Top Shelf Aquatics

clowns swimming in the back

The cardinal

I have 2 Percula clown fish in my tank. They are not aggressive but they both swim in the back of my tank and rarely go to the front what can I do to have them go the the front.  And is it normal for them to be in the back?

3 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

They might just be shy or prefer the flow pattern that is back there. 

How long have they been in the tank?

They have been in my tank for 6 days. But before they were swimming up front.

Just now, The cardinal said:

They have been in my tank for 6 days. But before they were swimming up front.

I'd just give them some time.

That's usually how it goes, they're super curious at first and swim about, then settle in one place until they are more confident. (that's what happened with my clowns at least)

even after having them for 6 years and moving from 10g > 30g > 65g  they still hid after they were exposed to a new home. 

It's probably because they are not settled yet, your tank is overstocked, and it's probably related to your tank is 3 weeks old. Cardinal we have been over this several times. Your 4 or 5 fish are suffering and your tank is having problems because you are fully stocking your tank before it's even halfway cycled.

BioDigest is not a miracle cure or an instant cycle method on it's own. BioDigest is one of many products that promises something it can't prove. Yes, many have had success but probably the same amount have used products like BioDigest or Dr.Tims with little or no results. If you read the fine print, it state you must continue to use the product essentially forever because it does not establish a bacteria population suitable for a thriving tank. I don't think many, if any, long time reefers would suggest anything of the sort unless it was to speed up the cycle, not to replace the cycle. To be fair, I think most products claim only to accelerate the cycle, not to completely replace it. You also have uncured dry rock so that will leak as well.

From what I understand here is the current timeline.

~Nov 18: Tank was setup 

Dec 2: tank has fish in it, facing issues, and just began 2nd cycling stage (nitrite) 

Dec 4: Overdoses BioDigest, still has original cardinal in tank  

Dec 5: 3 more fish have been placed in tank, looking to add CUC to lower levels 

Dec 9: New fish facing issues

So as of today, December 9th, your tank is 3 weeks old and fully stocked. We have warned you of issues you will face and you have ignored all of them. Cardinal, I'm following your case because I, like all of us, want to see you succeed and want to help a beginner like yourself, but you blatantly ignoring these huge red flags and selectively using advice that you want to hear, is going to cause issue after issue, the loss of fish, hundreds of dollars wasted, and eventually this tank to fail. From your grammar, I'm guessing you're young or do not proof-read so I'll make this as clear as it gets; I keep harping on you because I have done this before. Most of us have. You need to take every bit of advice you get and research, read, and ask these questions before a single penny comes out of your wallet or a drop of water comes out of a facet. This is what stands between a successful tank or wasting an inconceivable amount of time and money fixing it, if you don't give up first.

For anyone curious what I'm talking about, feel free to catch up:

• Like 1