Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I try two orchid dottybacks in a RSR 170?

kinetic

Before the pitchforks come out about dottybacks, I'm specifically talking about the ORCHID dottyback. My other threads are always bombarded with people talking about how aggressive dottybacks are, yet orchids are not (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

So I got an ORA orchid dottyback from Diver's Den, and he's currently in my QT. I was wondering if I could keep two in a Red Sea Reefer 170 (34g display). I have heard some people have had success with orchid dottybacks pairing up, but just wanted to get some more up to date thoughts from the community here.

Thanks!

Well. I ordered it for Saturday delivery... We'll see what happens in the QT. At least they'll be easier to catch in there if anything gets too crazy.

When you get to that point, keep us updated on their interactions with your clowns as well.  Love the color and movement they provide for a tank but I am very wary of their temperament.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Water Dog said:

When you get to that point, keep us updated on their interactions with your clowns as well.  Love the color and movement they provide for a tank but I am very wary of their temperament.

Yep, exactly this. 

As long as they are introduced at the same time, you have a good shot. But once they settle in, they are very territorial. Also, any shrimp or crabs smaller then a full grown cleaner shrimp will also be in danger. Mine is perfectly happy with all the other fish in the display, 6 fish total in a 22L. But if I try to add a new addition...... That is a no go. But, my current Orchid Dotty back is housed with 2 clowns, a green mandarin, Molly Miller Blenny, and a blue Neon Goby. Tank has been going for 2 years now. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Water Dog said:

7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yep, exactly this. 

Yes. From everyone I've talked to who have owned Orchid Dottybacks, including pairs and with clown tankmates, they seem very non-aggressive. They're the only dottybacks that aren't vicious apparently. But yeah, I'll keep a close eye on them. I'm good at catching clownfish, but a dottyback is going to be another challenge if I need to remove them. I am pretty confident that they will be fine with the clowns. With each other? We'll see.

4 hours ago, Muraki said:

As long as they are introduced at the same time, you have a good shot. But once they settle in, they are very territorial. Also, any shrimp or crabs smaller then a full grown cleaner shrimp will also be in danger. Mine is perfectly happy with all the other fish in the display, 6 fish total in a 22L. But if I try to add a new addition...... That is a no go. But, my current Orchid Dotty back is housed with 2 clowns, a green mandarin, Molly Miller Blenny, and a blue Neon Goby. Tank has been going for 2 years now. 

That's good to know. I think the two orchids will be the last major additions (fish wise) to the tank as well. Keyword, "think."

Anyway, the new ORA orchid comes tomorrow (saturday delivery) and I'll plop him into the QT with the other guy. I'll take photos + report back.

I already chimed in on your tank thread but I'll say it here again :D 

I definitely think it's possible but I think it would mostly come down to the personality of the dottys themselves a/ it seems their temperaments can vary. I think they'll be fine with your clowns. My female clown was absolutely fascinated with mine and followed him everywhere.

• Like 2