Pod Your Reef

ADA - the 2 island reef

Andreww

New aquascape, as I was saying in the previous post, 3 islands , keeping anemones and other corals separated this way.

Im on the hunt for a 5”-6” maxima, seen them locally quite a bit lately for around 100-150$ depending on color. That’s going to fill in the middle empty spot on the sand. 

Rock extension coming off the anemone rock onto the sand, will be covered by 1 or 2 rock flower anemones, maybe some green ones to break the orange and red theme a bit.

SPS rock, well I need a couple more sticks over there . 

Im not sure on the frogspawn at the moment but will let it be for now.

Also, green and black Favia is on the bottom glass at the moment. Will need to figure out a place for it eventually.

Constructive criticism welcomed . 

5B829DDB-1793-47C1-B9F4-89973649ADD2.jpeg

3A77752F-0C97-43B1-A4AB-202790FD8851.jpeg

• Like 2

Reason why you really can’t see the separation between the 3 rocks is because I placed the 2 acan colonies in between them.

Im contemplating putting the acans one next to another right where the ricordea is at the moment in the front, and the ricordea can go or get fragged cuz I’ve got plenty of babies at the moment. 

That way it looks separated with more space for fish to swim. 

Suggestions?

6BB55F7C-D981-4B77-9D7A-05923A532F28.jpeg

746EC3DF-C20C-41CD-B0BF-57A7E99A2BFD.jpeg

• Like 2

Went to the grocery store and got one scallop. Guy behind counter thought I'm joking, lol.

Came home, cut it in small pieces, fed the anemones, all LPS, ricordea and fish. All of them loved it.

Mysis and fish eggs got pretty boring so I had to switch it up a little.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
56 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Went to the grocery store and got one scallop. Guy behind counter thought I'm joking, lol.

Came home, cut it in small pieces, fed the anemones, all LPS, ricordea and fish. All of them loved it.

Mysis and fish eggs got pretty boring so I had to switch it up a little.

Yup, had the same reaction when I asked for one scallop 😃

Now I just get a bunch for dinner, and I save one for the tank.

• Haha 1

I have decided to change my salt. I’ve liked the clear mixing of the ESV salt but hated the measuring , etc...just don’t have time for that.

And like Ryan says in one of their BRStv videos, if it’s a hassle then you’re less likely to do it. Lol

Used up 2 big buckets of ESV and transferred to Aquavitro Salinity. Easy to measure but cloudy like no other. After 2 buckets of that, I decided to change to the HW marinemix reef salt and that’s what I got today in the mail.

All these salts have dKh around 9 so that’s something to keep in mind when changing salts as to not jump to a “designer salt” just because . Buy one that will have the Alk that you want to run your tank at.

Mixing water as I type ; I’ll report back on how this salt performs , mixes, etc

5C45299F-0DE0-45F1-A7F0-4BA74DC1D2AD.jpeg

Well the salt mixes super clear in minutes. No residue, just like the ESV minus the measuring hassle.

#1 problem: it mixes to 11dKh. That’s at 1.026 SG.

Here’s the thing. Tested my tank water and ALK has been slowly going up for the past 3 weeks. It’s at 10.5 now. Oops. Need to reduce the dosing. 

So I’m debating if I should just go ahead and use the salt since my level is at 10.5 anyway or bring it back down to 9 and contact BRS for a replacement since this salt is supposed to be at 9dKh out of the box.??‍♂️

Maybe I’ll take the salt out of the bag and put in a bucket and roll it onto the floor and

mix it good and test another batch next week see what gives me. 

CC72A61D-4AFC-4A27-9EC4-B29FF86838C8.jpeg

CF7BFB53-059B-44E6-8FA5-F6619567E6B9.jpeg

I had to weight in the dry sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate on a digital scale and then mix in the other 2 liquid trace elements.

Not as easy as just pouring in the salt.

But not extraordinarily complicated either. I’m just making it sound that way.

Well definitely something’s was off with my test kit or the vial. Wiped off the vial on the inside and tested 2 more times now the aquarium water after the water change. 

dKh is at 9-9.5 both times.

Right where it was after a week and a half of dosing 3ml every day. I knew the consumption couldn’t have gone down....

I don’t have any more freshly mixed saltwater to test again but will do so next week.

I wish all these tests had reliable 100% accurate probes that you can just plug in , drop in, and read the number in real time.

I can dream....😁

On 10/30/2018 at 5:56 PM, Andreww said:

5B829DDB-1793-47C1-B9F4-89973649ADD2.jpeg

not a big fan of the center rock....

move the frogspawn down onto that rock that juts out in front of the monti.  Altho I dont know how well the frogspawn would do next to those two on the sandbed (never own those ones).  If I were you, I'd get rid of the xenia, or reduce its size/amount now while you can.

the acans both look really nice, they deserve more attention vs hidden behind the xenia. maybe move one by the yuma's, but Idk about the other...

Def, good spot for a nice blue maxima dead center on the sandbed.

16 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

not a big fan of the center rock....

move the frogspawn down onto that rock that juts out in front of the monti.  Altho I dont know how well the frogspawn would do next to those two on the sandbed (never own those ones).  If I were you, I'd get rid of the xenia, or reduce its size/amount now while you can.

the acans both look really nice, they deserve more attention vs hidden behind the xenia. maybe move one by the yuma's, but Idk about the other...

