ReefCleaners.org

Is this a crazy Idea ?

tofer

I have a Biocube 32  don't run a skimmer and was thinking (why these things pop into my head when I try to sleep) about putting an air stone in chamber 1. In my mind this is a cheap way to kind of skim with out the collection cup . 

My questions are 

Will this change my water quality  ?

Will this have any bad effects  besides some salt spray on inside of lid and probable having to change floss more then the every 2 days ?

I would think this would raise the oxygen level in the tank yes ?

Will it just concentrate bad stuff and run the chance of creating a huge algae issue and or crash the tank ?

Looking for all views before I do something I will regret 

In essence, it would be beneficial (as opposed to nothing).  It would add a little oxygen (gas exchange), and should help balance pH.

It will not skim protein, or crash your tank.  It will, however, create salt creep.

All in all, I don't believe it will help that much and probably wouldn't do it.  If you really want to go down this road, I'd recommend a small airstone skimmer.  They don't skim all that well (but do a little).  However, it will contain the bubbles and still provide the aeration benefits that you describe.  I'm not necessarily recommending that particular skimmer, but I used one many years ago and it's pretty cheap (not sure how it fits in your AIO).

Really any protein skimmer will provide those benefits.  With the cost of replacement airstones and an air pump, you might consider a DOC 9001 instead.

• Like 4

@seabass 

Thanks for the input . 

I have been trying to research a skimmer and so far have found that  with the new 32 bio cube design  nothing really fits in the first chamber that well . It seems like with the 32 skimmer goes in chamber 2 after getting intake media basket so it will fit . I was going to be getting the intake media basket but also wanted to add the fuge basket as well . 

Things are going  well right now with 5 gal water changes weekly just trying to look down the road  to always improve  . 

2 minutes ago, tofer said:

I was going to be getting the intake media basket but also wanted to add the fuge basket as well .

That should work out nicely for you.

• Like 1