SaltCritters.com

Clown Fish and Anemone

Larry the Lobster

Larry the Lobster

Hello,

I am a beginner in the hobby. I took a sample of water to my fish store and they told me my tank is cycled after 4 weeks of waiting they said I was ready to adopt a fish. My local fish store had a great deal on Percula Clown fish so I bought two so in the future the could become a pair. But I also want them to host an anemone. Do I get the anemone (hopefully a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone) now (had the clowns for eight days but will get the anemone in a week or two) or do I get it much later.

P.s I have tested my water my Ammonia NH3 and Ammonium NH4+ are  at zero and so are my nitrites and nitrates. And is it normal that my clowns like so swim down a corner.

Thank you  

Welcome to N-R. 

While a BTA is a relatively easy anemone, I'd suggest waiting until your tank matures some. Plus, it'll help you get some experience under your belt. Nobody here will tell you to buy a nem right off. Especially without knowing more about your tank. Especially the lights. 

As for your clowns. That sounds like normal behavior.

This tank is WAY too new to even think about a 'nem. The clown's will be fine without one for a while. Also, when u are ready to go the 'nem route make sure your tank is big enough to handle a medium to large one. Clown's can get a little rough when they take up residence in one and can actually damage it if it's not large enough. How big is your tank?

Larry the Lobster
3 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

This tank is WAY too new to even think about a 'nem. The clown's will be fine without one for a while. Also, when u are ready to go the 'nem route make sure your tank is big enough to handle a medium to large one. Clown's can get a little rough when they take up residence in one and can actually damage it if it's not large enough. How big is your tank?

3 hours ago, medinar83 said:

def wait for the tank to mature, patience will be your BF in the hobby.

5 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Welcome to N-R. 

While a BTA is a relatively easy anemone, I'd suggest waiting until your tank matures some. Plus, it'll help you get some experience under your belt. Nobody here will tell you to buy a nem right off. Especially without knowing more about your tank. Especially the lights. 

As for your clowns. That sounds like normal behavior.

Thank you for the information (sorry about the spelling and grammar),

The light on my tank is a Aqua Illumination Prime HD, but my tank is a nuvo fusion 30 long I am planing on getting another light of the same type to cover the tank in the near future. 

P.s. can it be that my clowns will be scared of the light because I recently turned up the settings, but not to high (the uv is low at a 5% maximum) and they are in a corner with low light  and should I dose rotifers. 

There is nothing going on with your clowns. About 90% of new clowns will go to a back corner, or a filter intake, or heater and stay there. I'm not sure if it's fear of a new environment, being taken out of the group they were in at the store, or just their natural hosting instinct. It's just what happens. 

Larry the Lobster
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

There is nothing going on with your clowns. About 90% of new clowns will go to a back corner, or a filter intake, or heater and stay there. I'm not sure if it's fear of a new environment, being taken out of the group they were in at the store, or just their natural hosting instinct. It's just what happens. 

How long will it take for them to explore more? 

28 minutes ago, Larry the Lobster said:

How long will it take for them to explore more? 

They'll move out when THEY are ready. Give them a few days to adjust to their new surroundings. Don't be in a hurry for your clowns. Depending on their source, they just got yanked out of one tank, shipped to your LFS, put in a tank with others, yanked out AGAIN, and stuck in a new tank completely foreign to them. It would be like you moving to several foreign countries in a very short period of time. Let 'em chill for a while, and you should RELAX too!

Larry the Lobster
On 12/10/2017 at 11:39 AM, Oldsalt01 said:

They'll move out when THEY are ready. Give them a few days to adjust to their new surroundings. Don't be in a hurry for your clowns. Depending on their source, they just got yanked out of one tank, shipped to your LFS, put in a tank with others, yanked out AGAIN, and stuck in a new tank completely foreign to them. It would be like you moving to several foreign countries in a very short period of time. Let 'em chill for a while, and you should RELAX too!

1 hour ago, crownsbroyal said:

the key to this hobby is patience.  Totally wait on the Nem.  I had a pair for a year before I got a rbta and the clowns were fine.

thank you