ReefCleaners.org

what rock or artificial rock can be cut to shape?

Friendly

hey everyone, what options are there for rock or artificial rock, that can easily cut to shape without breaking or crumbling along the edges cut? 

thinking about an artificial aquascape for the aesthetic properties it would bring.  B) 

xiaoxiy, thanks! I had not heard of this option until now.

I was thinking of buying MarinePure bio blocks/slates and then glue/putty them together to create what I was after.  ;) 

speaking of which, are there other brands/options that provide a product like MarinePure?  :unsure: 

I love just taking a hammer and chisel to some BRS Pukani after power-washing it to take out the bits! I'm old school I guess! :happy: I've always had happier fish and happier clients with DR than that new fangled artificial rock all the cool kids are using!

• 2 weeks later...

^ Lol.

Stax are cool because they do go together like lego blocks. The first time I saw them was a Reefapalooza 2017 highlight reel and they're starting to crop up in the LFS's here. For our 32 g. Biocube, we went with Caribsea Life Rock. It's very colorful and comes in a lot of shapes and designs for aquascaping are pretty easy. You can bond the pieces together with coral glue but we used two part epoxy sticks from red sea (pink color). I like that the life rock is aragonite based and the coloration is second to only real liverock right out of the gate. It's pretty dense which is nice for dentrification down the road but it's only drawback is that it scratches easily. They wrap it in bubble wrap in the box for a reason, because when it scratches the base rock under the paint job is bone white. Not a huge deal but it will take time for the color to mature in scratched spots. It does break apart via hammer & chisel method.

• 2 weeks later...
Larry the Lobster
On 12/5/2017 at 10:06 AM, OPtasia said:

^ Lol.

Stax are cool because they do go together like lego blocks. The first time I saw them was a Reefapalooza 2017 highlight reel and they're starting to crop up in the LFS's here. For our 32 g. Biocube, we went with Caribsea Life Rock. It's very colorful and comes in a lot of shapes and designs for aquascaping are pretty easy. You can bond the pieces together with coral glue but we used two part epoxy sticks from red sea (pink color). I like that the life rock is aragonite based and the coloration is second to only real liverock right out of the gate. It's pretty dense which is nice for dentrification down the road but it's only drawback is that it scratches easily. They wrap it in bubble wrap in the box for a reason, because when it scratches the base rock under the paint job is bone white. Not a huge deal but it will take time for the color to mature in scratched spots. It does break apart via hammer & chisel method.

I also used the Caribsea Life rock it was very easy to aquascape and it looks very nice with its coriline algae color. It is made with no cement and they also give you some cool shapes to work with like arches and caves.