Coral Vue Hydros

Injecting oxygen into a reef?

Lypto

Hello Everyone, I've been working on a little project and wanted to know your opinions and thoughts.

In our tanks, water movement is essential for a healthy system. The air being mixed into our waters by surface movement and protein skimmers and the like is used by our coral, fish and inverts, but what would happen if instead of water movement, we used pure oxygen? Or some kind of SCUBA breathing gas like trimex? I know its much more practical and probably more natural to use flow, but just for the sake of curiosity I'd love to see. If one used a water splitter to get hydrogen and oxygen gas and injected the 02 into the water, I wonder if the oxygen would allow the polyps to grow larger, much like insects in a more oxygen rich atmosphere. The limiting factor concerning insect size is the ability to move gasses throughout their systems, and that's why they're much smaller today, does that apply to all invertebrates that rely on ambient gasses to breathe?

MainelyReefer

Getting super scientific but most insects aren't photosynthetic, and a majority of corals are in some way, most of their photosynthetic symbionts should be similar to plants in that they will utilize CO2 and not O2.  But that's way over my head.  Also it seems your plan is keen on limiting if not eliminating flow, this will be an issue in diffusion of the gasses through the water column I think especially in close contact to the corals where there is likely proteins and other layers restricting diffusion without ample flow.  Kind of like ozone injection is what your thinking?

• Like 1

good point on the Photosynthetic C02 dependence! corals may get their o2 from their symbiotic algae as well as outside sources. My understanding is that Ozone is charged and tends to be unstable, enough so that it won't last very long, as well as the O2 being split through electrolysis without any of the nitric acid that is formed through ozone generators. Is the idea behind ozone generators to destroy organic compounds in order to improve water clarity? I know that ozone will react to form some potentially nasty compounds.

In all honesty It isn't exactly to eliminate flow, more as a supplement. corals would probably have bleaching issues if exposed to pure oxygen over too long a time period. Don't the corals expel the algae because it begins to emit toxic gasses? I can't remember...