Jump to content
AshCom

Potters Angel?

Recommended Posts

Happy Holidays everyone!

With the holiday season, I usually get an influx of requests for aquarium estimates/inquiries through the aquarium service I do on the side. I just finished a 4 month project for a client with a Red Sea Reefer XL 525 (139g) and with his order he gave me a livestock "Wish List" that he, his wife, and his two daughters wrote up. He wanted many species were familiar with, like naked clowns, a pair of purple tangs, Anthias, gobies, etc. There was one fish though I've never in person in my life and it was love at first sight!

 

A Potter's Angel!

potters-angelfish-cropped.jpg

 

Now after contacting my wholesaler, he told me getting a Potters Angel will be an interesting hunt because they aren't requested often! Nonetheless, a few weeks later, I have a 2" little angel in a QT tank, prepping to go into his forever home!

 

I hear they are finicky eaters, but in all reality, all angels can be, but this little guy ate anything I put in front of him. After 3w QT and 1 month in my test tank (with frags to spot nippy fish) he didn't come close to anything but hiding in a leather! Little guy thinks he's a clown!

 

Anyone have any experience with these bad boys? Definitely on my Christmas list!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, AshCom said:

Happy Holidays everyone!

With the holiday season, I usually get an influx of requests for aquarium estimates/inquiries through the aquarium service I do on the side. I just finished a 4 month project for a client with a Red Sea Reefer XL 525 (139g) and with his order he gave me a livestock "Wish List" that he, his wife, and his two daughters wrote up. He wanted many species were familiar with, like naked clowns, a pair of purple tangs, Anthias, gobies, etc. There was one fish though I've never in person in my life and it was love at first sight!

 

A Potter's Angel!

potters-angelfish-cropped.jpg

 

Now after contacting my wholesaler, he told me getting a Potters Angel will be an interesting hunt because they aren't requested often! Nonetheless, a few weeks later, I have a 2" little angel in a QT tank, prepping to go into his forever home!

 

I hear they are finicky eaters, but in all reality, all angels can be, but this little guy ate anything I put in front of him. After 3w QT and 1 month in my test tank (with frags to spot nippy fish) he didn't come close to anything but hiding in a leather! Anyone have any experience with these bad boys? Definitely on my Christmas list!

People love them but there is a reason they are usually listed as “expert only”—- they usually die.

 

They are very pretty though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Wait a while. It will nip at corals. I had to set up a camera to see if my flame was nipping cause whenever anyone was around the tank it wouldn't nip. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Wait a while. It will nip at corals. I had to set up a camera to see if my flame was nipping cause whenever anyone was around the tank it wouldn't nip. 

Well he's got about a week left to claim damages by the fish for his money back or a replacement :lol: I haven't heard anything so I'm not going to ask questions!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

While I've never had a potters, I've had several other types of Centropyge. All have been relatively well behaved with the exception of the cherub. That little bastard destroyed an entire colony of pocillopora. So, it's pretty much a YMMV situation when it comes to any Centropyge.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

All have been relatively well behaved with the exception of the cherub

That's the exact opposite from what I've experienced :lol: My cherub was a model citizen until he got wacked by a CBS. I had a flame take out a whole birdsnest overnight in the test tank.... Multibar had a similar experience. Thank god they weren't my fish and both went into tanks with just LPS :rolleyes: Just called the lost birdsnest "operating costs" on the order!

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I had 5 African flamebacks in one tank. While the male did bully several other fish (especially the chromis), I attributed that to the constant breeding. None of them ever bothered coral. Other than an occasional nip I assumed was algae, as they did the same on the rock much more often.

 

Same experience with coral beauties, though all of them were singles.

 

The cherub was great for several months. Then I noticed a few bare spots on the poci. I didn't think much of it. Noticed it picking at it the next day. I wasn't going to try to net that little bastard out of a tank loaded with rock, besides, the colony was good sized, I figured a trim wouldn't hurt it. The "trim" became a buzz cut within a few days.

Share this post


Link to post

That is a huge tank and if he is well fed he shouldn't bother your corals. Even if he does they should recover. Beautiful little fish!

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/9/2017 at 1:17 PM, AshCom said:

Happy Holidays everyone!

With the holiday season, I usually get an influx of requests for aquarium estimates/inquiries through the aquarium service I do on the side. I just finished a 4 month project for a client with a Red Sea Reefer XL 525 (139g) and with his order he gave me a livestock "Wish List" that he, his wife, and his two daughters wrote up. He wanted many species were familiar with, like naked clowns, a pair of purple tangs, Anthias, gobies, etc. There was one fish though I've never in person in my life and it was love at first sight!

 

A Potter's Angel!

potters-angelfish-cropped.jpg

 

Now after contacting my wholesaler, he told me getting a Potters Angel will be an interesting hunt because they aren't requested often! Nonetheless, a few weeks later, I have a 2" little angel in a QT tank, prepping to go into his forever home!

 

I hear they are finicky eaters, but in all reality, all angels can be, but this little guy ate anything I put in front of him. After 3w QT and 1 month in my test tank (with frags to spot nippy fish) he didn't come close to anything but hiding in a leather! Little guy thinks he's a clown!

 

Anyone have any experience with these bad boys? Definitely on my Christmas list!

I have a potters for nearly a year now, and it's my favourite! Never thought I would ever get such a beautiful fish, but like you, it was love at first sight! Mine only picks at algae on the rocks and glass, and the odd time it picks at algae between corals, with no real damage. I no longer have to scrape my back glass! My rock work has tons of caves, so it feels at home, and it also eats everything I throw in. (I watched it at the LFS for a month before getting it) That's my experience, maybe I got lucky! :D 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×