Pod Your Reef

Bluewater's 1st Salty

BluewaterBoof

BluewaterBoof

Hello all!

Brand new to the site. Brand new to saltwater aquariums. Lots and lots of freshwater setups over the years, but finally taking the dive into the ocean. I hope to learn lots from y'all and have fun in the process. This will be my learning tank. I want to start off small so that I feel comfortable in the future when dropping some serious cash on a large reef.

The following items are ordered - courtesy of Drs. F&S's weekend flash sale.

Fluval Evo 13.5g

Coralife salt mix

Caribsea Arag-Alive white sand

Instant Ocean Hydrometer

Cobalt heater

API Master kit for Saltwater

Anyone familiar with the Fluval? I still have a ways to go before the tank is set up and cycled, but I'm hoping for some feedback on what kinds of corals the stock light can handle. I would eventually like to grab a stronger light, like an SBReef Nano Sprite, so I can try my hand at some SPS, but curious as to what corals I can look at for more immediate stocking once the tank is cycled and stable.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @BluewaterBoof! The Fluval Evo is a pretty popular tank here on the community, I think you'll find some good advice from owners soon.

What kinds of coral are you usually drawn to? Are there some you're hoping to keep? Hardy soft and LPS corals are well within reach with the stock light I'm sure. Lots of vivid soft coral are available: zoanthids, green star polyps, palythoa, mushrooms, ricordea, xenia, leather corals.

Reach out to local or regional reef keeping groups too if you have any available, they can also be a great source of local support (and coral frags!)