Pod Your Reef

Reefaddiction

Reefaddiction

So I have a strange question for everyone. I’ve noticed what I can only call a strange organ or possibly some kind of worm that has been coming out of my maxima clam right at the inlet siphon. It has recently been coming out later in the evening when the lights start to dim. I’m just wondering if anyone knows what the heck this is and if it’s something to be concerned about. I appreciate any help you guys can offer with figuring out what this is. I took a picture but it’s not the best...

171811D5-E236-4C0D-8E6D-1BBB44354356.jpeg

09C31028-8843-4664-9267-E02D1962D0AE.jpeg

Lots of things can, and do live inside tridacnas. From worms and shrimp, to crabs and fish. Without more info, or better (read able to see more of the animal in question) pics, I'm afraid you won't get much info regarding this. However, you can probably relax, as if you've had the clam for some time, it's likely been there the whole time. Most of these animals typically found inside clams are harmless to the clam, or, cause so little harm, that it's not worth doing anything about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Reefaddiction

I appreciate the advice/input. Clam still seems to be doing well and continues to react briskly. I’ve been doing some reading on this and have found there are a few worms that will host in clams, but I didn’t find much info if they are harmful or if you should do anything about it. Guess I won’t worry to much about it at this time and just hope everything turns out ok. 

It's only harmful if it eats the clam. It's not really a clear enough picture to determine exactly what it is. To me, it almost looks like a little pea crab, which are quite common in bivalves and nothing to worry about. 

• Thanks 1
Reefaddiction

It’s definitely some kind of worm, I got a better look at it a few nights ago. I know the picture isn’t great.  Those pea crabs are kinda cool though... it’s amazing what kinds of things are out there!