Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine SpinStream makes way too much noise

CinnamonTorch

CinnamonTorch

Hey everyone, I got the SpinStream for my Nuvo 10 and it seems to be making WAY too much noise (tank is in my bedroom).. will this eventually break in and make less sound? because the flow is amazing, I just can't stand the gear noises it makes.

I heard if I leave it on for a week or so, it will develop some sort of slime coat and the noise will go away, any truth to this or should I try getting a replacement spin stream and testing that one? Thanks

Is it the only flow in your tank? If not and you have additional flow from another power head or a return pump from your filter area, you might be able to put the noisy pump on a timer for when you're not in the room. It's true, corals do like good flow from different directions, but you can simulate a tide cycle by placing you pumps on a simple appliance timer to kick on and off at different times. For example, if you go to work or school, you can set a timer to kick on that pump when you're not home, then off again when you are ready for bed. 

To answer your question, maybe. I can see how bacterial slime might lubricate the gears a bit. However, calcium deposits will just as well gum up the gears a bit, too.

MainelyReefer

Mine quieted down after awhile, but that's in my IM40 with lots of flow, in my IM10 and IM4 the pumps were too weak and the spinstreams eventually seized.  Never happens on the 40 so it's definitely a flow issue.  There's a non mechanical option called the RFG's or random flow generators.  No input on quality or performance yet but will be getting them soon to test on the 40

CinnamonTorch

Thanks for your replies, it is the only source of flow in my IM10. I have uograded the stock pump to an Aqueon 800 which can produce a max of 210gph, which in my opinion is great flow for a 10 gallon tank.. not sure what to do, because the flow looks awesome however the noise is just unbearable 

MainelyReefer

Yea 210gph is sufficient flow for the tank, I meant not ample flow to move the mechanism easily.  Some of the power of the flow is used to drive the gears and that's why it's grinding as it's not a fast even pressure.  That's Atleast what I experienced,  also I asked my wife and she says they are still loud so I guess don't expect it to quiet down too much haha

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Mine quieted down after awhile, but that's in my IM40 with lots of flow, in my IM10 and IM4 the pumps were too weak and the spinstreams eventually seized.  Never happens on the 40 so it's definitely a flow issue.  There's a non mechanical option called the RFG's or random flow generators.  No input on quality or performance yet but will be getting them soon to test on the 40

I can vouch for the RFG in my 14g nano.  amazing device with no moving parts.