Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Random Flow Generator (RFG)

NanoRox

Just wanted to share this piece of equipment with you all. I installed the RFG in replace of my standard pump outlet and let me say this thing is very cool.  Instead of the straight line flow I was getting, my flow has not only increased but it is random as the name implies.  I have that true back and forth motion in my corals now with just the addition of this little device...with no additional moving parts.  Not sure if other folks here use them but I highly recommend.

From vivid creative aquatics BTW

RFG.jpg

• Like 2

I use it on my nuvo 10 with a sicce 1.0 and don't have any other powerheads in the tank. It is a cool little piece of equipment! I'm seriously considering them for my nuvo 20 as well... 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

I use it on my nuvo 10 with a sicce 1.0 and don't have any other powerheads in the tank. It is a cool little piece of equipment! I'm seriously considering them for my nuvo 20 as well... 

Mine is on my Biocube 14.  This and my wave pump together have provided the perfect water flow.  All my corals are fully extended.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Word on the street is santa got me 2 of these for my nuvo 40! My wife is so bad at hiding things!

if the word is correct...you will love them!  :-) 

• Like 1

There are a couple of devices like this. Some are stationary and some add movement to an otherwise stationary devices. I see moving vs stationary are in the same price range. So ? - do those of you that have this one have experiences with any others of these random flow creator things? I've been trying to choose between them all - it'd be nice to know if someone had a different one and liked this one better.

so i got one for my IM10.  i used to use a Sicce 0.5 with the stock return nozzle. i am highly against having another powerhead in the display of a ten gallon so once the tank started to fill out i decided to go with the RFG and the Sicce 1.0.

well as much as i wanted to love this setup, i just didn't feel like there was enough flow in the display.  the RFG REALLY cuts back on the output of the return pump.  even with the Sicce 1.0 opened all the way up, the RFG/1.0 combo didn't give as much perceived flow as the return nozzle/0.5 combo.

i really wanted to like the RFG, and i love the idea of it - the spinstream is horrible, and imo a 10 gal should not have an obtrusive MP10 or something similar in the display...however, it just didn't have a strong flow throughout the display.  it certainly randomized like advertised, but i immediately felt like the return pump would have to be a 1.5 or even 2.0 for this thing to be worth it.  i ended up pulling the thing off, putting cheap stock return nozzle back on, and keeping the 1.0 in there anyways and the flow is great with no real sand movement.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

so i got one for my IM10.  i used to use a Sicce 0.5 with the stock return nozzle. i am highly against having another powerhead in the display of a ten gallon so once the tank started to fill out i decided to go with the RFG and the Sicce 1.0.

well as much as i wanted to love this setup, i just didn't feel like there was enough flow in the display.  the RFG REALLY cuts back on the output of the return pump.  even with the Sicce 1.0 opened all the way up, the RFG/1.0 combo didn't give as much perceived flow as the return nozzle/0.5 combo.

i really wanted to like the RFG, and i love the idea of it - the spinstream is horrible, and imo a 10 gal should not have an obtrusive MP10 or something similar in the display...however, it just didn't have a strong flow throughout the display.  it certainly randomized like advertised, but i immediately felt like the return pump would have to be a 1.5 or even 2.0 for this thing to be worth it.  i ended up pulling the thing off, putting cheap stock return nozzle back on, and keeping the 1.0 in there anyways and the flow is great with no real sand movement.  

I don't see that water flow decrease BUT then again I have a bigger pump.  You make a good point that we may  start getting diminishing returns on smaller pumps with this nozzle. 

yeah i just think it should be know that the RFG cuts back the output quite a bit to the point where you're probably not going to just add one to your existing small pump and be impressed 

i mean they have an optimum GPH chart on their site, i just underestimated  it

• Like 1

i really wanted to love it, i just didn't. maybe if it wasn't 3D printed and had a smoother surface there would be less drag?   i'd probably give it a go in a larger tank with a bigger pump

that said, i have the 1/2" RFG and the 19 mm drop fit adapter that was in my tank for a day and has been on the shelf since.  if anyone wants it for like $20 shipped i'll mail out next week so you can try it out?  let me know 

MainelyReefer
13 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

There are a couple of devices like this. Some are stationary and some add movement to an otherwise stationary devices. I see moving vs stationary are in the same price range. So ? - do those of you that have this one have experiences with any others of these random flow creator things? I've been trying to choose between them all - it'd be nice to know if someone had a different one and liked this one better.

Currently using two IM Spinstreams.  They definitely work too and have been great for two years.  I have had one jam up but I cleaned it and it works again.  Initially the spinstreams made a weird click noise that eventually either went away or I'm used to it.  Give me a month and I can let you know how the two stack up after I switch over around Christmas.  My thought was if the RFG's can do an equivalent job to the spinstreams  it would be worth it as no moving parts should mean longer service life. The spinstreams are clunky to look at too.  I have a dc4000 in my 40 and it runs at 10-15% power normally so hoping I can ramp it up to alleviate the issues others have had with the RFG's and maximize my available flow.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
57 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yeah i just think it should be know that the RFG cuts back the output quite a bit to the point where you're probably not going to just add one to your existing small pump and be impressed 

i mean they have an optimum GPH chart on their site, i just underestimated  it

The spinstreams caused a significant decrease in flow too, and didn't even spin on tanks like my im4.  Both the pumps you mentioned are too low flow to utilize the RFG properly.  Perhaps try a larger pump between 300-450 GPH instead of sicce .5(185gph) and sicce 1.0(251). I know those are within the suggested minimum but I'm not surprised as I think any similar item will falter at lower flow too.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anyone who has an IM40 able to reply? I'd love to hear how the dual returns works with a single pump. The above is a little confusing because it suggests each rfg would need 300-450gph to work properly.

