Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HELP - Swim bladder disorder

FollyFish

Hello

I have a yellow possum wrasse that I think has swim bladder disorder (this is day two since I seen the change in behaviour)

- swims either tail down/nose up or on its side

- stays near the sand or hidden in rocks, wont swim in the open as it did previously

- on eye is significantly larger then the other (swollen)

-shows stress stripes on head and body

-no signs of ick or velvet on it or other fish

-no signs of injury or fin nipping

-fish is still eating but wont chase food

Is this swim bladder disorder? and what should I do to help him?

Tank is at (last water change was 5 days ago as of this post Monday - today is Friday)

Cal - 25 drops /500ppm

KH - 9 drops /161.1ppm

Phos - 0-0.25 ppm hard to tell with kitchen lights

PH - 8

Ammo- 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

I have video but I don't know how to upload it.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Plan of attack

Friday night I cleaned the filter and took out the carbon. I dosed Prazipro according to the directions on the bottle. I have monitored the tank since the dose, there have been lots of hiding by my tailspot (very abnormal, he is normally swimming near my clownfish) and the possum wrasse with both showing signs of stress. My snails are much less active and my shrimps are eating much less then they normally do. My clownfish and YWG have shown no change in behaviour other then slightly less appetite. No effect on my corals SPS, LPS, Softies or NPS. All food is currently being dosed with garlic.

Also I have not noticed any dead bristle worms or any dead flatworms in the water column. This to me is a little odd as I know I have had red flatworms in the past. 

Monday I am going to do a 25% water change and dose Prazipro again with a 1/4 dose to make up for the water change. At which time I am going to wait 5 days before doing another 25% water change and add carbon back into the filter. That time line will depend on how stressed everyone still is.

From what I have read Prazipro will kill any adult parasites within 72 hours and the second dose is to kill any eggs that hatch before they mature and lay new eggs.

After the 2nd water change I plan to start treatment with Metroplex and Focus in the food. I don't know if I should start that treatment right after or if I should wait a few days to a week before the start. Still working on research about that. Also my LFS said that I should not over medicate my tank. But I am taking that with a grain of salt. As when I took the video of the possum wrasse to show the odd swimming behavior they told my that he was fine and I was over reacting. The next day he stopped swimming altogether, did nothing but hide, stopped going for food, and his eye was swollen.

I don't know if my possum wrasse has swim bladder and I can't get him or anyone else to eat peas so I am trying what I can. I have read that swollen eyes can be from a parasite infection, so that is what I am going with.

The possum wrasse died and so did the tailspot that I had of over a year. I found the body of the tailspot this morning. The possum wrasse is gone, no body, I pulled out all the rocks and had a look to make sure. I guess my CUC did there job. I am going to add the carbon back into the filter and do a 25% water change and hope that the two fish that I have left make it.

Sorry for your loss. I wish i'd seen this post sooner.

Praziquantel (bitricide) is used for treating helminths like liver flukes. Without an autopsy under the microscope, you probably wouldn't be able to tell if this was actually a fluke problem or a bacterial infection problem. I'd be worried that adding praziquantel to your main display tank would be detrimental to the health of other inverts in your tank. IME, swim bladder issues and popeye disease are caused by bacterial infections and once fish get an internal infection, they're very hard to treat. Bacterial infections can also be contagious so I would do my best to find the body of that wrasse. If not only for removing a major nitrogen pollution source from a decaying fish.

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss of your fish.

Treating with meds in the display tank Isn't advised. It's Most likely what's causing all the behavioural changes in inverts etc.

The fish may have lost their appetite due to the stress from the meds or they caught what the others had.

It's probably best to treat the others in a hospital tank.