Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting suggestions for a 22 gal long?

reefrook

Hi all.  After a long break, I'm finally getting back into the hobby.  I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the new lighting options and need some help.

I have a Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long (36in x 12in x 12in) and I just can't figure out if I should go with 2 Kessils or 1, the 160 or the 360.  Or perhaps AI?  And if I do, do I go with 2 HD's or 1 Hydra?  Or a Radion...or a nanobox?

I want a versatile setup that will let me grow almost anything successfully.  I also don't want to go over $700.  

Any help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, reefrook said:

Hi all.  After a long break, I'm finally getting back into the hobby.  I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the new lighting options and need some help.

I have a Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long (36in x 12in x 12in) and I just can't figure out if I should go with 2 Kessils or 1, the 160 or the 360.  Or perhaps AI?  And if I do, do I go with 2 HD's or 1 Hydra?  Or a Radion...or a nanobox?

All depends on what you want in it. LPS and softies? SPS? FOWLR? FO? 

A single 360 will cover 24" x 24" so that is not enough spread by itself, each 160 has a spread of 18" x 18" so it could work but lacks the power for SPS and is already at the top of your budget. Kessil is probably not going to work for you.

For a 22L I'd suggest either 2 AI Prime HD's, a Hydra 26HD, or a 27" Maxspect. Kessils aren't as popular they were because, frankly, they're not worth the price anymore. You can get so much more power and features in the same price bracket now.

I've heard a lot about NanoBox but haven't owned one before so I can't give my opinion. The rest of the "big box brands" I can.

Prices are as of 12/3/17 and in USD.

When it comes to AI, Radion, Kessil, or Maxspect; it really comes down to features.

The "popular" brands are as follows (out-of-the-box features):

• Kessil has the looks to humans but lacks the controlablityconnectivity, and power.
  • AI has the connectivity but can become pricey outside of nano.
  • Radions have the power but aren't affordable on an everyday budget.
  • Maxspect has the years of experience but lack of connectivity.

Kessil: (BRS)

• 1x - A160WE + Mount + Controller = $ 372.95
  • 2x - A160WE + Mounts + Controller = $659.80
  • 1x - A360WE + Mount + Controller = $492.95

AI: (BRS)

• 1x - Prime HD + Mount = $228.99
  • 2x - Prime HD + Mounts = $457.98
  • 1x - Hydra 26HD + Mount = $424.99
  • 1x - Hydra 52HD + Mount = $674.99

Maxspect: (Dr Foster & Smith)

• 1x - 20" 15K Razor R420R = $429.99
  • 1x - 27" 15k Razor R420R = $509.99

Radion: (BRS)

• 1x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mount = $488.00
  • 2x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mounts = $976.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 + Mount = $748.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 PRO + Mount = $898.00

2 AI primes would be well under budget be great... 2 A160 would work but to get the controller be pushing the budget... If you had a $100 of wiggle room, a Nano Box Quad would be crazy good..... 

Happy reefing!

8 hours ago, AshCom said:

All depends on what you want in it. LPS and softies? SPS? FOWLR? FO? 

A single 360 will cover 24" x 24" so that is not enough spread by itself, each 160 has a spread of 18" x 18" so it could work but lacks the power for SPS and is already at the top of your budget. Kessil is probably not going to work for you.

For a 22L I'd suggest either 2 AI Prime HD's, a Hydra 26HD, or a 27" Maxspect. Kessils aren't as popular they were because, frankly, they're not worth the price anymore. You can get so much more power and features in the same price bracket now.

I've heard a lot about NanoBox but haven't owned one before so I can't give my opinion. The rest of the "big box brands" I can.

Prices are as of 12/3/17 and in USD.

When it comes to AI, Radion, Kessil, or Maxspect; it really comes down to features.

The "popular" brands are as follows (out-of-the-box features):

• Kessil has the looks to humans but lacks the controlablityconnectivity, and power.
  • AI has the connectivity but can become pricey outside of nano.
  • Radions have the power but aren't affordable on an everyday budget.
  • Maxspect has the years of experience but lack of connectivity.

Kessil: (BRS)

• 1x - A160WE + Mount + Controller = $ 372.95
  • 2x - A160WE + Mounts + Controller = $659.80
  • 1x - A360WE + Mount + Controller = $492.95

AI: (BRS)

• 1x - Prime HD + Mount = $228.99
  • 2x - Prime HD + Mounts = $457.98
  • 1x - Hydra 26HD + Mount = $424.99
  • 1x - Hydra 52HD + Mount = $674.99

Maxspect: (Dr Foster & Smith)

• 1x - 20" 15K Razor R420R = $429.99
  • 1x - 27" 15k Razor R420R = $509.99

Radion: (BRS)

• 1x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mount = $488.00
  • 2x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mounts = $976.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 + Mount = $748.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 PRO + Mount = $898.00

I'll be keeping LPS, softies, and SPS.  Thanks for that write-up.  I think I can safely cross out Kessil's from my options.  I'm leaning towards 2 prime HDs as opposed to 1 Hydra so that the tank can have full coverage for the 36", end to end.

