Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Red Sea C-130

jasonrusso

I've had a 210 fowler for a few years now, but being a predator tank (Lionfish, porcupine puffer, angler, etc) the water quality is sometimes too hard to keep stable enough for corals. Also, the puffer will likely sample the goods and the lighting and dosing chemicals for 21o gallons (plus the sump) would be cost prohibitive. I'm not about to spend thousands in lighting and then pay for the huge electrical draw.

So, I decided that if I was to do a reef, it was going to be a nano reef. I started looking around and I was just about to pull the trigger on a bio-cube 32.

After reading some reviews and looking at some pictures I changed my mind as started looking into Red Sea 130s.  I liked the look better and I think that the "system" was better designed.

I found a used 130D on FB marketplace. It came with an upgraded skimmer, return pump, sump basket, and media rack. The guy had it in his basement and I made a deal for $225.

Once I got it home, I was disappointed to find that the glass was pretty scratched up, I didn't notice it in the dim light in his basement. I bought some cerium oxide and tried to polish it, but I was unsuccessful.  

Then I found a "NIB" white C-130 on FB marketplace. I negotiated him down to $600. When I went to pick it up, I opened the box and found that the tank was cracked on the back corner. I ended up buying the complete setup for $100. I tossed the tank and bought bare tank from Red sea for $375 wit the shipping. So all in, $475!! 

I swapped the light out for a Steve's LED (I don't like changing bulbs and I like the gradual sunrise and sunset of the LEDs. The stock lighting can't do that, it's all on or off.

Over the years, I bought ALOT of upgrades for my 210, so now I am spoiled. So, the reef had to have an Apex, ATO, battery backup, etc. I bought all this stuff (most used) and installed it this weekend. I had a bunch of rock left over that I had in a tank "curing."

I finally set it up today and fired everything up. The microbubbles are pretty bad (which is expected for all new equipment, especially a skimmer).  I'll just have to wait it out for a couple days/weeks.

Any advice, do's/don't that I should know about? Things you did that you should haven't?

20171126_183820.jpg

20171126_183826.jpg

20171126_183836.jpg

20171126_183845.jpg