Cultivated Reef

Maroon Clownish has a bite in his tail

NathanielZuniga

NathanielZuniga

I have a 30g biocube with a small Valentini puffer, a small maroon clownfish, and a couple of hermit crabs. I have had them for about a month now and they have all been doing GREAT together. At first the Valentini would pick a little at the crabs but now he doesn’t touch them (doesn’t even touch the snails). I have seen absolutely no sign of hostility towards either of them, but this morning I saw that my maroon clown had a big bite taken out of its tail. Do yall think it was the puffer? I know they are known to nip at fins. What should I do now? The last thing I want to do is get rid of the puffer. Should I change my feeding schedule? I feed once a day at bedtime. Should I feed twice a day? Also will the clown be ok? I was very shocked by this, they have been doing so well. 

B9537305-0A91-448F-AC97-DB9BC1B2C65E.jpeg

Are you sure it wasn't this guy?

vbGfTYp.jpg

He looks like a biter!

But seriously, it was likely the puffer. Keep an eye on 'em to make sure nipping doesn't get worse. 

As long as the clown is healthy the fin should heal up pretty quickly. 

• Like 1
NathanielZuniga
2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Are you sure it wasn't this guy?

vbGfTYp.jpg

He looks like a biter!

But seriously, it was likely the puffer. Keep an eye on 'em to make sure nipping doesn't get worse. 

As long as the clown is healthy the fin should heal up pretty quickly. 

Haha!! I’m going to get them on a better feeding schedule and keep an eye on the puffer. I was just concerned about the clowns health. THANKS!!

i'm actually surprised that maroon isn't taking bites of the puffer!

in my experience, maroon clowns are the kings of the tank, no matter what size the tank and who is joining them!  

obviously keep an eye on them both and feed good foods to both and it'll grow back. if it comes down to it you can always segregate them to allow the healing process.   beautiful lighting btw, but once it grows larger it will be an asshole if it isn't already!

happy thanksgiving!

side note:  i don't know if it's coincidence or not, but i soak all my food in Selcon whenever there is damage to fins or scales, etc...it could do nothing, but ime fish heal faster when fed well and with supplements like Selcon.  the faster the healing the better!

NathanielZuniga
11 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i'm actually surprised that maroon isn't taking bites of the puffer!

in my experience, maroon clowns are the kings of the tank, no matter what size the tank and who is joining them!  

obviously keep an eye on them both and feed good foods to both and it'll grow back. if it comes down to it you can always segregate them to allow the healing process.   beautiful lighting btw, but once it grows larger it will be an asshole if it isn't already!

happy thanksgiving!

side note:  i don't know if it's coincidence or not, but i soak all my food in Selcon whenever there is damage to fins or scales, etc...it could do nothing, but ime fish heal faster when fed well and with supplements like Selcon.  the faster the healing the better!

Haha will do! Thanks so much for the help