Top Shelf Aquatics

Project Quiet IM Nuvo 40

puffsorted

Can't believe how much I have managed to quieten my Nuvo 40 down with a few mods

1) Ehiem 2000 return pump: Utterly silent, pain in the butt to install as the front needs to be disassembled to fit down the middle chamber then re-assembled underwater after sliding the pump slightly under chamber 2 or 4

2) MP10QD upgrade kit: I was super skeptical about this but the wife was struggling to buy me something as a birthday present so suggested the MP10QD upgrade kit for my MP10ES. Took minutes to fit and the results are startling!! Not sure how it works but it really makes a massive difference, ultra quiet even at mid speeds which is as much as I use on the Nuvo 40

3) Chr1is upgrade for the Ghost Skimmer: Look over on UltimateReef forum for Chr!s's Nuvo 40 Ghost Skimmer Upgrade. Means fitting a bit of silicon sheeting (few quid on ebay) between the pump and the body, plus to the bottom of the skimmer (I just actually sunk a piece to the bottom of the chamber) Spent 15 mins disassembling the Skimmer muttering to myself how stupid this was - BUT! all the rattling sounds have gone! Now super quiet!! Thank you Chr!s!!!

So all in all very pleased. I would recommend all 3 to anyone looking to quieten down their Nuvo 40. Its certainily quiet enough for a bedroom now

To be honest it was never that bad. The skimmer was the worst but even that was quiet compared to the skimmer in my Red Sea Max Nano which was stupid loud. Think I am just obessive with making it whisper quiet

Of course now when the IM Hydrofill pump kicks in it sounds loud enough to wake the dead!

IMG_20171122_075320.jpg

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

I have the same tank! I will be making the Ghost skimmer upgrade hadn't heard of that!  My pump in my skimmer did just short circuit and zapp my tank recently so I actually have a brand new pump in there so it's a bit quieter.  I have the jebao DC4000 as my upgraded return pump. Fully adjustable, feed mode, way quieter than stock. Also have MP10QD. Tank looks great I feel bad for your tang though.  The smart ATO micro is also super loud but the sensors are so much better than the hydrofils.  My buddy owns the Red Sea max nano and had to put it in my house for a few weeks during a move, those things blow and made me not want a Red Sea reefer as the quality was so low fOr the cost.

After the disaster of my Nuvo 24 leaking I swore I would never have another IM tank again. Swapped to the Red Sea Max Nano and though my initial feelings were good the noise of the skimmer drove me nuts. Went back to IM simply because the size was perfect for where I position the tank. Utterly made up with the quality of the Nuvo 40 though, seems so much better than the 24 and more than a match for Red Sea. Ghost Skimmer has been a joy once the micro bubble break in past, now its virtually silent!

Agree about the Tang, he is getting a little large now so will be on his way to a new home soon

Didn't know the DC4000 would fit down there. Good to know

IMG_20171122_112438.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, puffsorted said:

After the disaster of my Nuvo 24 leaking I swore I would never have another IM tank again. Swapped to the Red Sea Max Nano and though my initial feelings were good the noise of the skimmer drove me nuts. Went back to IM simply because the size was perfect for where I position the tank. Utterly made up with the quality of the Nuvo 40 though, seems so much better than the 24 and more than a match for Red Sea. Ghost Skimmer has been a joy once the micro bubble break in past, now its virtually silent!

Agree about the Tang, he is getting a little large now so will be on his way to a new home soon

Didn't know the DC4000 would fit down there. Good to know

IMG_20171122_112438.jpg

Nice set up looks like you made the right choice. What else amazes me is what little salt creep I get in my IM in my last set up lets just say I was getting CREEPED out but these IM's have very little they are awesome.?