Red Acans 11/26/17

Euphyllia glabrescens

-Fire Tips Torch coral (AquaSD) 12/6/17

Unknown - Chalice or Favia?

UNS 25C

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Moolelo said:

It is. "Pico of Maryland" ?

Very cool! (I know no Hawaiian unless "aloha" counts :lol:). Looks like a nice setup, is it a cube, or rectangle turned peninsula style? What's the gallonage? Reminds me of my little 2.3 I had back in the spring. :happy:

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Very cool! (I know no Hawaiian unless "aloha" counts :lol:). Looks like a nice setup, is it a cube, or rectangle turned peninsula style? What's the gallonage? Reminds me of my little 2.3 I had back in the spring. :happy:

Every little bit counts ?. Close, it is a 13 liter cube (3.4 gal) from Ultum Nature Systems. My first mainland tank, so I'm learning a few things about the ins and outs of getting setup over here.

• Like 1

Updated first post to reflect coral additions, but shoutout to @AquaSD for the awesome order and taking care of things when UPS took 5 days to deliver the first time! Even got a bonus frag (below), but for the life of me I cannot determine ID yet (Favia?). Maybe when it opens more?

Unknown encrusting
  • Like 3
50 minutes ago, Moolelo said:

Updated first post to reflect coral additions, but shoutout to @AquaSD for the awesome order and taking care of things when UPS took 5 days to deliver the first time! Even got a bonus frag (below), but for the life of me I cannot determine ID yet (Favia?). Maybe when it opens more?

Unknown encrusting

Looks like an acan echinata :) Glad we could help, thanks!

• Like 1

Holy flow!  MP10 in a 25c?!?!?!?  I’m looking at that tank for after the pico contest.  Do you find that the MP10 is blowing the doors off things?  I was considering the Tunze 6040 controllable.

3 hours ago, dmw913 said:

Holy flow!  MP10 in a 25c?!?!?!?  I’m looking at that tank for after the pico contest.  Do you find that the MP10 is blowing the doors off things?  I was considering the Tunze 6040 controllable.

I keep it off the one side and seems to be perfect at the lowest 2 settings for SPS. I can imagine it blowing away LPS, but no issues so far. Guess I'll find out...

Dang, I just found this thread - this is awesome! And welcome to the ASD fan club, every time I order from them I'm just blown away. 

I have one of ASD's "showpiece" stylos in my 40g too. But mine turned from "showpiece" to "very pretty, but plain blue" pretty quickly. Have you been able to keep the cool pink highlights on yours?

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Dang, I just found this thread - this is awesome! And welcome to the ASD fan club, every time I order from them I'm just blown away. 

I have one of ASD's "showpiece" stylos in my 40g too. But mine turned from "showpiece" to "very pretty, but plain blue" pretty quickly. Have you been able to keep the cool pink highlights on yours?

Thanks! This is my first tank on the mainland, so I'm pretty excited by the options. ASD is incredible, unfortunately this tank is only so big.

The polyps are still quite glamorous (glittery and purple/blue) but the body tissue has faded to more of a pale orange pink. I think this had more to do with my high alkalinity (disclaimer I use RSVP salt) and may self correct in a few weeks once everything gets use to it. The torch, a few acros, and my Acans seem to be well on their way. The rest faded out quite a bit with the pocillopora getting pretty white. I started feeding a little between water changes to add some nutrients.

Still really looking for spotted cleaner shrimp for the wife, but no one seems to have gotten any since the hurricane in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Everything is still a faded (probably from acclimating to RSPC high alk), but showing great feeding response already and noticeable growth already (over the past 2 weeks). Checked levels before 100% water change today and alk had fallen to 9.9 dKH and calcium to 440ppm (from 12.5 and 480 respectively). So no to the 100% water change, will have to do 2x 50% to bring levels close and then begin dosing and testing. It is possible that I am using 0.37 dKH per day though since it is a small water volume. Also the barely noticeable nitrate and phosphates completely disappeared after starting Red Sea Reef Energy and upping cylcopod+ feeding. Going to keep checking, but if color begins returning I will assume the coral are taking it all up? Kind of difficult without fish producing waste, got to feed these things myself!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 8:21 AM, Moolelo said:

Thanks! This is my first tank on the mainland, so I'm pretty excited by the options. ASD is incredible, unfortunately this tank is only so big.

The polyps are still quite glamorous (glittery and purple/blue) but the body tissue has faded to more of a pale orange pink. I think this had more to do with my high alkalinity (disclaimer I use RSVP salt) and may self correct in a few weeks once everything gets use to it. The torch, a few acros, and my Acans seem to be well on their way. The rest faded out quite a bit with the pocillopora getting pretty white. I started feeding a little between water changes to add some nutrients.

Still really looking for spotted cleaner shrimp for the wife, but no one seems to have gotten any since the hurricane in the Caribbean.

If she's interested in Pederson's anemone shrimp, I have seen them on LiveAquaria/Diver's Den a few times.  No other kinds though.  My Pederson's is my favorite!

• Like 1

I've always wanted a Pederson's but none of my lfs's carry them and I just can't see paying overnight shipping costs for one. Maybe some day when I need to get some other stuff to make it worth the shipping. I think kpaquatics.com gets them in sometimes too, they have a great selection of shrimp.

10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I've always wanted a Pederson's but none of my lfs's carry them and I just can't see paying overnight shipping costs for one. Maybe some day when I need to get some other stuff to make it worth the shipping. I think kpaquatics.com gets them in sometimes too, they have a great selection of shrimp.

Yeah I added it on a LiveAquaria order.  Actually, I bought 2 but one did not make it past a few days.  :( I'd like to get another sometime.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...