Cultivated Reef

Question for Biocube 32 NanoBox retro owners

frootbat

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a Biocube 32 setup and getting one of Dave's retro kits for it.

My question is about summertime temperatures. I know cubes tend to get warm, and was wondering if anyone out there with one of these  in action could give me an idea of how warm the water temp. gets during the summer. I live in Texas so it gets warm, but I will try to keep the ambient room temperature at 77-78 degrees.

I'd like to keep the hood on since the tank is going to be in the living room (I would like it to look more like decorative furniture than an aquarium) would also like to not have to get an ATO if I can help it.

Thanks!!!

Mike

I had a Biocube 32 with the stock led hood and pump at room temperature of about 78 and Tank temp was about 82 to 84.the higher temp towards end lt cycle, it was high enough that I moved the tank for a lower temp.

This guy is extra salty

With stock lights mine heated up to 85

nearly cleared out all my corals, I ended upgrading to a DIY Radion setup. And was able to install multiple fans for the hood to cool off... 

if you want to go cheap you can buy a computer fan and use a 12v DC adapter to cool your tank

D7495C58-A65E-4CBA-B00E-2D42329C0289.jpeg

9E84E502-8D00-4B82-8E6D-833FE0F7F7EA.jpeg

21 hours ago, frootbat said:

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a Biocube 32 setup and getting one of Dave's retro kits for it.

My question is about summertime temperatures. I know cubes tend to get warm, and was wondering if anyone out there with one of these  in action could give me an idea of how warm the water temp. gets during the summer. I live in Texas so it gets warm, but I will try to keep the ambient room temperature at 77-78 degrees.

I'd like to keep the hood on since the tank is going to be in the living room (I would like it to look more like decorative furniture than an aquarium) would also like to not have to get an ATO if I can help it.

Thanks!!!

Mike

So I live in bakersfield ,ca very hot over 100 all summer. I do have solar so I keep my home at 70 degrees.. I didn't run a heater during the summer. With stock return pump, 2 korrilla 425gph and daves retro kit my tank sat at 76 all summer..

• Thanks 1

Ugh. Sounds like even with the retro kit the tank runs at least 5 degrees hotter than ambient temperatures? Not sure I can afford to cool down to 72 degrees during a Texas summer :( I usually cool to 76-78. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the whole cube idea.

4 hours ago, frootbat said:

Ugh. Sounds like even with the retro kit the tank runs at least 5 degrees hotter than ambient temperatures? Not sure I can afford to cool down to 72 degrees during a Texas summer :( I usually cool to 76-78. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the whole cube idea.

Honestly with the lid on you might be screwed.. fyi I have a rimless tank that goes through close to 4 gallons a week. On my cube I use zero bc I do weekly water changes... so consider thay extra watwr vs a chiller 

This guy is extra salty

You could add a sump to it... idk of petco/petsmart still have that tank deal going on but that would dramatically change the temperature of the volume of water

It’s unfortunate that Coralife eliminated the rear maintenance door on the new LED Biocubes.  During the summer months on my Nanobox retro’d Biocube 29 all I have to do is open the rear hatch and run a cheap aquarium fan from Amazon to vent the rear chambers and temps would rarely go above 81 degrees on the really hot days.

• Thanks 1

Adding a small fan in the back chamber would be ideal if you are having issues with the heat. However you will need to replace it once a year due to the salt creep. 

I am curious. A lot of people use these kits and I rarely hear of any heating issues. Remember the more equipment you put in the tank, the more heat. 

-Dave

This guy is extra salty

@DaveFason my issue with heat was the stock lighting, not the Led upgrade. That was the main reason I went with the upgrade, cause of the controllable additional fan option 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Question for Biocube 32 NanoBox retro owners