weston.bechtold

Project Pico 2.6

weston.bechtold

IMG_5622.thumb.JPG.7f314afedadec6ab9b6b11e31c234250.JPG

Hello all! Just started this account because I am excited to state that I finally started my dream pico tank!  Im using a Fluval Spec 3 2.6 gallon all in one tank, with an adapted Kessil A80 Tuna Blue LED.  I started this tank a little under a month ago and everything is going flawlessly.  I am going for an aquarium full of LPS Euphyllia and a small zoanthid garden.  Im running with a 6.5lb piece of live rock, and about an inch and a half of live sand.  The only upgrade I performed on the tank is the return pump from the stock 29gph pump to a rio that does about 59gph.  Also I use the stock pump as an additional powerhead to get a little more movement.  Live stock so far in the tank is one (tiny) ocellaris clown, blood/fire shrimp and one turbo snail.  For corals I have two torch corals a hammer coral and a small colony of what I think are rasta zoanthids.(Let me know if they are something different!)  Tests are turning out to be...

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

Nitrates-15

PH- 8-8.2

Calcium- 450ppm

Magnesium- 1440 ppm

Alkalinity- 11.9 dkh

IMG_5623.thumb.JPG.1607fa876db31f48a8082b558ea56345.JPG

Im performing small 10% water changes about twice a week and everything seems to be happy and healthy.  I am experiencing the typical Diatom algae and I was wondering if anyone could possible tell me what to do if this gets out of hand or to prevent it from getting out of hand.  I dialed my light schedule down to 6 hours per day max. It isn't super visible in the images because I sifted the sand around a bit before the pictures were taken.  Any feedback, criticism, or comments will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Quick story, the purple torch coral closest to the center actually split in half straight up the branch while I was trying to remove the frag plug!!!:(  But I glued it back together on the outside of the skeleton and it seems to be very healthy.  This incident took place just last night!!

JoeR

Only 2 10% waterchanges a week? I do almost a full water change weekly on my 3 gallon, which is what aid recommend you do. It will keep the diatoms in check too. Oh and I’m not sure a clown was the best choice for a <3 gallon..

weston.bechtold
6 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Only 2 10% waterchanges a week? I do almost a full water change weekly on my 3 gallon, which is what aid recommend you do. It will keep the diatoms in check too. Oh and I’m not sure a clown was the best choice for a <3 gallon..

I was afraid to do more because I thought it would remove too many of the beneficial bacteria?  What do you think if I bump it up to about 20 and change it 3 times a week?  Also is the clown not a good choice because of the amount of ammonia it gives off will be too much for the bacteria in the tank to keep up with? Thanks for the comment btw!!!

gone_PHiSHin

most of your beneficial bacteria is in/on your live rock, and relatively very little is in the actual water column.  one of the benefits of pico tanks is that very large water changes can be done for cheap to sort of 'reset' your parameters.  i would also recommend doing a much larger water change on this tank. 

he mentioned about the clown not being the best choice because he will get too big for that tank very soon.  although he is tiny now, he shouldn't be in anything less than a 10 (long term) in my opinion. people have housed clowns in around 5 gal tanks successfully but they usually get relocated once they get bigger.  also clowns are little pigs when it comes to eating/waste so they will pollute that small of water volume fairly quickly.  

i know you probably don't want to get rid of the little guy but your tank and the fish will be better off down the road.  there is a very limited selection of fish that can thrive in that small of a tank unfortunately.  i'd look into the small gobies available and just keep one of those and some cool inverts.

otherwise the tank looks pretty good!

weston.bechtold
2 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

most of your beneficial bacteria is in/on your live rock, and relatively very little is in the actual water column.  one of the benefits of pico tanks is that very large water changes can be done for cheap to sort of 'reset' your parameters.  i would also recommend doing a much larger water change on this tank. 

