Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA - the 2 island reef

Andreww

13 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Justin I don’t know why I haven’t thought about it. Thanks for reminding me. I know BRS has a video on marinepure blocks. Time to re-play it...

I believe the live rock benefit is that it already contains the bacteria and you don’t have to wait for it to colonize new media or rock but I’m definitely looking into the media blocks.

Right now I’m lacking the space and motivation to cure 30 pounds of live rock for weeks.

If all else fails I just might...

I don't think it comes with bacteria (unless there is a specific brick) but the instructions are to soak it for 24 hours with microbacter before putting it in the tank. There are different brick types, I'm not sure what you want to manage better when eliminating dinos but they have a lot of options.

14 minutes ago, JavaJacketOC said:

I don't think it comes with bacteria (unless there is a specific brick) but the instructions are to soak it for 24 hours with microbacter before putting it in the tank. There are different brick types, I'm not sure what you want to manage better when eliminating dinos but they have a lot of options.

I was strictly talking about live rock that’s full of denitrifying bacteria vs base rock or marinepure blocks that are bare surface where bacteria can colonize in time.

Thx for the tip on microbacter. I think I’ll give that 4 inch thick marinepure block a go.

Regarding your question, I’m trying to introduce more bacteria , pods etc along with higher nutrients to outcompete dinos . 

Reading that thread on dinos on R2R for the past 2 weeks made me realize that there are many ways to tackle dinos, yet sometimes none of the possible solutions work.

1 hour ago, Andreww said:

I was strictly talking about live rock that’s full of denitrifying bacteria vs base rock or marinepure blocks that are bare surface where bacteria can colonize in time.

Thx for the tip on microbacter. I think I’ll give that 4 inch thick marinepure block a go.

Regarding your question, I’m trying to introduce more bacteria , pods etc along with higher nutrients to outcompete dinos . 

Reading that thread on dinos on R2R for the past 2 weeks made me realize that there are many ways to tackle dinos, yet sometimes none of the possible solutions work.

Gotcha, I like the idea of adding new bacteria, pods, etc. from time to time. I've seen some amazing tanks that do that, it just always worries me, lol. Hopefully the increase in bacteria in your tank with out-compete the dinos. 

• Like 1

Keeping phosphates detectable, have to dose about 1/2 ml a day.

Dinos aren’t growing , just small strings here and there. A hard green algae has started to grow on rocks which could be a good sign.

Raised the light to 9” above water. 

Brought the 2 “islands” closer together . The monti cap has room to grow now .

Planning to put some nanorox monti magnetic rocks on the right and left side of the rock structure to be able to mount more acros there.

8F09AB40-7839-4708-ADDB-BA3DFB4D17E0.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh ya, the gorgonian is gone.

Lost it’s purple flesh, probably from too much light under the LED, and it was a meh brown except the base. Sitting in my sump until I trade it in to my LFS.

It also shed every 2 weeks on average. Pretty annoying to have its flesh float around the tank .

With the space on the sand, maybe, just maybe, I’ll add a nice anemone for my clowns to enjoy and to have some movement.

Ill probably regret it...

I never thought I’d say this but I feel bad for them going from 3 nems to the return locline and on top of that to get harassed by the lyretail. Lol

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

The tank looks really nice. Try to avoid corals that expel fresh regularly with all the SPS you have. 

Thanks Dave. Thought it was a good idea to add some movement but it wasn’t...

• Like 1

So the dinoflagellates have started a more rampant growth spurt , whatever is fueling them.

Last time when I removed the sand I had the AI Hydra. The tank was so much dimmer without the light being reflected off the sand, and I honestly hated it.

Today I removed 95% of the sand, and the T5 really lights up the tank well. I don’t hate it as much since the tank is still very bright .

Until I get this outbreak under control I need to stay sand free. 

Also per @Tamberav suggestion, I’ll try the DIY recipe of coral snow and possibly remove the carbon reactor. 

Hopefully things will improve from now on.

Need to order the second MP-10. That Koralia looks so ugly...extra flow would help a ton the other side of the tank...

Some updates on livestock:

The starry blenny died a few days ago. Was barely eating and getting skinnier by the day.

I think imma stick to these 3 so far. At one point I was contemplating taking everyone out and put one or more sunburst Anthias in there. They’re different than other Anthias in that they don’t swim much and pretty much sit in one spot a long time and they’re so pretty. Being the only inhabitants would also make the environment peaceful Where no other fish will bully them or steal their food. Idk, I’ll probably get some flame for this but I’ll think about it ....

Rainbow montipora hates me. I’ve had a few on different occasions and they always seem to wither away.

Im gonna move this piece down low to see if it’ll recover.

Other than that, not much happening.

Birdsnest grows well, the others kinda sit there.

Hopefully after dinos are gone they’ll pick up and fill up the space.

E0EAF169-2393-46E9-8EBE-4F2A6E19E450.jpeg

• Like 1

Hope it helps remove the dino for ya. Can't hurt to try.

I am fairly certain I had Ostreopsis dinoflagellate. 

