Cultivated Reef

Can i put Rose bubble tip anemone after 4 weeks?

CinnamonTorch

CinnamonTorch

Hello all, i'm running a IM Nuvo 10 and i finished my cycle. The tank has been set up for 3 and a half weeks now, live rock, live sand, and established water was used from my lfs. The cycle was extremely quick, and didnt have much of a cycle because nothing really died off.. the only thing i've been lowering is my Nitrates, currently they stay at around 10-15.

i'm ready to start adding things slowly, however i really wanted to put an RBTA in this tank. Knowing that its going to move around, i wanted to place it first, so when it does find its place, i can add my euphylia all around it.. (yes i know rbta can move at any time) however, is it correct or acceptable if i put the rbta now? Will it thrive with the nitrates at 10ppm?

lighting will not be an issue, i'm runing Ai Prime Hd. And return pump has been upgraded to 210gph. 

Everything seems to be doing great in my tank, i have around 10 hermit crabs and they are doing just fine. Is it time to add my anemone? Or do i stick with small frags such as zoas, torch and frogspawns.

thanks fam!

happy reefing

MainelyReefer

No, i would wait Atleast 6 months  for the anemone and that's if everything went perfect.  I would get some corals first as they don't move themselves and are easier.  I got an anemone after 2 months and watched it wither away 2 years ago, don't put yourself through that.  

• Like 1

As long as your tank is cycled. I don't see why not.

I've never had any issues putting a RBTA in my new tanks, so as long as the RBTA you get is a healthy specimen. i.e. no torn foot, relatively good size, etc...

Just don't feed it the first week and let it settle in.

10PPM Nitrate is perfectly fine for RBTAs.

Imo, BTA's are a lot hardier than what online info make it seems.

I remember seeing articles that BTAs require high intense light of 250PAR etc etc...

When I got mine, it stayed where my LPS corals were located. around the 125PAR range. One of the easiest 'corals' to keep in my tank.

The Reef Novice

IMO I would stick with small frags and allow them to develop. Keeping a saltwater tank is all about patience. Let your tank mature a bit, create the proper environment, allow your tank to stabilize, develop your water change routine, testing routine, then add the RBTA. I made the mistake jumped the gun and got one early and it died within 4 months.

If you have to ask, then the answer is no. A tank gains biodiversity and stabilty with age and anemones are much more sensitive to subtle fluctuations. 

I have put my BTA’s in a couple of weeks after the cleanup crew in my last two tanks.  As Nart said, make sure it is a larger, 3 or preferably 4 inch or so, specimen and you should have no trouble.  Smaller specimens have often been relatively recently fragged and they are very sensitive to shipping.  I have found that larger specimens are among the hardiest creatures you can put into a tank.  In. New tank like yours feed it very little for the first few weeks then you can step it up.  Let the tank catch up to the  bioload.

• Like 1

If the tank is cycled and husbandry is god, there's no problem adding a nem.

That nem however will grow and split and dominate the tank. So make sure you have a plan for future coral placement and precautions for when the anemone will inevitably go for a walk. 

• Like 3

Most advise 6 months to allow for stability to develop within the tank. 

New tanks go through instability with parameters, algae blooms, as well as a new hobbiest to become comfortable with a tank.

• Like 1