Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish fighting

ThorReefer

So I have a question. I bought two clowns online over a month ago for one of my 20 gallons, and they have been getting along just fine and we healthy. Today the small one (male?) began hosting one of my torch corals and was having a great time. As the lights started setting the female (bigger of the two) came over and started squabbling with the smaller one to also host the torch (its quite small compared to the female, and even the male makes it look small) well I noticed that as they were fighting they would end up locking jaws and spinning. I know this is typical behavior for two females, but am just surprised as they have peacefully coexisted for over a month and even been sleeping together and swimming together most of the day, so it seems surprising that the fights would just now begin, and this is the first I’ve seen of it. Has anyone had experience with this before? Is it possible they aren’t both females? Or should I remove the smaller of the two before he/she gets killed? I was hoping to add the pair to a 90 here in a week or two once they passed the QT test..thanks for your help and feedback!

MuffinMonster

I have had two snowflake clownfish for the past two months and they get along and sleep together and everything. But I do see them fighting from time to time. They seem to be pretty aggressive clowns, every time I put my hand in the tank they come up and bite me too. My small male fights back sometimes when the bigger female starts the fights. it usually only lasts a couple nips and then they go back to swimming around with eachother and what not. Theyre funny creatures.

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85

I have a snowflake and Picasso clown. They got along just fine at first but the big one is the snowflake is the big one and it picks on the Picasso sometimes. I thought because they were different species but I was told that not the case with these breeds.  I was reading somewhere that both are probably females and the big is try to make the smaller one change sex. Its a great chance you have two clowns that are females and the small clown hasnt turned into a male yet. Just keep a eye on it. My situation is  they dont fight bbut he snowflake is just bullying the picasso . But you can tell my picasso is turning now because he is very submissive. I know who wears the pants in the tank lol

• 4 weeks later...
BustytheSnowMaam

Pretty normal behavior for clowns.  They'll settle down.  Once one of mine did get a popeye from arguing with the other (probably banged into the rock) and I put him in a quarantine bucket with some epsom salts for a couple of days to let it heal.  

agreed fighting is part of the deal when it comes to clowns. I have a blood orange female and a  orange skunk  male in the same tank  they have taken up in separate anemones but still fight from time to time. They have coexisted for almost 2 years