Pod Your Reef

IM 30L skimmer options

Jaredgib

Title pretty much says it all, I’m upgrading my fusion 20 to the 30l and am looking for skimmer options other than the IM Ghost. I have the desktop version and have not been impressed.

Thanks

I'm running an Eshopps Nano and it works, but needs modding to fit in chamber one (tube mod). I almost bit the bullet on a Tunze 9004 but it would mean i'd have to also buy the IM Aqua Gadget Fuge so I could fit it and my chaeto in sump #2. 

I've had a few skimmers for nanos over the years, such as the aqua C remora and the aquatic life 115. I find with any little nano skimmer, they have to be tweaked at the right water level so they don't produce too much wet skimmate. Controlling airflow into the venturi pump with an airline valve helps, as does letting the skimmer get a little dirty. 

• 4 months later...
A Little Blue

Tea like skimming is what can be expected from “nano” skimmers. They simply can’t compete with the big boys. Like you, I have just started lM30L and just like you, I am also researching this topic. I hear mix reviews regarding IM skimmers and they are not on my list. So far, Tunze 9001 or 9004 DC version seem like a better choice (I believe they both have to be installed in either 1st- intake chamber or center-return chamber). 9001 is probably a better fit, unless you don’t mind using 9004 in return pump section. There are few HOB skimmer options you might want to concider but those are not my cup of tea esthetically. Probably gonna pull the trigger on one of those this week. I can let you know my thoughts about it once it arrives.