Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20H Stocking

Pdnrnxi

Hi Everyone!

I've always wanted to start a reef tank and right now I'm in the planning phase and will hopefully finally start a tank by this coming spring. I'm having problems deciding what size tank to go with. I definitely want to keep it under 29 gallons because I'm a college student and will likely be moving around a bit so I'm hoping a smaller tank will make moving between living situations easier. I'm leaning most towards a 20 high because I enjoy the aesthetics of a taller tank and the 29 is erring on the large side for me. I also enjoy the look of a 15 gallon but think it's too small for the fish I'd like to keep. These fish include:

1 Blue Dot Jawfish
1 Royal Gramma

1 Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Forktail Blenny

1 Yasha Goby

I guess my question is if a 20H is suitable to house all these fish. I'm mostly concerned with each fish having enough space to establish its own territory. I'm also on the fence about the goby because I fear the jawfish might not appreciate another bottom dweller in the tank. Please let me know what you think!

It is a LOT of fish for a 20g. Not saying it can't be done but you will need to stay VERY on top of water changes and proper filtration.

In order for the jawfish to have any chance of thriving you will also need a deep sand bed -- at least 2-3" deep ... but even that is pushing the minimum limit, and it will cost you a lot of water column height that would otherwise be of benefit to the rest of the fish. Should you decide to trim you list down, that would be the fish to start with.

I would eliminate the jawfish for one reason...  All of them are jumpers.  I bought one because I was amazed by them, even though I’ve had EVERYONE tell me they will jump out.  I had a glass lid on my tank and there’s maybe 1/4 inch gap along the back wall, and he made it out.  I’d also hear him at night thrashing around at the top of the water trying to jump out.  No one knows why and it’s hard to stop because they really will find a hole and they really will get through it.  

Im also a college student and wanted a small tank for convenience of moving around.  But I ended up not going for it because I figured it is a really big hassle to have to breakdown a tank, bag up fish, bag up corals, and have to set it up 2-3 hours later when I get home.  And then repeat that when I go back to school in X amount of days.  If I were you, I would go with something even smaller like an IM 10 gallon or their 16 gallon long.