Cultivated Reef

NanoBox Diffuser Splash Guards

DaveFason

Diffusers. They are so the "it" thing right now. If you are new to NanoBox you are unaware that all NanoBox units came standard with this. I changed back to a clear splash guard when people wanted more shimmer. Fast forward and things are changing back to a diffused light. 

I will have these in stock in two weeks. ~7% diffusion. This means you will need to raise ~ 7-10% to achieve the same PAR numbers. Or leave it and see if the diffused light works better for you. 

Mini Body - $14.95

Duo Body - $19.95

Quad Body - $34.95

I am extremely excited that diffusers are back! If you are interested please post on here and I will add you to the list. Once received I will send out PM's and invoices. These will also be added to the website. 

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

EDIT : 

@Rory282

@teenyreef

@burtbollinger

@OldManSea

@frootbat

@BulkRate

• Like 4
burtbollinger

please include me. 

any details on how much shimmer is lost?  similar to the impact the Radion Diffusers...a less intense, wider shimmer?

• Like 1
On 12/1/2017 at 11:28 PM, xiaoxiy said:

Do you have any pics?!

Pictures won't do it it justice. I will take video. 

On 12/2/2017 at 2:42 PM, spectra said:

Do you have one for my light Dave :lol:

I actually like the clear and the shimmer. I am old school and it mimics MH and I love that look ;) 

Totally understand! And yes I could make one for yours :P 

11 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

Is these a benefit to the diffuser or is it just cosmetic?  I love the shimmer so I assume I would not want a diffuser correct? 

This is a debated subject. Blending the colors more evenly helps IMO. But will take the shimmer mostly away. 

11 hours ago, OldManSea said:

I want one for my mini!

:D

• Like 4

So... nigh-total blending (and no more banding whatsoever) at the cost of less shimmery reflections in & around my tank.  Hmmmm... is there a downside to this?

Count me in for a mini - but isn't the splashguard shape different from the stock mini due to mine being one of your round prototypes? 

Diffusers are in! I am shooting two videos along with a few stills. 

Replacing old splash guard roughly has a 5-6% decrease. It allows for better color blending and still great shimmer

Adding the new diffuser splash guard to the current has a 10-12% decrease. Even better color blending and some shimmer. 

I could add spacers but this will kill the entire look of the sleek unit. 

Pictures to come! 

-Dave

• Like 3

After fiddling around with the different scenarios the best option is stacking the diffuser with the current splash guard. This allows extra space between the diffuser and LEDs to work correctly. This ruffly decreases the PAR by ~10%, reduces color banding/disco and reduces shimmer. What I really like most is the "shield" from having the LEDs directly in your eyes. 

I am working on a video the accurately shows the difference. 

Note at the 20-27 second mark is where you can tell the difference. After the 29 second mark look at the bottom left corner to see the biggest difference. It is extremely hard to video to show the difference. 

Diffuser

Diffuser

I will need to order new screws for this to work due to the added length in stacking. I should be able to ship prior to New Years. 

-Dave

dumb question I guess but will ask anyway.  I feel like I need every bit of light I am getting so would I just turn up the % of each color by 10% to accommodate for the loss the diffuser creates?  I see the benefit, just don't want to lose the intensity. 

4 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

dumb question I guess but will ask anyway.  I feel like I need every bit of light I am getting so would I just turn up the % of each color by 10% to accommodate for the loss the diffuser creates?  I see the benefit, just don't want to lose the intensity. 

You got it. Personally I would leave you setting as is and see how things react.