Top Shelf Aquatics

What do i use to treat ichs? copper treatment not an option...

SBF

holyherbiness

Get another tank

put medication in it

put fish into it

raise temperatures a little

when a week or so has passed after visible symptoms are gone, place back into regular tank

You can make a QT tank really easily. I went to walmart and got a small 3 gal rubbermade tub for 1.97. It is opaque, but you can still see through it. Then get the new in-tank whisper filter 9i i think is the model, runs like 7-10 dollars. Then pick up the little plastic heater they sell for 5 bucks and your set. I used Melachite green for treating ich in the QT tub.

You need to leave the tank empty for 5 or 6 weeks to be sure the ich is dead. Inverts and stuff are fine to leave in there. Treat the fish with hypo or copper in the QT. NO copper can get in the display tank. NONE.

Garlic does not kill ich. Garlic may indeed boost the fish's immune system some, but it does not cure the problem.

SBF....You can hypo in your tank. May want to get someone to babysit you coral while you slowly lower your salinity. You need to do some searches on hypposalinity treatments here and on reef central.

eric borneman lists a product called "marine OOmed" by tetra that at the lowest dosage is reef safe. i have no experience with it and have never heard of anyone using it, but if borneman says its okey dokey with corals and inverts id say its pretty damn safe.

the only way i have found to treat ich in a reef tank and be effective is to remove all the fish fo minimum of 6 weeks, and place them into a bare bottom tank to treat with hyposalinity. Less stressfull to the fish than copper if you lower the salintiy correctly.

i believe this option has already been mentioned several times, and IME the best route as it has been the best for me.

Originally posted by pyrrhus

eric borneman lists a product called "marine OOmed" by tetra that at the lowest dosage is reef safe. i have no experience with it and have never heard of anyone using it, but if borneman says its okey dokey with corals and inverts id say its pretty damn safe.

I don't think this stuff is available anymore but i read that as well.

yep or a cleaner wrasse, i have a friendly lfs that will let u take them back when u are finished with them or u can just give one to a friend, but don't keep the cleaner wrasse as they will die with no parasites to feed on

I f u want to kill the ich completly lower ur salinity to 1.020 and keep it there, get a uv sterilizer,and raise the temp to 78-80 degrees. every two to three days external parasites have to jump off of their host to reproduce, and while they jump off the uv can eradicate them. Also by dropping ur salinity gradually, the salt becomes less concentrated and parasitical bacteria ,fungi , viruses,and all external protozoans cannot survive. i recommed a uv only if u have a wet dry . As there may be other ways to connect a uv to ur system. hope this helps

I think a vu sterilizer is a bit extreme for simply treating ich. There are several ways to treat the parasite that would cost a fraction of what a uv sterilizer costs, and are just as effective.

hmmm, my green clown has ich now, i cannot use copper treatment either, i have heard of using a freshwater bath, is this a good idea, i know it won't rid my tank of ich, another thing i was thinking is this fish too small for a cleaner shrimp to clean???? any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

and how effective are the cleaner shrimp, they are 17 bucks at the lfs and i want it to work if i amgoing to get one

ok i did the freshwater bath thing that 2 people i know told me to try, i will also be picking up a skunk cleaner shrimp from the lfs tommorrow, the freshwater bath did remove the parasites that were on the fish, poor guy i forgot to let the water sit and get room temp it was pretty cool water, but he survived

yeah they had that 2, 12 days i think it is for the treatment, my fish have been throuh one hell of a day, green clown goby-freshwater bath, hi fin red banded goby-more stress than a 2 hour long traffic jam on your way to your best friends wedding

I had to move th lr to get the lil clown out, forgot how i had it to begin with so i moved it and moved it, then lost both of my fish, took all of my lr out into a bucket WHAT no fish in the tank just crabs shrimp n snails, bucket with lr, 2 fish got one in tank with no prob even though his slime coat looked horrbile, fish # 2 which had the freshwater bath I tripped over the bucket with him in it and there he goes on the floor i had to scoop him up by hand and put back in tank this freaks me out they are my fish my lil kids and i seriously screwed them over today I am sorry lil guys i just hope hey come back outta the lr and get back to normal life

hi flickj79,

How mature is your tank?

If your water is stable i think you can leave it to the cleaner shrimp to do the job.

i had 2 skunk,1 fire,1 blue coral cleaner shrimp in my 13g tank,but my skunk did most of the cleaning of ich.

Fresh water bath did help but how many time can you dip it coz reef tank cant be 100% off ich.

Hope it help you.

God Bless

sorry it has been so long since i replied, i cannot get into my e-mail for some reason, but the tank has been set up for a month and water params are fine, i got the cleaner sheimp, but those stupid peppermint shrimp i have killed the skunk so I am gettin rid of them and going to pay 17 bucks for another cleaner shrimp if they even get one it this week, i just did the freshwater bath one time and later that week i saw the skunk cleaning the fish, but now he is dead god rest his soul

if the tank has only been set up for a month you are moving WAY too fast. it should be closer to 6-8 weeks before you put in anything but a small clean up crew, let alone delicate animals like shrimp.

Archived