ReefCleaners.org

ADA 30W RFA Tank: 4/14 now with 400% more FRA!!

HiImSean

I started my adventures in saltwater with a 5.5g tank. I thought it was much easier than my larger tanks I've had since so I decided to do a pico tank again. After seeing this video I had my mind set on a RFA tank.

Luckily I found a local selling the ADA tank and grabbed a Coral Compulsion par30 bulb. I just plan on running an AC20 with some media in it. Stocking wise, I want some sexy shrimp and some porcelain crabs, no fish. I've got some cured rock so I just need to decide if I want sand or not. The guy I got the tank from used frost paint on the back and I kind of like it so I'll just add a fresh coat to it. Just gotta find a stand and I'll be set.

Equipment List

Tank: ADA 30W 3.5 gallons 30x18x24cm

Light: Coral Compulsion Par 30 14W 22K

Filtration: AquaClear 20 HOB filter

Heater: 25w Eheim Jager

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

• Like 1

The frosted back does look pretty cool.  I'll tag along and see what you come up with in this.  Are you planning on exclusively having RFAs like the above video? 

Looking good!  I need to find one of these great rimless tank craigslist deals.  Everyone in the bay area wants 80% of new price for their old setups, its very strange.  Will you run a heater in the main tank?

Yeah, I've got a 50watt somewhere around the house.

I got a decent deal on the light and tank for $50. I've got to clean the tank up a little. Better than buying a new one for $60+.

• 2 weeks later...

For what you want to keep,it definitely should be. Can you return it ?! Maybe look into a RapidLed par38. Uses all Cree's and Semi's. 

I never liked the spectrum of my 14k par bulb from CC. 

I prolly just keep it. I purchased it from the guy I got the tank from. I like the color so far that the light produces. It should make the RFA pop. I haven't done much else since the light. All the other equipment is still being shipped. I need to find a table to put it on.

My filter came in yesterday! The only thing I'm missing is a stand. I might just use something I have for right now to get it going. I'm debating between black or white sand and I'll probably add some small rubble pieces in hopes the RFA start spawning in the tank. I've got some LR that's been running in SW since early spring so I'll grab a piece or two and toss it in the tank. The one thing I'm not too happy about is how large the heater is. There's no way it's fitting in the back of the AC20 and I really don't trust other brands besides me Eheim Jager.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 9:56 AM, HiImSean said:

My filter came in yesterday! The only thing I'm missing is a stand. I might just use something I have for right now to get it going. I'm debating between black or white sand and I'll probably add some small rubble pieces in hopes the RFA start spawning in the tank. I've got some LR that's been running in SW since early spring so I'll grab a piece or two and toss it in the tank. The one thing I'm not too happy about is how large the heater is. There's no way it's fitting in the back of the AC20 and I really don't trust other brands besides me Eheim Jager.

What heater are you using?  Consider the 25w Archaea heater from AquaForest Aquariums, I have had it in my tank since March or so, and am using in my contest jar.  I posted pics on the Creative Container Contest thread showing a size comparison.  I found it to be slightly too long to feel comfortable putting in the AC20 but I think it will fit without issue in an AC30 and plan to try that.  I have found the heater very steady and reliable thus far.  You can put it on a controller like an Inkbird for added peace of mind.

I got a Eheim Jajger 25watt heater. It is quite large and barely fits in the tank, the filter is out of the question, plus I just got an inTank basket for the AC20. I'll have to look into your heater.

• 1 month later...

I haven't done much with the tank lately. I do plan on getting it wet this weekend. I also I picked up a Nanobox Mini Tide M that should be here Saturday so no more huge gooseneck. I'll get some more pics this weekend when I get it going.

A pair of Pederson's cleaner shrimp would look pretty awesome in this tank.  Bonus in that the choice doesn't rule out any other of commensal anemone dwellers  you're thinking about.

BTW...when you're ready to stock it up, please drop me a line.  I'd be more than happy to piggyback on a VIP order for one or two (plus help out on shipping).  I also have a few tank-bred baby anemones that have grown to juvenile size that can use a good home if you're interested.

Also just put an order in for an Aquaforest Aquariums heater. It's about half the size of the Eheim and has an external temp controller.

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

I've almost exclusively used Ehiem heaters for their durability and great customer reviews, but for this little tank, the 25w is huge.

I think I'll get it filled up this weekend. I just need to find the right ATO. I'd really like to find a Tunze 3155 if I can find one for the right price.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I keep getting lazy and busy on the weekends. I cleaned the tank but it's still not wet. I was going to paint it but it rained all Sunday. I did get a Tunze 3155 for an ATO so I think I'm set with all the equipment. My simple pico tank just became an expensive pico tank lol.

• 4 weeks later...

About two years ago my wife and I lost our dog Toby who was our baby. We had him since he was about 8weeks old. He was one of those once in a life time dogs. He passed at a young age, 9yo, to heart disease.

Since then we started helping out at a dog rescue organization, one of the ones you see out front of Petsmart on a Saturday morning. We've fostered dogs over the last two years also. A few of them had been great dogs but most we were happy they go adopted lol.

In late February we started fostering this new guy, Oscar, who was an owner surrender. Very calm attitude, a bit playful, he was 5yo. We instantly took to each other. After about a week they put him on our site for adoption and they had about 100 emails inquiring about him. After a few days mulling it over we decided to keep him! He's really a great dog, fun to have. We've taken him on hikes up our local mountain and he  pulled me up at times lol

IMG_8505.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

• Like 1

Today my local club, the Atlanta Reef Club, held their annual expo. There was closer to two dozen vendors with all sorts of goodies. I picked up 4 RFA. One is a mystery color, it was closed up so I got it for $10. I’m still going to do a VIP Reef order in the future to get some more variety. I’ll bust out my DSLR tomorrow to get some better pictures and hopefully they’ll be more open. 

CE3876DA-DB57-49BA-A0DA-B3C00D2B4943.jpeg

857232F3-CD5B-491B-96B6-8EFAE0C40860.jpeg

7808D290-6250-4149-8CB7-8E96AFA33704.jpeg

05AC668E-41BB-461B-A001-632FCCD4E009.jpeg

• Like 1