8 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

2 AI primes would be well under budget be great... 2 A160 would work but to get the controller be pushing the budget... If you had a $100 of wiggle room, a Nano Box Quad would be crazy good..... 

Happy reefing!

You don't think a Quad will be overkill for the 12" depth?

From what I've seen @Scorched would be the better to answer you on this, as he has a nanobox quad over is 12g long.... 

I've also been on the fence in the same predicament as you, and also trying to think long term investment here in the event I ever upgrade (which I'm sure we both will) tank size in the future. I like Kessil for the wide range of applications, but I'm stuck between AI for the price and Nanobox for the sheer beauty and function...

2 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

From what I've seen @Scorched would be the better to answer you on this, as he has a nanobox quad over is 12g long.... 

I've also been on the fence in the same predicament as you, and also trying to think long term investment here in the event I ever upgrade (which I'm sure we both will) tank size in the future. I like Kessil for the wide range of applications, but I'm stuck between AI for the price and Nanobox for the sheer beauty and function...

36" Tanks are a pain in the butt to light.  You need a fixture that is 24"+ or you need 2-3 of the small fixtures.

I currently have the Nanobox Quad like JC said.  I do not think it is overkill if you want to have sps and higher demand lps corals.  I run it at 80% brightness at my peak and sometimes I think I could crank it up higher.  I've also ran two 36" Chinese fixtures on my Mr Aqua long tank as well.  One was a nonbrand blue/white only fixture that didnt even dim.  I ran that for almost 2-3 years and had success with it.  Eventually I upgraded to a controllable Chinese fixture called the Aquasunrise AquaPro 90.  Its full spectrum and dimmable.  I used this for 2 years and liked this light as well.  The nanobox just looks sleeker with my current tank and is controllable through my Apex which is something I wanted.  The Chinese route ranges from $100-400.  The Quad is going to be just over your limit by $50 with shipping.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

Looks like I'm in the boat with you...AI or Nanobox.  Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Scorched said:

36" Tanks are a pain in the butt to light.  You need a fixture that is 24"+ or you need 2-3 of the small fixtures.

I currently have the Nanobox Quad like JC said.  I do not think it is overkill if you want to have sps and higher demand lps corals.  I run it at 80% brightness at my peak and sometimes I think I could crank it up higher.  I've also ran two 36" Chinese fixtures on my Mr Aqua long tank as well.  One was a nonbrand blue/white only fixture that didnt even dim.  I ran that for almost 2-3 years and had success with it.  Eventually I upgraded to a controllable Chinese fixture called the Aquasunrise AquaPro 90.  Its full spectrum and dimmable.  I used this for 2 years and liked this light as well.  The nanobox just looks sleeker with my current tank and is controllable through my Apex which is something I wanted.  The Chinese route ranges from $100-400.  The Quad is going to be just over your limit by $50 with shipping.

Looking at your build, you've proved you can house anything with the Quad.  How high do you hang it off the water surface?  Deciding if I should get the 9in or 15in goose neck.

12 minutes ago, reefrook said:

Looking at your build, you've proved you can house anything with the Quad.  How high do you hang it off the water surface?  Deciding if I should get the 9in or 15in goose neck.

Its probably around 6-7"  (You can see in my video and room picture how high I have it, my AquaPro was even higher at 8-9") I like get it higher as it lets me crank the brightness higher and lets the light hit the far left and right sides of the tank easier.  Having it high is also easier to mess around inside the tank without having to constantly adjust the light up and down.  Id honestly hang it higher than I have it now but due to the way my computer chair and computer are Id see glints from below the fixture if I moved it 1-2" up. 

Id ask Dave what he thinks is best.  I use the hanging kit so I don't know which is going to be best honestly.

4 minutes ago, Scorched said:

Its probably around 6-7"  (You can see in my video and room picture how high I have it, my AquaPro was even higher at 8-9") I like get it higher as it lets me crank the brightness higher and lets the light hit the far left and right sides of the tank easier.  Having it high is also easier to mess around inside the tank without having to constantly adjust the light up and down.  Id honestly hang it higher than I have it now but due to the way my computer chair and computer are Id see glints from below the fixture if I moved it 1-2" up. 

Id ask Dave what he thinks is best.  I use the hanging kit so I don't know which is going to be best honestly.

Great feedback.  Thanks @Scorch

• 3 weeks later...

I found a good deal (or at least what I think is a good deal) for a Radion XR30w gen 3 ($390).  While I was really looking forward to the nanobox quad, I couldn't pass up the option of having a quality light and saving $300+ in the process.

Thanks all!

btw, the guy I bought it from has 2 more if anybody is interested.  Just DM me.