Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sharbuckles Low Boy Lagoon

Sharbuckle

Well it’s time for a new tank build. Originally purchased to be a frag tank I picked up one of ZooMed’s Low Boy 50g. After perusing the TOTM’s I came across two sources of inspiration which have now changed the entire direction of the low boy. 

Those two sources of inspiration are as follows:

AND

Two absolutely beautiful and unique tanks. 

The Aquascape will be very similar to both tank builds above. Almost combining the two with some rocks above the water line with some mangroves as well.

The low boy offers a certain set of challenges as it is only 10” tall. But the 48x24 footprint allows for really cool dimensions as far as scaping goes. 

As I mentioned, I originally purchased the tank to set up as a frag system so to please my better half there will be a large frag area in the sump.

Equipment:

50g ZooMed Low Boy

75g DIY Sump/Frag Tank

Sicce Syncra 3.0 Return Pump

2 Tunze Nanostream 6040’s

Eshopps Eclipse S Overflow

2x250w halide with 2 T5HO

(ReefBrite strips to replace t5’s later)

Eheim Jager Heater

Havent chose a skimmer yet, thinking maybe just a Tunze 9004.

Tunze ATO

Ive got about 75lbs of dry dead rock which I will be using for my scape. Will add about 40lbs of aragonite as well.

Stocking plans will be a mix of macros and corals, softies and LPS mostly. 

Havent put much much thought into fish plans. 

A friend is building a simple 2x4 stand which I may sand and paint white. Simple and effective. It will be 48” high for optimal viewing of the tank.

Pics of the build to come this week! 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The light and the bracing on your tank match.  Why do you want it to be white?

Honesty I’m not sure. ? I had white in my head for some reason.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Honesty I’m not sure. ? I had white in my head for some reason.

Hey its your vision and that is reason enough!  I was just wondering.

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hey its your vision and that is reason enough!  I was just wondering.

I just really like the look of white stands and lights. Clean. You are correct about the Trim already matching though. I’ll stare at it once the stand is built. 

• Like 1

My stand is a soft creamy white but like your tank my bracing is black, (and actually my silicon is also).  I picked this tank, (with its dimensions) so I could keep my light fixture.  It is also black and it never crossed my mind to paint it although I did worry about how it would look.  In the end I decided that it was ok.

6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My stand is a soft creamy white but like your tank my bracing is black, (and actually my silicon is also).  I picked this tank, (with its dimensions) so I could keep my light fixture.  It is also black and it never crossed my mind to paint it although I did worry about how it would look.  In the end I decided that it was ok.

2017-12-05_12-51-45

Here is a tank, cabinet and end tables shot so you can see how it looks.  I painted the hinges and seahorse handle black to tie it all together.  It helps that our fireplace (which you can't see) has cool black wrought iron work and an antique buggy axle painted with black rustoleum hanging on it.  Your decor may not work that in as well.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, vlangel said:

2017-12-05_12-51-45

Here is a tank, cabinet and end tables shot so you can see how it looks.  I painted the hinges and seahorse handle black to tie it all together.  It helps that our fireplace (which you can't see) has cool black wrought iron work and an antique buggy axle painted with black rustoleum hanging on it.  Your decor may not work that in as well.

I like the white cabinet! I may just paint my stand white and call it a day. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

This will be awesome. I love both of those tanks. :)  

Right? They’re so damn nice it’s hard to not take inspiration from them.

4 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

I love those low boy tanks, looking forward to see how this turns out! 

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it too.

Stand is being built tomorrow if all goes well. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, samnaz said:

This should be insanely cool. Think of all the awesome top down viewing capabilities! 

In a way I’ll have to aquascape in from the top as well. I think this will be a super fun challenge. 

• Like 1

Just got a wicked deal on:

75lbs of Live rock

30g brute trash can with float switch

maxi jet 1200

250w heater

for $150! 

What a deal. Fully cured and pest free.

picking up Thursday 

• Like 2