Pod Your Reef

Best light for Nuvo 10 Gallon

TheCrockers200

TheCrockers200

Hi there!

Im looking for best lighting options for a 10 gallon nuvo fusion aquarium. Planning on having some corals in it, a leather, a few zoos, and potentially an anemone. We previously had a 100 gallon reef tank that was great and when we moved and bough our first house pretty much everything was decimated after the move. We ended up tearing the whole tank down because we were so upset about losing everything. My husband is who introduced me to saltwater aquariums and I bought him a full setup for a nano tank as he has shown a lot of interest in them. We have a hydra light that was used for our 100 gallon which I know is likely far too much for this tank. Please leave any suggestions for a good light for a first time nano tank! Thank you 

Do you have any budget for a light?  If not, I would recommend an AI Prime, a Kessil A160, it a Radion XR15.  But if you have a budget, state it and I’ll recommend other great lights budget friendly.  Do you plan on keeping any SPS? 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TheCrockers200 said:

Hi there!

Im looking for best lighting options for a 10 gallon nuvo fusion aquarium. Planning on having some corals in it, a leather, a few zoos, and potentially an anemone. We previously had a 100 gallon reef tank that was great and when we moved and bough our first house pretty much everything was decimated after the move. We ended up tearing the whole tank down because we were so upset about losing everything. My husband is who introduced me to saltwater aquariums and I bought him a full setup for a nano tank as he has shown a lot of interest in them. We have a hydra light that was used for our 100 gallon which I know is likely far too much for this tank. Please leave any suggestions for a good light for a first time nano tank! Thank you 

I wonder if the lights can be turned waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down (the Hydra you have) and used?  Way overkill for sure haha. :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

If you don't mind having to manually turn the light on/off everyday, and don't want to keep sps all over the tank I've got a great light for sale for $25-$30 shipped. received_10155809960851532.jpg&key=4d3e6

Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M or AI Prime HD

imo by far the best two lights for this tank

i think the Tide looks much better over the tank though

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, CrazyEyes said:

If you don't mind having to manually turn the light on/off everyday, and don't want to keep sps all over the tank I've got a great light for sale for $25-$30 shipped. received_10155809960851532.jpg&key=4d3e6

Could use a standard timer to do that for ya. ;)  I've got timers on all my tanks, except the one with the AI Prime.

CollegeNanoKid

I run a NanoBox Duo over mine and I love it! Went with a bigger light because I plan to upgrade tanks in the future and this light will be able to stay with me. 

10 gallon stand front with doors.JPG

TheCrockers200
On 12/2/2017 at 10:38 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M or AI Prime HD

imo by far the best two lights for this tank

i think the Tide looks much better over the tank though

Thank you everyone 

TheCrockers200
On 12/2/2017 at 9:30 PM, Dreichler said:

Do you have any budget for a light?  If not, I would recommend an AI Prime, a Kessil A160, it a Radion XR15.  But if you have a budget, state it and I’ll recommend other great lights budget friendly.  Do you plan on keeping any SPS? 

Was looking to stay around 150-200 but am willing to spend more if it’s truly worth it in the end

MainelyReefer

Kessil a160 is what I would personally buy, but in your position I would ramp the hydra down(if it's a 26)and just use that as it is a great light too, you could always sell that one and buy any model/brand you wanted to better suit your tank. Is your current model the 52 or the 26?  Guessing the 52 since it was on a 100 and if it was the 52 it wouldn't work well at all for the 10! Light spill city!  

2 hours ago, mbarton2010 said:

AI Prime HD. I love mine. Grows anything

Can you define everything? I'm thinking about getting a prime but I just wanna make sure it'll be enough for acros.

Just now, CrazyEyes said:

I'm thinking about getting a prime but I just wanna make sure it'll be enough for acros

Gotchu fam

Prime spotlight:

Detailed look at Prime and Prime clusters:

For anyone who's wondering pricing for lighting, here's a breakdown of cost for all the "high-end" and popular lighting options I wrote up for a post asking about lighting on a 40b. Prices are as of 12/3/17 and in USD.

When it comes to AI, Radion, Kessil, or Maxspect; it really comes down to features.

The "popular" brands are as follows (out-of-the-box features):

• Kessil has the looks to humans but lacks the controlablityconnectivity, and power.
  • AI has the connectivity but can become pricey outside of nano.
  • Radions have the power but aren't affordable on an everyday budget.
  • Maxspect has the years of experience but lack of connectivity.

Kessil:

• 1x - A160WE + Mount + Controller = $ 372.95
  • 2x - A160WE + Mounts + Controller = $659.80
  • 1x - A360WE + Mount + Controller = $492.95

AI:

• 1x - Prime HD + Mount = $228.99
  • 2x - Prime HD + Mounts = $457.98
  • 1x - Hydra 26HD + Mount = $424.99
  • 1x - Hydra 52HD + Mount = $674.99

Maxspect: (from Dr Foster & Smith)

• 1x - 20" 15K Razor R420R = $429.99
  • 1x - 27" 15k Razor R420R = $509.99

Radion:

• 1x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mount = $488.00
  • 2x - XR15W G4 PRO + Mounts = $976.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 + Mount = $748.00
  • 1x - XR30W G4 PRO + Mount = $898.00
  • Like 1

I would say go with a prime.  I have 3 of them over my JBJ 45 and I love them.  The coloration is great.  I actually like the blues/whites/greens/reds on the prime more than the Radion.  The only advantage I find with Kessil is the shimmer effect.  It is nice.  But you’ll also need to buy a Kessil controller and deal with that.  The prime just connects to your WiFi through a phone app.  You’ll be able to connect and control your lights wherever you are.  I might have an AI Prime gooseneck or bracket mount in my closet... I’ll be home Dec. 18th if your potentially interested in buying a prime I could probably sell you a cheap mount.

MainelyReefer
11 hours ago, AshCom said:

Kessil has the looks to humans but lacks the controlablityconnectivity, and power

Being a kessil fanboy I have to mention this just isn't true

12 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Being a kessil fanboy I have to mention this just isn't true

23 hours ago, AshCom said:

The "popular" brands are as follows (out-of-the-box features):

In out of the box features, Kessils do not have WiFi/USB/display for control, scheduling capabilities, and do not produce PAR high enough to compare with it's price range contenders.

I was once a Kessil fanboy but found the grass greener and cheaper on the other side ;) Why buy a 360 for the same price as an XR15 G4 Pro.... yeah there's the shimmer but more power.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
22 minutes ago, AshCom said:

In out of the box features, Kessils do not have WiFi/USB/display for control, scheduling capabilities, and do not produce PAR high enough to compare with it's price range contenders.

I was once a Kessil fanboy but found the grass greener and cheaper on the other side ;)

I would agree with the lack of control of the fixture requiring you to obtain the spectral controller for any sort of control besides the knobs. I would disagree with the lack of power as i believe they have plenty of par and have had to turn mine down after bleaching acros. 

That being said I think I would go with an AI fixture if I could do it over again. I would also look into a nanobox, dave has great looking lights that many members on here use with great success. 

Kessil has lost popularity because of the price range, you have to buy all components separately. 

I once liked kessil and then realized I could get a lot more by using an Ai or Nanobox for the money 

• Like 1

I am running an XR15 pro gen 3 over my Fusion 20 and really like it. With that being said, I am also trying to sell it. I just fell in love with the nanobox my brother has and want one.