Pod Your Reef

Recommendations for a QUIET & SMALL dc return pump

ajm83

I currently have a "Coral Box DCA1500 DC Water Pump" from Fish Street.  

It pushes water well, but unfortunately makes quite a loud, high pitched humming/whirring noise. Especially when set at the upper end of its power output (over 60% or so).

Can anybody recommend a quiet (/ideally silent) small pump which will push roughly 1500 L/H (400 US gal/hour).  Ideally DC with a controller & feed function.

Thanks

MainelyReefer

I have the jebao dc4000 and definitely know the whir noise you speak of, perhaps buy a larger sized pump and operate it at lower/quieter speeds?  I think D.C. Pumps in general will have that noise associated with them.

• Like 2

Thanks @GraniteReefer 

Unfortunately I'm a bit limited on the width of the pump due to the placement of the baffles in the sump.  I can't really go to a larger model without ripping out the baffles for the third time! :lol:

I will go for an AC pump if I have to, but I haven't seen any small ones with a 'feed' function. 

Since my heater etc is now in the sump,  I'm really worried one day I'll forget to restart the pump after maintenance or feeding and kill the tank.

Something else to consider with a similar feature is a cheaper controller like the reefkeeper lite. It has a standby mode that will turn things off at the push of a button for an amount of time you set. I put my return and heater on a 15 min standby so I can do water changes without worrying about anything. You can find the basic controller with a 4 outlet power bar and temp probe for pretty cheap especially with the Black Friday sales right now

• Like 1
Just now, Lbacha said:

Something else to consider with a similar feature is a cheaper controller like the reefkeeper lite. It has a standby mode that will turn things off at the push of a button for an amount of time you set. I put my return and heater and heater on a 15 min srandby so I can do water changes without worrying about anything. You can find the basic controller with a 4 outlet power bar and temp probe for pretty cheap especially with the Black Friday sales right now

Thanks @Lbacha, I'll check them out.

MainelyReefer

Plus one on the reef keeper lite, I have the basic model on my reefbowl and also use the standby function to shut off pump and heater for an allotted amount of time for feeding and WC's.  Also it has really good heater control as a bonus

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Idk the size of the area you are working with,or what the price range you are aiming for,but the Skimz QuietPro 1.2 should work. BRS has them. 

Don't do it, the Skimz QuietPro are pretty loud too. Reef Octopus VarioS have been the quietest for me. If you hook them up to an Apex controller with the VDM module, precise tuning can be had.

I've done extensive decibel testing on these DC pumps (jebao, skimz, and reef octopus) and the reef octopus is completely silent and a tiny bit audible at 100%. No added decibels to ambient sound when I turned on my VarioS-2 and VarioS-4.

Not sure if the varios are small enough. But seriously, you won't hear them AT ALL.

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 6:40 AM, kinetic said:

Don't do it, the Skimz QuietPro are pretty loud too. Reef Octopus VarioS have been the quietest for me. If you hook them up to an Apex controller with the VDM module, precise tuning can be had.

I've done extensive decibel testing on these DC pumps (jebao, skimz, and reef octopus) and the reef octopus is completely silent and a tiny bit audible at 100%. No added decibels to ambient sound when I turned on my VarioS-2 and VarioS-4.

Not sure if the varios are small enough. But seriously, you won't hear them AT ALL.

Thanks for this.

Don't suppose you know how much can you slow the VarioS-2 down using the controller?  I've contacted RO and not had a reply.  Can't see it in on their site either.

Tom@HaslettMI
8 hours ago, ajm83 said:

Thanks for this.

Don't suppose you know how much can you slow the VarioS-2 down using the controller?  I've contacted RO and not had a reply.  Can't see it in on their site either.

I run a Varios-2 and there are 5 speeds on the controller. I have not tested this, but am assuming the lowest setting is 1/5 of the max rate. So, around 160 GPH. 

Tom

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I run a Varios-2 and there are 5 speeds on the controller. I have not tested this, but am assuming the lowest setting is 1/5 of the max rate. So, around 160 GPH. 

Tom

Yup, I believe that's right. I don't I've seen anyone with a flow meter, but my guess is definitely about 160 for the lowest setting.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I'll check them out and see if the smallest one would do.

Meanwhile I couldn't stand the DC whine from the DCA1500  any longer so I've dropped in an Eheim CompactOn.  It's not silent but nonetheless it's so much quieter and the noise is less intrusive.  Being a dumb A/C pump, for the 'feed' function I found that these timer switches have a programmable countdown function, which allows me to switch the pump off for 10 mins then back on automatically.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9822911

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this with a quick update. The Eheim Compacton 1000 has been running for three  months.  I had to sit it on some foam to prevent 50hz mains hum coming through the cabinet, but that's normal for an A/C pump. With the foam in place it is not silent, but quiet enough that it's not annoying to be in the same room, and the performance is good.  No slowdown at all.