Macros in my tank

OttawaMacros

Hello; I just wanted to show you my tank - small 14G curved cube i have for last 10 years.

Since last year, i started to collect some macros and lately i incorporated some gorgonias

and even sponges.

aa.jpg

20171201_235916a.jpg

20171201_185834a.jpg

20171123_191153aa.jpg

20171129_220853a.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome. I would like to incorporate some of the prettier Macros into my display as well. I current have a non-dragon's breath red macro that I'd really like to start with but I find that the slippery-ness of the algae makes it impossible for me to secure to anything and I just end up with bits of macro floating around until it finally disappears entirely.

How do you secure it? And how long before it takes hold enough to not worry about it floating off? And when you do secure it, do you take a huge amount and tie it down and then just let it grow out or do you try to 'make it pretty' from the start and only tie down as little as needed to keep it secured?

3 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

Awesome. I would like to incorporate some of the prettier Macros into my display as well. I current have a non-dragon's breath red macro that I'd really like to start with but I find that the slippery-ness of the algae makes it impossible for me to secure to anything and I just end up with bits of macro floating around until it finally disappears entirely.

How do you secure it? And how long before it takes hold enough to not worry about it floating off? And when you do secure it, do you take a huge amount and tie it down and then just let it grow out or do you try to 'make it pretty' from the start and only tie down as little as needed to keep it secured?

Look for @Weetabix7's threads--one of her recent ones (the 40B I think) she shows how she uses fishing line to attach macros to rock rubble.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, OttawaMacros said:

Hello; I just wanted to show you my tank - small 14G curved cube i have for last 10 years.

Since last year, i started to collect some macros and lately i incorporated some gorgonias

and even sponges.

aa.jpg

20171201_235916a.jpg

20171201_185834a.jpg

20171123_191153aa.jpg

20171129_220853a.jpg

Welcome to NR.  I noticed that this is your first post.  Ten years with a 14G tank shows much stability in tank biofilter.  I recognize the macros that you show in your picture.  The Sargassum macro requires intense light.  It grows attached as opposed to the Sargassum island mats that float everywhere in the GOM.  Also, the Red Grapes, Bortacladia sp, is normally collected in 60’ to 120’ of water.  Not very light intense at that depth.  When I receive it from the divers, it is a vibrant burgundy color.  In my experience, it turns orange and losses flotation balls due to photosynthetic shock.  I had red Grapes go sexual and disappear one year ago.  It now is growing everywhere there is any light, including some light intense areas.  One of your flat bladed red macros is Gracilaria Hayi and another is a Halymenia cultivar.  I really dig the light loving gorgonians.  Also, very nice Red Tree Sponges.

Your tank looks very nice.  You should start a thread in Tank Journal forum.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I love the shots of your macros algaes, gorgs and sponges.  I have a 56 gallon column tank for seahorses with macro algae.  Although everything is more spread out and I do not have as many macros as you, my tank also has sponges and gorgs.