Pod Your Reef

Angler fish

ReefMagix

whats preventing me from keeping one of these in a pico tank? They literally never move from one spot all day. The least active fish I've ever seen. Why do they need a 20g+ tank..

13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Mine is constantly moving/hunting, sure does love peppermint shrimp though!

41B23594-5F85-46A8-97F3-5164E1C8BD9C.jpeg

Awesome fish!

I had seen pictures of cardinal fish in 3 gallon jar tanks so thought they would be comparable.

13 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

They also get 20 gallon sized. They don't stay small...

Some stay pretty small. Antennarius tuberosus only get to 3.5 inches.

Hawaiian fish, probably can't get any collected anymore (as of a few months ago).

Still high bioload, so you'd need a good system with a decent skimmer (which usually means something at least nano sized).

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
Just now, kinetic said:

Some stay pretty small. Antennarius tuberosus only get to 3.5 inches.

Hawaiian fish, probably can't get any collected anymore (as of a few months ago).

Still high bioload, so you'd need a good system with a decent skimmer (which usually means something at least nano sized).

Was gonna say that only the rare ones stay small. If they were semi regularly available I would snag one up instantly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pappadumplingz said:

Was gonna say that only the rare ones stay small. If they were semi regularly available I would snag one up instantly.

I agree! I was hoping to get one from ZoaCollector, but now that Hawaiian collecting is halted, doubt we'll see them for a good long time.

• Like 1

I think some collectors still have their permits for a while, so a few more could be collected. Or you could buy one from a previous owner already in the states.

The local public aquarium has a Warty in a small setup, but I believe it's connected to a larger system with massive filtration. 

• Like 1

I think I would leave a small one suitable for a Pico tank for the experts. It would be cool. They say these guys settle after they hatch at a very small size... it would be interesting to have a very small one that could make a meal out of a few brine shrimp. I just grabbed this off the net.

How could you resist one of these1

Frogfishbaby.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/26/2017 at 6:42 AM, jambon said:

I think I would leave a small one suitable for a Pico tank for the experts. It would be cool. They say these guys settle after they hatch at a very small size... it would be interesting to have a very small one that could make a meal out of a few brine shrimp. I just grabbed this off the net.

How could you resist one of these1

Frogfishbaby.jpg

Okay you cant just leave that teaser and not tell us anything else!

On November 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM, ReefMagix said:

Okay you cant just leave that teaser and not tell us anything else!

Sorry it was the image I got from the net. I only wish I could snag one that size!