Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help me fight this little algae before it gets serious!!

CinnamonTorch

CinnamonTorch

Hello all,

i just discovered algae spots all over my live rock today, they are green spots mostly all over the tank.. i use rodi water and i run chemipure and purigen :/ 

i dont know how i began getting this, but please help!! I dont want the algae to spread more! Anything i can do to help the situation and tame the algae spots!?!

water chem is perfect..

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20 (i suspect the nitrate is feeding the algae)

dont have a phosphate test yet..

help!! :P 

just started running my Reef Glass protein skimmer today, lets hope it does some magic in the long run!

my tank is one month old, i have one mocha clownfish, around 10-12 small hermit crabs, and 2 Nas snails. 

Thanks for your help everyone,

IMG_5402.JPG

5 hours ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Hello all,

i just discovered algae spots all over my live rock today, they are green spots mostly all over the tank.. i use rodi water and i run chemipure and purigen :/ 

i dont know how i began getting this, but please help!! I dont want the algae to spread more! Anything i can do to help the situation and tame the algae spots!?!

water chem is perfect..

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20 (i suspect the nitrate is feeding the algae)

dont have a phosphate test yet..

help!! :P 

just started running my Reef Glass protein skimmer today, lets hope it does some magic in the long run!

my tank is one month old, i have one mocha clownfish, around 10-12 small hermit crabs, and 2 Nas snails. 

Thanks for your help everyone,

IMG_5402.JPG

It’s normal........You don’t want white rocks :) first the green, then the purple. 

CinnamonTorch

Thank the lord!! Its only because i used live rock so i thought that the coraline algae would be the algae that starts first (takes a really long time for that algae to grow) but yea i didnt know the rock turns green! 

Earlier this month my live rock turned brown! Now i'm seeimg green spots, and im hoping eventually i'll see purple :) 

thanks everyone!!

Hehe like everyone said don’t worry. My rock is 2 years old , it still has some green coralline algae besides the purple, just adds to the beauty of the overall picture.

Not trying to be snarky, but rather help you, Nitrate at 20 and no phosphate test is not perfect water. :) Prepare to have algae on and off in the tank for the first year until the tank really stabilizes itself...keep track of the parameters and test...especially in the beginning.

Do you run a refugium?

I was proud to read the title of this thread. That attitude will keep your tank uninvaded

just this once though, its ok to leave :)

all is correct above, white rocks are most reflective, make the best use of fish bioloading, and some greens and yellows will come about. Normal

But your original attitude, apply that to the upcoming:

-cyano on the sandbed, not required. anyone with a cyano problem is choosing to keep it, easy to eliminate. They approach cyano opposite to your attitude, so it becomes a problem.

-green hair algae, for sure can be a tank wrecker. That's what I thought Id see when I first click. Your concern is exactly medically indicated to prevent a GHA invasion when it comes up. you can opt out of that, or opt into it, follow your instincts and kill it out / my advice/ when it comes. others take a more relaxed measure (and from those, 40% gain near permanent problems w gha we can easily track)

The full truth is, you have a method available to make your rocks do anything you want. its called lift out the rocks, and scrub X off of them, using a very certain little cheat method at just the right time ha.

I just wouldn't do it now, this tank is on par.

Pls don't change your approach not one iota on the next rounds though, you'll thank yourself one day when its all purple and coral flesh and no invasions.

You will never need to know or test for your nutrients to be algae free.

Knowing and testing is for prevention, your hand has the final say.

You will never need to id any invader whatsoever to be free of it, ID is for cool microscopy threads.

Since you cannot lose your cycling bacteria by cleaning your tank, in any way you want to, that frees you up to opt out of every tank invasion known to mankind except neomeris annulata which will grow on mars, and only the most unlucky hitch that stuff in.

• Like 1

I "had" a green hair algae problem in my fushion 20. 5 snails keep it under control. I am wishing I had a bit more to be able to keep an algae grazing blenny. By the look of your tank once your corals start to grow they will take over any spaces algae may grow.

I like Jambons post too, if someone wants to farm a little algae like a reef does, to help some CUC members, it’s not the end of the world as long as there’s a backup plan. If an area is ever deemed non compliant, and a risk of taking over, then lift out the offender rock and set on the cabinet.

take steak knife and debride, with force, the algae off the rocks using the point of the knife, dig it out harshly in that spot. Rinse the cleaned area with peroxide, then rinse it all off and put back 

reset button option, harmless rock control by force, no algae takes over. We can pretty much catch a nano up from any back log, I guess the only true risk would be hesitating on invasive dinoflagellates or letting a GHA setup get wildly out of control

most Of the invaders we farm out with OCD actually belong on the reef in small zones and for us to be so clean is the abnormal way. My main take is knowing how to be decisive just at the right time~ good post