I have a sicce 2 (568gph) in the mail. Would that be enough? I am keen to dump these spin-streams.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:52 AM, GraniteReefer said:

Currently using two IM Spinstreams.  They definitely work too and have been great for two years.  I have had one jam up but I cleaned it and it works again.  Initially the spinstreams made a weird click noise that eventually either went away or I'm used to it.  Give me a month and I can let you know how the two stack up after I switch over around Christmas.  My thought was if the RFG's can do an equivalent job to the spinstreams  it would be worth it as no moving parts should mean longer service life. The spinstreams are clunky to look at too.  I have a dc4000 in my 40 and it runs at 10-15% power normally so hoping I can ramp it up to alleviate the issues others have had with the RFG's and maximize my available flow.

Any updates on how the RFG stacks up against the Spinstream. The SS is about as attractive as your run of the mill meth-addicts dental situation, and thus I would be interested in switching over to the RFG in my IM10. I just wanted to get a comparison before making the jump. 

12 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Any updates on how the RFG stacks up against the Spinstream. The SS is about as attractive as your run of the mill meth-addicts dental situation, and thus I would be interested in switching over to the RFG in my IM10. I just wanted to get a comparison before making the jump. 

I don't have a spinstream but I did try the aquatic life macro swing.  It's also fairly large and my RFG worked better IMO with a much smaller footprint.  I put the RFG back.  I will sell the Aquatic life swing for $10 for anyone who wants it.  it works fine...just too big for a 14g IMO

MainelyReefer

Without enough flow the RFG's might not be worth it IMO,  but neither were the Spinstreams on my stock IM10 pump.  To really pull the most out of the RFG's I upped my flow from the 20-30% I was running on my Jebao DC4000 with the spinstreams, all the way up to 60% with the RFG's and the RFG's are no where near as wide of a flow alteration.  I'm sure I could go even higher but I keep LPS mostly.  However since I can have more flow I am sticking with the RFG's and my MP10 will add the extra variance I'm looking for.  If I could stick the RFG of the end of the spinstreams that would be ultra!  I wouldn't mind if it would be uglier than a crack whore's teeth.  If you don't have an adjustable pump, or a vastly oversized one I don't think the RFG's are worth it.  There is no clicking noise the spinstreams initially made, but without actually moving the RFG's just don't do the same thing,  I would recommend them for a bedroom tank over the spinstreams though.  Sorry for no definitive answer but they just aren't astronomically better or worse.  They are essentially a glorified return nozzle that you get to show off(good thing I got the limited edition azure blue ones!)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

Without enough flow the RFG's might not be worth it IMO,  but neither were the Spinstreams on my stock IM10 pump.  To really pull the most out of the RFG's I upped my flow from the 20-30% I was running on my Jebao DC4000 with the spinstreams, all the way up to 60% with the RFG's and the RFG's are no where near as wide of a flow alteration.  I'm sure I could go even higher but I keep LPS mostly.  However since I can have more flow I am sticking with the RFG's and my MP10 will add the extra variance I'm looking for.  If I could stick the RFG of the end of the spinstreams that would be ultra!  I wouldn't mind if it would be uglier than a crack whore's teeth.  If you don't have an adjustable pump, or a vastly oversized one I don't think the RFG's are worth it.  There is no clicking noise the spinstreams initially made, but without actually moving the RFG's just don't do the same thing,  I would recommend them for a bedroom tank over the spinstreams though.  Sorry for no definitive answer but they just aren't astronomically better or worse.  They are essentially a glorified return nozzle that you get to show off(good thing I got the limited edition azure blue ones!)

I also think the RFG may work better on larger tanks because the water stream has a further distance to travel that would allow for more variability.  In our small tanks the flow has to be turned up so high that it blasts out and crashes on the tank walls before any randomness can adequately occur.  having said that, its also the best solution for the random pattern it does provide when compared to larger mechanical devices.   I think there are just limits in tanks under 29 gallons. 

MainelyReefer

Video of torch under the RFG's with an MP10 also in my IM40 if that helps anyone visualize their effect

I posted this in another thread too but thought it would be ok to post here too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had just ordered these yesterday for a JBJ Rimless 30. I will also have a small gyre in the tank and simply wanted to randomize the dual returns. My assumption was there would be some flow restriction. Do those who own this feel the restriction come from the RFG, or more from the drop fit adapter?

MainelyReefer

DCT4000, you have to put on the intake filter/protector thing after sliding it down.  There is threads that I read when looking that detailed it im sure you could find them but the posters used a 3000 or smaller but when looking at the stats the 4000 was essentially the same so I got that and it works great

just checked I've had it since April 4th 2017 here's the link

Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQX5CEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1hwyAbCXG22N8

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 4:39 PM, GraniteReefer said:

Did you upgrade the pump in your IM10? I currently have the Eheim 600, and would like to upgrade to more flow, I was just wondering what you did?