Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA - the 2 island reef

Andreww

12 hours ago, Andreww said:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like they only have brown/black ones at the moment and they're pretty small at 2" or under. 

I will keep an eye on their website if I do not find one locally in the meantime.

Hm. I just looked, it looks like the availability has shifted over the years (it's been like 3 years since I've had a clam, but Dr. Mac comes to most of our local reef events here in DC.) It looks like pricing is about $70 for a smaller gold/lime/black one, or the grab bag when they pick and it's like $60 or something for 2. I remember the 8" maximas (electric blue) back when I had one, going for around $150-180. So to answer your question, yeah, I think for the size it's a good price.

Just a word of caution, I've always been told the larger ones are easier, but in my experience, I've found the smaller ones are easier to grow.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, vlangel said:

I like the floating rock, especially after it has coral on it.  Maybe a green birdsnest would be nice or a green slimer that could grow vertical?

Exactly what I was thinking last night : “Man, a green slimer would look good on that floating rock”. Lol

Green slimer would be my first choice since it grows so thickly branched and it would be like a centerpiece along with the clam . I’m gonna pick one up today. ??

• Haha 1

Clams opened up at the LFS and one of them caught my eye. Had a lot more blue than the others.

So I picked it up, negotiated down to 120$ for it. 

The foot is attached to some rubble which is a plus.

Clean shell and nice mantle . 

Long (ish) acclimation ahead. 

Theyve been at the LFS since last Friday, and they ordered them from sea dwelling creatures . Can’t wait to see it open up and hopefully thrive in my tank. 

• Like 3

Okay, one picture is before I picked it up from the LFS, second one after the long acclimation and being in my tank for 5 min. It’ll probably take some time until it fully opens up.

Hopefully it’ll like that spot on the sand . The clam is dead center under the LED’s and the light is 22” above it.

Ill give it a few days, if it doesn’t like that spot I’ll move it somewhere else.

0F9526B3-967C-4650-ADF2-9E5D7B891889.jpeg

C6966A21-1B52-4487-A202-6BB1FDAAADF0.jpeg

• Like 6

This looks so massive in this small tank but honestly don’t mind it.

Will have to keep an eye on the CA and ALK a bit more and feed some phytoplankton once or twice a week.

BB8EAB05-E15E-4FE8-8C11-DAC4F0BBC1AA.jpeg

• Like 4

Hey Christopher, thanks for stopping by.

By no means is at the point where I’m trully happy with it but it’ll get there eventually. Too much neglect lead to the algae outbreak and limited or no coral growth, loss of color which I still kick myself for....but it’s on the rise for sure...

The clam really is pretty especially for the price. My wife was just happy that I didn’t get a Derasa. She said it resembles too much a ...you know what. Lol

So Maxima it was...and she didn’t even comment at the price so it’s a win win for me 😆

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Fantastic thread dude, great to see how far you have gone.

Thank you! It looks pretty stagnant to me but great to hear some encouragement 😄

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Love the clam! I would love to buy a big one like that, I have had great luck with the big ones before, never tried a small one before, I'm scared. 

Thanks! How big were the ones you had? Got rid of them or died?

I have zero experience with clams, had 2 small ones from live aquaria around 2” if my memory serves me right.

First one DOA, second was dead within 24 hours or so.

They really didn’t ship well and were small to begin with.

Thats why I wanted my next clam from someone local.

I plan to leave in in the sand for another 2-3 days then move it up in the rockwork. I don’t think it’s getting enough light on the sandbed even though my tank is shallow at 14” deep.

After reading James Fatheree article on them, it’s even more obvious they need an exorbitant amount of light to survive years not just a few months.

Looks like Maximas won’t let you know they’re starving for light until the day of. 

I hear you ask where in the world do I have room for it on the rockwork? Lol

I don’t, I’m just gonna put it right on top of the monti cap. Then cross my fingers ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Andreww said:

Thanks! How big were the ones you had? Got rid of them or died?

I have zero experience with clams, had 2 small ones from live aquaria around 2” if my memory serves me right.

First one DOA, second was dead within 24 hours or so.

They really didn’t ship well and were small to begin with.

Thats why I wanted my next clam from someone local.

I plan to leave in in the sand for another 2-3 days then move it up in the rockwork. I don’t think it’s getting enough light on the sandbed even though my tank is shallow at 14” deep.

After reading James Fatheree article on them, it’s even more obvious they need an exorbitant amount of light to survive years not just a few months.

Looks like Maximas won’t let you know they’re starving for light until the day of. 

I hear you ask where in the world do I have room for it on the rockwork? Lol

I don’t, I’m just gonna put it right on top of the monti cap. Then cross my fingers ...

I moved and no longer have them. I had a 6 inch Maxima and a 4.5 inch Crocea. Both were shipped, the maxima from pacific east aquaculture and the crocea from salt critters. I had no issues with them, I did blast them with light and that's about it... had a heavy bioload and plenty of things to filter. 

Having a hard time finding some big ones.

• Like 1

Maybe you can tell your LFS to order you one from sea dwelling creatures . You won’t be able to pick a specific one but I’m sure they can look for a nice specimen if you give them some details.

Too bad we can’t order directly from them. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks if yours does well I will keep that in mind. 

I’ll consider this clam a success (at least temporarily ) if it makes the 3 month mark.

I bought a blue crocea that was 2.75".  I have T5s so I kept it high on the rockwork and the tank had moderate to high nutrients.  Anyway I had Clammy for years until I got into ponies.

I wish you luck with yours.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I bought a blue crocea that was 2.75".  I have T5s so I kept it high on the rockwork and the tank had moderate to high nutrients.  Anyway I had Clammy for years until I got into ponies.

I wish you luck with yours.

Thank you ! I took my skimmer off and only run a sock when blasting the rocks before a water change to catch the extra particles.

Plus I feed my 3 fish every day . I would think I have medium to high nutrients. Started feeding phyto feast as well...oh does that smell...

The good thing is the algae in display is slowly disappearing and the one in the sump is flourishing. The lights in the sump over refugium are much more powerful than the display so that makes sense .

Hopefully the clam will thrive in my tank! And I’m really saying that with zero confidence ....ugh CLAM please be a good girl 😌

• Like 2

Left to San Diego for a couple days with work and my hand was itching last night to move the clam up on the monti.

My wife took a couple pictures and sent them to me...looks like it’s happy!

A30A1D9F-DB38-4C5F-B979-67C597351107.jpeg

• Like 3

I want the monti cap to eventually grow more up to kinda “hug” the clam.

I removed the floating shelf.

I think it looks cleaner. Xenia rock back at the LFS. More room in sump for chaeto.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It looks very clean! Very nice balance of rocks and negative space. 

Thank you! I like the simplicity although I would have liked a few more spots where to mount a few more SPS.

Ill stick them next to the clam and just trim as needed haha

• Haha 1

And a top down shot of this beauty. Monti cap looks weird cuz I accidentally fragged portions of it in the past (more like every time i stick my hand in the tank in that area)but I’m sure I’ll grow back nice and round.

D0E8F0DF-BEA9-4269-88B7-DF9C082C962B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1