Coral Vue Hydros

Shipping in winter

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

well...can it be done? I was hoping to get some macroalgae for my new 2.5 gallon pico tank, but almost all species are only available online. I was hoping to be there to pick it up within a half hour of its arrival. Thanks

52 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

well...can it be done? I was hoping to get some macroalgae for my new 2.5 gallon pico tank, but almost all species are only available online. I was hoping to be there to pick it up within a half hour of its arrival. Thanks

Winter is the biggest selling time for live stock because we are all inside staring at our tanks. :)  

Most online venders are experienced in shipping to different areas with different weather. You will be fine.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Most dealers (if not all) check the weather for each region and set minimum requirements for heatpacks/coldpacks for the climate on a daily basis. I know with LiveAquaria they pack for 48hrs. My busiest time of the year for clients is the winter and spring!

I am in Canada and we get cold in winter, I have plants and inverts fresh and salt delivered in winter no issue. I don't order fish simply because there is no reason to order from a pet store when local stores can order anything in for the most part, we don't have live aquaria type websites here.

fishfreak0114

I think even if the temp is less than ideal, it likely won't kill the macro depending on what your getting.  But like others said, vendors know how to pack things for different weather.  I've made a couple boxing day coral orders and everything arrived safely, even last winter when we had temps at -20C.  Mind you, I get things shipped to the UPS warehouse so it doesn't spend as long in a truck.

Shipping in winter is definitely doable as others have said, and with macros if you're worried about temps, you can have them sent to your P.O. Box if you have one, and they'll be in nice climate controlled environment till you can get there.