he mentioned about the clown not being the best choice because he will get too big for that tank very soon.  although he is tiny now, he shouldn't be in anything less than a 10 (long term) in my opinion. people have housed clowns in around 5 gal tanks successfully but they usually get relocated once they get bigger.  also clowns are little pigs when it comes to eating/waste so they will pollute that small of water volume fairly quickly.  

i know you probably don't want to get rid of the little guy but your tank and the fish will be better off down the road.  there is a very limited selection of fish that can thrive in that small of a tank unfortunately.  i'd look into the small gobies available and just keep one of those and some cool inverts.

otherwise the tank looks pretty good!

thanks for the input!!  Good to know I'm not sucking up all my bacteria when doing water changes!  I will definitely significantly increase the volume that I change.  I'm honestly considering just trading in for baby clowns whenever my current one out grows the tank.... Ughhh why do I have to love clowns so much...

JoeR
23 minutes ago, weston.bechtold said:

thanks for the input!!  Good to know I'm not sucking up all my bacteria when doing water changes!  I will definitely significantly increase the volume that I change.  I'm honestly considering just trading in for baby clowns whenever my current one out grows the tank.... Ughhh why do I have to love clowns so much...

Also doing it 2x a week is too much work lol, one large change a week is easier anyway. But yeah it’s totally safe to Change almost all the water at once. 

The clown is slightly too energetic IMO, I’d recommend a goby, any invert, a damsel, I’ve even thought about the dwarf possum wrasse. There’s plenty of options out there just have to research

gone_PHiSHin

OP you should look at the pico contest going on currently.  you'll notice most of them do large water changes, you just have to match the temp and salinity.  

you'll also get some ideas for how to stock that tank.  i'll be blunt, a clown does not belong in a 2.6 gallon even as a juvenile and you will almost certainly get told this again.  

in any aquarium, especially a pico, STABILITY IS KEY.  why would you want to go through the trouble of reintroducing a new clown every time your current one gets bigger?  that's added stress to you, the tank, and the fish.  that is a bad short term solution to a long term problem.  

and why would you want to constantly give away your pet that you spent time caring for?   if someone told you they kept trading in their puppy for another puppy once it got bigger you would probably look at them funny and say the same thing, no?

YaBoyLaj

awesome little pico, I love the choice of corals, should fill out nicely :)

weston.bechtold
3 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

OP you should look at the pico contest going on currently.  you'll notice most of them do large water changes, you just have to match the temp and salinity.  

you'll also get some ideas for how to stock that tank.  i'll be blunt, a clown does not belong in a 2.6 gallon even as a juvenile and you will almost certainly get told this again.  

in any aquarium, especially a pico, STABILITY IS KEY.  why would you want to go through the trouble of reintroducing a new clown every time your current one gets bigger?  that's added stress to you, the tank, and the fish.  that is a bad short term solution to a long term problem.  

and why would you want to constantly give away your pet that you spent time caring for?   if someone told you they kept trading in their puppy for another puppy once it got bigger you would probably look at them funny and say the same thing, no?

Where can I find  this pico contest???

gone_PHiSHin

in General Discussion

there are about 50 contestants now i believe! and 34 pages to read through...

gone_PHiSHin

also check out the Pico Reefs subcategory in Special Interest.  more specifically this thread.  lots of good info on pico fish there

weston.bechtold

4 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

also check out the Pico Reefs subcategory in Special Interest.  more specifically this thread.  lots of good info on pico fish there

Thankyou so much! I will be looking through these all night! Also, what is your opinion on sand sifting when doing water changes?

gone_PHiSHin

i swear by vacuuming the sand before every water change.  i have gotten rid of cyano on my sand that way and now make it a regular practice.  over time, a lot of nasty stuff can build up in there.  

in a pico, since most people do 100% water changes, and it is harder to get a siphon tube in all the hard to reach spots the sand is, i imagine you can just use a turkey baster to stir the detritus into the water, then change all of it.