakeraddict said:

For the first time ever, I sat today and made a complete parts/spend list categorized by electrical, lighting, plumbing, etc.  It's amazing just how many parts are going into this small of a setup. 

My current build is one of the smallest tanks I've ever put together. It's also already, the most expensive. Even plumbing adds up quick. 

speakeraddict

Pics will come soon.  I am planning on starting on the sump and plumbing this week and will take pics as I go.

Plumbing is one of those things that I have to have tidy or it drives me nuts!  I should have no elbows or T's in this one just unions/union valves.  There will be some hose, but, I am trying to minimize that as well. 

Glad you guys are tagging along!

Steven

speakeraddict

Here is the spreadsheet thus far. 

Description Qty Paid Rec'd  Cost  Notes

Royal Blue 3 watt LED 8 x x  $              2.87 The order was for 20 LEDs some will be used in fuge
  Neutral White 3 watt LED 4 x x  $              1.79 The order was for 10 LEDs
  Violet 3 watt LED 2 x x  $                   -   These were left over from another project
  Royal blue 1 watt LED 2 x    $              0.99 Order of 10 (moonlights)
  Red 3 watt LED 6 x    $              1.79 order of 10 for Fuge
  Heat Sinks 2 x    $              8.69 Ebay
  Fans 2 x    $              1.79 Ebay (may not use these)
  Acrylic Pendants 2 x x  $                   -   Made from scrap 3/4" acrylic
  Pendant Holder 1 x x  $            12.00 DIY cost for steel tubing
  Main Driver 1 x x  $            12.00 Meanwell 35-700  Ebay
  Fuge Driver 1 x x  $                   -   leftover from paid project
  Moonlight driver 1 x    $              1.89 Ebay 350ma 9v
  Wire 1 x x  $              7.32 Lowe's 5/18 and scrap bin wire
  Cabinet light(s)         Haven't decided yet

Total  $            51.13 Lighting total includes tax and shipping

1" x 10' pvc 1 x x  $                   -   included with valves
  1" Union valves 2 x x  $            12.73  
  1" Union   1 x x  $                   -   Leftover from previous project
  1" bulkhead fitting 3 x x  $            10.75 Ebay 
  1/2" clear hose  3 x x  $                   -   For reactor left over from other project
  1" hose 1 x x  $                   -   For return left over from pond
  1" gray hose adapter 1 x x  $                   -   Left over from pond 

Total  $            23.48 Plumbing Total

Timers 3 x x  $            11.50 Lowes Black Friday special
  Outlet strip 3 x x  $              6.92 Lowes Black Friday special

Total  $            18.42 Electrical equipment

Aqueon 15 gallon aquarium 1 x x  $            16.35 bought on clearance from petco
  Glass panels 3       Dividers
  Filter Socks and holder 1 x x  $                   -   DIY from sewing supplies. :)
  Return pump 1 x x  $                   -   Via Aqua 2600 from a trade of parts
  Media Reactor 1 x x  $                   -   Phosban 150 from same trade as above
  Reactor pump 1 x x  $                   -   undecided probably via aqua 400
  Top off unit 1 x x  $                   -   Auto Aqua Smart ATO (I did some side work for it)
  Silicone 1 x x  $              6.00 GE silicone 1 clear
  Skimmer 1 x x  $            30.00 Reef octopus craigslist still in box (may not use)
  Heater  1 x x  $                   -    

Total  $            52.35 Filtration equipment

Grand total  $ 145.38  

You'll notice there is nothing about the stand or tank.  The stand was basically free from lumber collected over the years.  The Tank was $50.

Other than a heater, reactor pump and a couple other odds and ends, that's pretty much everything.

Steven

speakeraddict

I will have a big update this weekend with photos.

All of the heat sinks, LEDs and drivers are in.  I found my pack of thermal pads.  (I got everything for aquariums organized last night)

The plumbing is dry fit and will take it back apart and glue it.  I have to clean up some stuff that got dusty so a good vinegar soaking is in order.  :)

Thanks for being patient.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
speakeraddict

Sorry for the delay guys.  Whole family got a nasty stomach bug one right after the other over the course of the last two weeks.  :(

Anyhow, change of plans on the light.  The tree mount wouldn't allow me enough room to run wire.  Best laid plans....

So here is version 2.0

Just 3/4" conduit bent at a 90.  One for each light.  I drilled a 7/8" through hole in the back and then drilled and tapped a whole perpendicular to that for a 10-24 screw.  it's not perfectly straight in the pic because it's not mounted and I have about a 32" of play in the hole to adjust on three axis.  Now, I could put a bunch of wires in to allow for dimmable lights, moon lights, fans and have room to expand.  The new solution cost less than $5 and took about 30 minutes a piece to build.

I finished the sump.  Got a baffle a bit crooked somehow.  It functions so I'm not too worried.  Built literally a hundred of them and it never happened.  Of course, it was mine I decided to mess up on. :)

More pics to come this weekend. 

Btw, tapping acrylic is a piece of cake when you are working with 3/4".  I have tapped 1/4" and it was a pain to get right.  Oh, I hate the fact that I drilled through holes in the sides for the other hanger.  But, I can always build a new set of these later if it starts bugging me.

Steven

IMG_20180106_125356.jpg

IMG_20180106_125404.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
speakeraddict

Ok lighting is built and is running for a couple hours to check temp. So far (30 minutes) it's fine. 

Forgive the mess in the tank. Also the house is being remodeled. ?

IMG_20180115_150213.jpg

speakeraddict

Ok the lights were tested for 4 hours and ran perfectly. I could touch the face of the heat sink and hold a finger there. I gotta get the infrared thermometer from my buddy for actual measurements. 

The wires are now all cut to length, drivers mounted and board cut to divide the electrical section off for protection. I'm not putting it in until I paint the inside of the stand.