Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

It's a Goby eat Goby world, Sammy...

AshCom

Evening guys and gals!

I've seen something in the past week I have never seen before. :blink: On November 9th, I received a batch of livestock, including a trio of Biota Rainford Gobies, a 1" Tomini Tang, and a tiny 7/8" Cherub Angel. No problems on arrival, all fish extremely stressed but they lived. All fish were drip acclimated for 5 hours and went into QT for 1.5 weeks (until the 20th) for observation because these fish did undergo QT before shipping. No issues arise at all and all fish accepted frozen food and all but the Rainford's accepted pellets (to be expected). After the QT period, the fish were released into my Dorm Tank as a show piece I use for clients (journal in my signature block) and all got along perfect. Rainford's happily began to occasionally sand sift while accepting daily frozen food. Everything at this point was textbook. Within the next week and a half, I lost the 7/8" Cherub to what I imagined was the act of my CBS, because of his injuries. It was a loss but it was originally for a client who backed out and wanted a Flame instead so it is what it is. All was calm until yesterday.

Yesterday I discovered one of the three Rainfords, the second smaller male, ripped to shreds and suspected his fate was similar to the Cherub, with the CBS as the perp. At this point, he has caused me more harm than good and began to make preparations to relocate the f*cker. Today when I come home from work, I find no Rainfords in the tank and begin looking through the glass. Here's where it gets scary! Behind rockwork I find my largest Rainford had killed and was EATING the smaller female! At this point I start removing rocks to reach the body and the cannibal consuming her and discover the male had consumed over half of the female. At this point I swipe up the male into a net and stick him in the corner while I figure what to do at this point.

All three were healthy, active, and eating. No territorial disputes or fights for the female were present from what I've seen, they were a pre-existing trio, and this was out of the blue.... :wacko: Maybe I missed something, but at this point I have a freak of a goby, hands all bit up by clowns, and a cloudy tank from moving around the rocks! Hell of a start to the holiday season....

Anyone else experience anything like this before? I certainly haven't. :blink:

Territorial, fin nipping, and beating up a subordinate, I've seen. How does a rainforest even eat the leash of another fish? There's pretty much no mouth present.

15 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

How does a rainforest even eat the leash of another fish?

He'd thrust his head into the body and rip up. It was pretty terrifying to be honest. The male ripped the stomach open and ate the surrounding flesh, not to mention removed all fins to probably prevent the female from swimming away... Probably going to put the remaining rainford down because I can't imagine what else this guy could do.

Is it possible the shrimp is the murder and the remaining rainford is merely a vulture taking a turn at the platter the shrimp had served?  Eating the fresh flesh of a recently killed tank mate is no different than eating frozen. Or did you catch the rainford in the actual act of killing and not just picking at the body? If so, that would indeed be brutally freaky.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, malacoda said:

Is it possible the shrimp is the murder and the remaining rainford is merely a vulture taking a turn at the platter the shrimp had served?  Eating the fresh flesh of a recently killed tank mate is no different than eating frozen. Or did you catch the rainford in the actual act of killing and not just picking at the body? If so, that would indeed be brutally freaky.

I came home for lunch earlier that day and the remaining two rainfords were swimming about. I removed the CBS and put him in the QT tank as a precaution that morning. came home from work and caught the culprit red handed.

He's been in a time-out since then.

_MG_3094.thumb.JPG.472b95c3fc3a85946a61f66b85d2949c.JPG