Cultivated Reef

Would Adding Another Fish Be Feasible?

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

I am thinking about adding another fish to my 25 Lagoon and I was wondering if it would be feasible.  I am wanting to add 1 more because I think it will help keep my nutrients up and also liven the tank up a bit more.  My tank is sps dominant with a ton of flow.  

I have 3 fish at the moment.  I have a small yasha goby.  He's pretty shy and stays towards the back of the tank.  I have a helfrichi fire fish that's kind of shy but usually stays near the bottom of the tank.   The last fish I already is a midas Blenny that was added last.  He's not shy at all.  He's definitely the dominant of the bunch and always swimming around.  

If I get another fish I would really like a Macneill's Assessor Basslet.  I am not sure how he would be compatibility wise with the others, especially the midas.  I would need a fish that won't be beat up by the midas.  

If not the assessor, what other fish would you guys recommend?

Swissguard is a better option imo, smaller and not as aggressive.

Yes a small fish can be added provided your water change schedule keeps up, but you also have to be sure to pick something that will not pick on the firefish.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
4 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Swissguard is a better option imo, smaller and not as aggressive.

Yes a small fish can be added provided your water change schedule keeps up, but you also have to be sure to pick something that will not pick on the firefish.

Water changes and water parameters will be monitored closely, especially after I stripped my water too fast recently.  

Its more compatability with the other fish that I am looking for and if 4 fish in a 25 is fine.  Do you think a midas would pick on the swissguard?  I don't know anything about swissguard behaviors.

I really like the blue assessor though.  One of the sites said it was a shy and timid fish though that hides a lot.  I kind of want something that likes to swim and be out and the open as much as the midas.  

Both are going to be more cave dwelling, but the Blue Assessor is going to defend it's cave more aggressively (hence the larger tank suggestion)

Either could work depending on the temperament of the fish you get. Just like other animals no 2 are the same.

as for 4 fish in a 25...you can easily do that with those fish as they are not messy eaters that create a larger bioload.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

Both are going to be more cave dwelling, but the Blue Assessor is going to defend it's cave more aggressively (hence the larger tank suggestion)

Either could work depending on the temperament of the fish you get. Just like other animals no 2 are the same.

as for 4 fish in a 25...you can easily do that with those fish as they are not messy eaters that create a larger bioload.

Thanks!  I kind of just want a dark fish.  My others are pretty light in color.  Blue assessor is sold out everywhere as well.  Swissguard is a little on the high side for price imo for the look of it.  

Anybody have any other fish suggestions? 

It is a good choise with the assesor... I have a yellow one which is very peaceful. He spends his time in the open and doesn't bother the other fish. He is out waiting for his food when I feed them. The colors of the assesors are quite nice as well.

• Like 1

Both fish would be rather cryptic and shy but both are great addition to reef tanks. If you wanted more activity you could maybe do a pink streaked wrasse or maybe a starki damsel as they are not very aggressive. Also you could maybe do an orchid dotty back or royal gramma. But all are good choices.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I think I have changed my mind to wanting a black cap basslet.  That's if I can find one.  Seems like every time I want a fish, everywhere is sold out of them.  I think this will be a good addition and the last fish for the tank.