ReefCleaners.org

Oracus's custom 20L peninsula tank

Oracus

Turned light out on Saturday and vacuumed sand bed Sunday. Tossed out all sand/gravel that it had been growing on, increased flow and changing filter floss daily. So far it looks to be lessening, I guess i'll see when the lights come back on.  

• Like 1

I Think I may have won the battle. Blackout was probably 2 days and I think the biggest factor was removing sand/gravel beforehand combined with blowing off bed so it would push it into the overflow where i changed the floss twice daily. 

While I was battling this slime stuff I replaced my return pump with a Rio+ 1000 271gph. I also added a purple pocilliapora to DT and orange and purple monti cap that are not doin to well in QT

On 2/28/2018 at 12:37 PM, Oracus said:

I also added a purple pocilliapora to DT and orange and purple monti cap that are not doin to well in QT

Lost the large monti but the small orange is recovering and the purple monti might be starting to turn around. Pocilliapora has been doing well. 

Parameters are looking off

Salinity 1.024

CA 340

DKH 9

MAG 1230

PHOSPHATE >0.03

NITRATE 10

I believe this is due to changing to biweekly WC to raise phosphates and battle the algae stuff which has made a small comeback. 

Indiana Reefin
On 2/15/2018 at 6:33 PM, Oracus said:

Thinking now it might be dinos

20180215_174305.jpg

That looks like diatoms to me. Not Dino’s. You could be introducing silicates to your water. 

21 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

That looks like diatoms to me. Not Dino’s. You could be introducing silicates to your water. 

Thanks. I am only using floss and carbon atm, blowing off bed, corals and changing floss once daily. As long as i doesn't get out of hand, I am going to take it slow. I don't want to make any changes that I cannot track well and pinpoint if it helps or not. Does ro/di not remove silicates? I have well water with a sediment filter and softener before it gets to my ro/di prefilter and carbon filter. So I would hope that is enough filtering for most anything 1 micron and larger.

Indiana Reefin
On 3/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, Oracus said:

Thanks. I am only using floss and carbon atm, blowing off bed, corals and changing floss once daily. As long as i doesn't get out of hand, I am going to take it slow. I don't want to make any changes that I cannot track well and pinpoint if it helps or not. Does ro/di not remove silicates? I have well water with a sediment filter and softener before it gets to my ro/di prefilter and carbon filter. So I would hope that is enough filtering for most anything 1 micron and larger.

Usually you start to get silicates in your RODI water when your filters get old. If the diatoms don’t start going away I would get a silicate test kit. It’s not unusual to get a diatom bloom even on an established tank every once in a while 

• Thanks 1

It seems to be responsive to light. While acclimating a new torch i kept the lights off all day Saturday.  This afternoon when lights came back on the stuff is nowhere to be found. Not sure yet if it was the lights or critters that knocked it down(they were all active at lights on). I will continue to experiment. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, Indiana Reefin said:

Usually you start to get silicates in your RODI water when your filters get old. If the diatoms don’t start going away I would get a silicate test kit. It’s not unusual to get a diatom bloom even on an established tank every once in a while 

Salifert silicate test kit just arrived.  Levels are 0.02-0.03

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update on. The brown stringy stuff has slowly made a come back. I will monitor and do some small scale tests to evaluate reaction to changes ie. light, WC,. Other news was i separated my three clownfish, the two bigger ones were starting to chase and bully the small guy. After two days i caught the small guy and he now lives in my 8gal frag/QT tank