I have a sunburst in my 25g. Wonderful fish! Likes to hover around. Perfect anthia for smaller tanks imo. Totally underated but the price tag may keep people away. They only cost 60 here at the LFS though. 

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Hope it helps remove the dino for ya. Can't hurt to try.

I am fairly certain I had Ostreopsis dinoflagellate. 

I have a sunburst in my 25g. Wonderful fish! Likes to hover around. Perfect anthia for smaller tanks imo. Totally underated but the price tag may keep people away. They only cost 60 here at the LFS though. 

My LFS is getting some sunburst Anthias today.

Im gonna go later this evening and see if they eat ; I already told them to put a hold on the nicest one lol

I love sunburst anthias, if they come in small I'm going to consider one. I picked up a striped blenny  yesterday. He's super fun to watch,  I might look for a canary one as well.

• Like 1

All the fish are out. I really wanted the sunburst Anthias and my fish were all aggressive to some degree so it was one or the other, no way to mix them up since the sunburst is such a calm fish...

Picked up the sunburst this evening, but I tell you I didn’t feel good paying 90$ for it, even though about half was the trade in value.

Oh well, hope it stays healthy. It was eating NLS pellets so that’s a good sign and the coloration is great.

Pics to follow.

btw...the sunburst is about 1.5” long. So really small. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Andreww said:

All the fish are out. I really wanted the sunburst Anthias and my fish were all aggressive to some degree so it was one or the other, no way to mix them up since the sunburst is such a calm fish...

Picked up the sunburst this evening, but I tell you I didn’t feel good paying 90$ for it, even though about half was the trade in value.

Oh well, hope it stays healthy. It was eating NLS pellets so that’s a good sign and the coloration is great.

Pics to follow.

btw...the sunburst is about 1.5” long. So really small. 

woo! The LFS here sells them for 62 which is a nice price, DD wanted 200 🤣

Does it come with any sort of guarantee? 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

woo! The LFS here sells them for 62 which is a nice price, DD wanted 200 🤣

Does it come with any sort of guarantee? 

They replaced the starry blenny but that was a 30$ fish. Not sure on this one....but they only had 2 sunburst Anthias. One was on hold for one of the store employees , so I doubt I’m getting another one if this kicks the bucket, unless I’m willing to wait .

The store owner told me they’re not that common in the hobby .🤷🏻‍♂️

Pics or it didn't happen!

I've seen a wide range on price for Sunburst, just depends on the time of year and amount available. If it looks healthy and is a good size you shouldn't have any issues. I think I remember reading that they have a slower metabolism than most anthias so kind of helps when they're not super fast to eat.

2 hours ago, Andreww said:

They replaced the starry blenny but that was a 30$ fish. Not sure on this one....but they only had 2 sunburst Anthias. One was on hold for one of the store employees , so I doubt I’m getting another one if this kicks the bucket, unless I’m willing to wait .

The store owner told me they’re not that common in the hobby .🤷🏻‍♂️

I wouldn't say they are uncommon, maybe seasonal? They are pretty common right now. 

1 hour ago, JavaJacketOC said:

I've seen a wide range on price for Sunburst, just depends on the time of year and amount available. If it looks healthy and is a good size you shouldn't have any issues. I think I remember reading that they have a slower metabolism than most anthias so kind of helps when they're not super fast to eat.

Yeah, they don't need to eat like normal anthias and don't swim like one. Love mine for a midsized nano. 

2 hours ago, JavaJacketOC said:

Unfortunately it didn’t survive. 😔

It was fine this morning at 9 swimming around the rocks but now just 2 hours later it was just sitting on its side.

We’ll see what the store says....Im pretty disappointed .

B50BD304-6BA5-4022-B864-7712BD07F7DD.jpeg

• Sad 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

Damn that sucks 😞 Sorry 😞 Nothing visibly wrong? Maybe just the stress of being shipped recently? 

Nothing that stands out. I acclimated it right....not sure why ; maybe like you’re saying, just stress of being shipped recently.

I should have probably left it a few more days at the store...

3 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Nothing that stands out. I acclimated it right....not sure why ; maybe like you’re saying, just stress of being shipped recently.

I should have probably left it a few more days at the store...

How did you acclimate it? 

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

How did you acclimate it? 

Temperature and Drip. 1.020-1.025 over 30-35 min period.

Good news is they’ll take care of me and replace it. Just to bring in a water sample and the fish.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Temperature and Drip. 1.020-1.025 over 30-35 min period.

Good news is they’ll take care of me and replace it. Just to bring in a water sample and the fish.

1.020 to 1.025 is a pretty big jump. I use a QT though so I just match the salinity there and raise it more slowly. I did forget to match once and just dumped in my wrasses and they are okay but Idk if every fish would be. 

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

1.020 to 1.025 is a pretty big jump. I use a QT though so I just match the salinity there and raise it more slowly. I did forget to match once and just dumped in my wrasses and they are okay but Idk if every fish would be. 

Yeah I do not have a quarantine. I agree on the big jump...Most of the inverts and fish I acclimated this way survived.

But when the fish is already stressed out, I can see how it’s not the best scenario....