Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Saltwater Vine?

Teebo

I love growing vines, mainly Pothos out of my freshwater tanks but there is not much other than the 3 species of Mangroves to grow out of saltwater. I live in Florida and I pay attention to anything green along the shore line other than the mangroves. I noticed this vine growing out of salty sand and toward the water, can anyone identify it? If I can obtain some of this I thought it would be a great experiment!

8lvJcCk.jpg

6Tzv9g2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure those are called railroad vines.  I live in South Florida and see them everywhere here on the west coast.  I don’t think they can survive in the reef tank because they (probably) are a land plant.  I’m sure they can survive the high rides and waves and whatnot but not full submersion like a reef tank.  They would need to be in sand, and unless you have a sand bed above the water level, (like on and island) I don’t see it working 

• Thanks 1
On 12/8/2017 at 2:26 AM, Dreichler said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure those are called railroad vines.  I live in South Florida and see them everywhere here on the west coast.  I don’t think they can survive in the reef tank because they (probably) are a land plant.  I’m sure they can survive the high rides and waves and whatnot but not full submersion like a reef tank.  They would need to be in sand, and unless you have a sand bed above the water level, (like on and island) I don’t see it working 

What do you mean? I said I like growing vines OUT OF my tank not in it. As in the root system is in the tank and the foliage is outside the tank. I have a Pothos vine with the lower leaves removed, the vine grows out of my tank and around my house, constantly exporting nutrients. Unless this vine requires a new root site every X-distance it grows I do not see how it would not work? 

Everything I've read about it only says it's salt tolerant. As in it grows on the dunes, not out to the waters edge. I don't think it can root in Saltwater like a mangrove.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Teebo said:

What do you mean? I said I like growing vines OUT OF my tank not in it. As in the root system is in the tank and the foliage is outside the tank. I have a Pothos vine with the lower leaves removed, the vine grows out of my tank and around my house, constantly exporting nutrients. Unless this vine requires a new root site every X-distance it grows I do not see how it would not work? 

This seems very interesting.  Can you post a pic of it?

18 hours ago, Dreichler said:

This seems very interesting.  Can you post a pic of it?

Its just a regular old freshwater vine, very, very, common in the freshwater hobby to grow plants and vines emerging out of your tank. I do not have a photo of it on hand Photobucket trashed all my photos. Google "Riparium" 

21 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Everything I've read about it only says it's salt tolerant. As in it grows on the dunes, not out to the waters edge. I don't think it can root in Saltwater like a mangrove.

Good info, constantly on the search for anything green that will tolerate salt water!