Def, good spot for a nice blue maxima dead center on the sandbed.

Thank you. Seriously contemplating on selling the Xenia rock. It’s growing fast.

I could fill that space with the aquamag rock I have and add some SPS on it.  I knew the frogspawn is just not right up there. I could move it down but it will have to be on the right side, the anemone rock. The monti rock down at the base has too much flow going on. Frogspawn won’t be happy there.

Acans don’t deserve to be hidden back there I agree . Hmm...time to put the gloves on.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Maybe I can put the Xenia rock in the sump and just harvest it.

But how is it going to survive the super red and blue spectrum? I’ll just have to try it...

It'll be fine

Meh. Not sure how I feel about the floating shelf. Maybe with some corals on it it’ll change my mind..or maybe I’ll remove it altogether and leave a super empty space in between the 2 big rocks and plant a clam right in between the acans.

Or do all that while leaving the floating shelf?

bah....too much to think about..

Xenia is in the sump. All good .

F8D71B7D-05FD-4382-98F5-8311184104A5.jpeg

CF08D7FB-15CC-474A-81DF-7D28510AF2D7.jpeg

• Like 3

Last minute stop into the LFS and to my surprise , 3 maxima clams all around 6 inches for 150$ each .

They were all on their sides, I put them upright, and one of them immediately started gaping but returned to normal.

The other 2 that I thought are the nicer ones, were pretty closed up and couldn’t take a better look tonight.

Will be back in tomorrow. I put them on hold.

Does the price seem right to you guys? To me it does, considering they’re middle of the road as far as coloration goes.

The closed up one seems like it has the most potential but it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

D600A965-69AC-46FC-8ADA-38570C0D0751.jpeg

Aquademiksreef
On 11/12/2017 at 18:20, Andreww said:

Algum peixe novo entrando hoje. Não tenho certeza o que vou encontrar no LFS mas eles têm muito peixe Nano.

Alguma sugestão ?

Eu sempre google o peixe que eu gosto ali mesmo no local para ver se é adequado para o tanque, mas o conhecimento extra é sempre bom ...

Atualmente tenho par de palhaços. A fêmea laranja e o preto com macho branco que é muito menor, mas eles se dão bem ...

EDIT: Devo dizer, porém, eu perdi alguns jumpers; gramma real, dragonet vermelho, dragonet regular (ambos estavam comendo o nutramar ova e mysis), 1 chromis que foi intimidado pelo palhaço, goby, etc

Alguns eu salvei após o primeiro salto porque eu estava em casa, mas alguns eram suicidas durante a noite ...

Eu sei que uma tela soa como uma ótima idéia, mas oh, como eu odeio a aparência de um tanque sem aro, especialmente porque eu posso ver de cima para baixo em pé ... (meu tanque tem apenas 14 ”de altura).

Parabens pelo aquario!!!! muito Top, eu já tive um shalllow reef que acabei perdendo um casal de fire fish, e alguns gobys, por isso no meu novo aquario, por mais que fique feio, eu prefiro usar tela de proteção, se um dia eu for colocar apenas corais eu tiro, já perdi até peixes palhaços....sucesso!!!

25 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I've always ordered maximas from pacific east aquaculture. The price is great, and you can get a wide array of sizes.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like they only have brown/black ones at the moment and they're pretty small at 2" or under. 

I will keep an eye on their website if I do not find one locally in the meantime.

15 minutes ago, Aquademiksreef said:

Parabens pelo aquario!!!! muito Top, eu já tive um shalllow reef que acabei perdendo um casal de fire fish, e alguns gobys, por isso no meu novo aquario, por mais que fique feio, eu prefiro usar tela de proteção, se um dia eu for colocar apenas corais eu tiro, já perdi até peixes palhaços....sucesso!!!

I am sorry buddy, not speaking the language. Maybe we can try English? Thank you!🙂

Aquademiksreef
4 minutos atrás, Andreww disse:

Muito amigo, não falando uma língua. Talvez presentes tentar inglês? Obrigado! 🙂

I also do not speak your language, if that's why it would not even be in the forum nano reef, more like I love the page use the translator that is automatic ... # isthetip

25 minutes ago, Aquademiksreef said:

This is too weird. Lol

Anyway, my Aquamaxx WS-1 in sump skimmer is going up for sale since I don’t plan on using it anymore and I need the space for something else.

If any of you are interested, please check out the hardware classified forum??

7 hours ago, Andreww said:

Meh. Not sure how I feel about the floating shelf. Maybe with some corals on it it’ll change my mind..or maybe I’ll remove it altogether and leave a super empty space in between the 2 big rocks and plant a clam right in between the acans.

Or do all that while leaving the floating shelf?

bah....too much to think about..

Xenia is in the sump. All good .

F8D71B7D-05FD-4382-98F5-8311184104A5.jpeg

CF08D7FB-15CC-474A-81DF-7D28510AF2D7.jpeg

I like the floating rock, especially after it has coral on it.  Maybe a green birdsnest would be nice or a green slimer that could grow vertical?

• Like 2