SaltCritters.com

I'm a newb again...well...always have been....

SaltWaterNewb

SaltWaterNewb

Been thinking about giving this SW thing a try again. I was thinking maybe something like a 25g cube (18x18x18) and concentrating mostly on stuff like zoas and duncans. Maybe  a fish or two or just some inverts. 

Just wanted to get some direction as it's been awhile since I've added NaCl to H2O.

I don't want to go as far as setting up an overflow. I was thinking something like an AquaClear 110 HOB with a couple wave makers in the tank and some LED lighting.

I have a huge tote full of rock...how much live rock should I add to the pile of dead rock to help "bring it back to life"? Do I even need to add any live rock? Live sand or just pool filter sand?

Absolutely open to suggestions for any of this. I won't be starting this until early next year so plenty of time to get things figured out. 

Bad first attempt using a 10g tank...never really took off...

38573893071_5094261e41_c.jpg

Unrealistic goal...

38573945831_41cb22969a_c.jpg

• Like 1

Totally a realistic goal to have. 

Not sure on pool filter sand. Live sand is cheap enough for the basic stuff. Regarding the live rock, there are many ways to do that. Regardless, it will take 3 to 8 weeks to cycle the tank properly with new rocks. Clean off the old rocks in RODI or de-chlorinated tap water. Scrub off all the dead stuff and soak them a bit to help. That dead stuff on the rocks should decompose and act as your "dead shrimp" to start the cycle.

Not sure about a 25 gallon with just a HOB. Im sure it has been done but an AIO tank is always an option.

Don't skimp on good equipment to start. I tried to go cheap at first and ended up buying the better stuff later on.

SaltWaterNewb

I was looking at a 25g AIO tank but it's only 12" tall...wasn't sure if that would be an issue. It's 24"x20"x12". A second option is another AIO that's maybe a little better in dimensions at 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" and 30g.

Many people prefer shorter tanks. More room for scaping with corals and the light does not have to be as strong to penetrate to the bottom. Mine is 12" tall and it is plenty tall. Totally up to you though 

You can do a 25g with an hob, just get a decent size hob to run floss and carbon in. Possibly fit the heater in there too.

Pool sand is not a good idea. Stick with aragonite sand. It doesn't need to be live sand. 

As for the rocks, something will need to be done with the dead rock, a bath to clean them. There is tons of info on here regarding methods to prepare the rock's 

SaltWaterNewb

I did just buy (ordered) a tank I was planning to setup freshwater planted. It's a 24x18x18 tank....maybe if I got some acrylic I could build an AIO wall and silicon that inside the tank. I hate to waste that tank but I'm pretty certain the wife won't go for three tanks in the house right now. I already have one and was probably pushing it a little adding the second (that she doesn't know I ordered yet...lol). Probably end up being better off just getting a built AIO but I suppose it's an idea. 

SaltWaterNewb
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can do a 25g with an hob, just get a decent size hob to run floss and carbon in. Possibly fit the heater in there too.

Pool sand is not a good idea. Stick with aragonite sand. It doesn't need to be live sand. 

As for the rocks, something will need to be done with the dead rock, a bath to clean them. There is tons of info on here regarding methods to prepare the rock's 

Yeah...I'd definitely give the dead rock a soak and scrub. Maybe order just a little bit of premium farmed LR just to get some of that live stuff in the tank and some Coralline Algae to seed the dead stuff with. Might as well get some live sand too if I'm ordering anyways.