Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2.5 gallon pico

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! I am starting a 2.5 gallon pico tank (chiefly macroalgae oriented but may eventually add corals) in a large critter keeper and will record my progress here. No pics yet, but I will describe it;

Filtration - internal homemade bottle filter (currently only some gravel to keep it down, but will have phosguard, carbon, and denitrate in it). Powered by two air lines, sufficient to keep brine shrimp slowly in suspension in the tank. Considering getting a small internal filter instead to improve circulation...

Heater - generic 25 watt

Flora - None currently (am adding caulerpa and chaeto tonight)

Fauna - None currently

Lights - A 20" and a 12" LED light from cll petsuppilies, a seller on Ebay. I have no PAR reading, but they produce 3,360 lumens put together and consist of 50% 10000k, 40% blue 460 nm, and the rest red and green LED's

Water changes; Just set it up Friday, will start with 40% weekly (1 gallon)

Feeding; have fed flakes and brine shrimp (how often should I feed a pico?)

Will add pics at a later date.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Hello all! I am starting a 2.5 gallon pico tank (chiefly macroalgae oriented but may eventually add corals) in a large critter keeper and will record my progress here. No pics yet, but I will describe it;

Filtration - internal homemade bottle filter (currently only some gravel to keep it down, but will have phosguard, carbon, and denitrate in it). Powered by two air lines, sufficient to keep brine shrimp slowly in suspension in the tank. Considering getting a small internal filter instead to improve circulation...

Heater - generic 25 watt

Flora - None currently (am adding caulerpa and chaeto tonight)

Fauna - None currently

Lights - A 20" and a 12" LED light from cll petsuppilies, a seller on Ebay. I have no PAR reading, but they produce 3,360 lumens put together and consist of 50% 10000k, 40% blue 460 nm, and the rest red and green LED's

Water changes; Just set it up Friday, will start with 40% weekly (1 gallon)

Feeding; have fed flakes and brine shrimp (how often should I feed a pico?)

Will add pics at a later date.

Sounds neat!  What sort of macros do you plan to keep?  Do you have a link to the lights, they sound interesting!

For feedings, maybe try once a week followed within a day or so by a large water change. :)

• Like 1
AlmightyJoshaeus
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sounds neat!  What sort of macros do you plan to keep?  Do you have a link to the lights, they sound interesting!

For feedings, maybe try once a week followed within a day or so by a large water change. :)

Here is a link to the lights; https://m.ebay.com/itm/12-48-LED-Light-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-0-5W-Full-Spectrum-Plant-Marine-FOWLR-/262793246177?skus=Suitable Tank Length:12"&varId=561788792726

Seem to be suitable...the macro algae were producing oxygen bubbles within minutes of introduction.

• Like 1
AlmightyJoshaeus

Purchased some Halimeda opuntia, Red Gracilaria, and Fine branched coralline algae today...awaiting their arrival :) Also purchased some seachem reef complete to maintain the Halimeda and coralline.

AlmightyJoshaeus

My new macroalgae arrived in very good shape, with some extra caulerpa and a snail (which, not thinking, I failed to acclimate :( ) to boot. Here's a tank pic;

IMG_20171130_105458.jpg

On 11/30/2017 at 2:49 PM, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

My new macroalgae arrived in very good shape, with some extra caulerpa and a snail (which, not thinking, I failed to acclimate :( ) to boot. Here's a tank pic;

IMG_20171130_105458.jpg

What kind of macro did you get? Snail most likely will be ok.

AlmightyJoshaeus

Gracilaria, Halimeda optunia, branching corraline algae. Will likely get a bigger tank in the future for my 'macros'...I realized I like them A LOT

13 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Gracilaria, Halimeda optunia, branching corraline algae. Will likely get a bigger tank in the future for my 'macros'...I realized I like them A LOT

They are pretty cool!  Look for Yoshii's 5.5 and 10 gallon macro tanks, and got2envy used to have them too; hopefully pics will still be viewable and not ruined by the Photobucket debacle.

Oh, and Weetabix's 4 gallon macro pico.

• Like 1
AlmightyJoshaeus

The tank is doing well :) everything was producing copius oxygen bubbles yesterday with the lights on. However, the Gracilaria has paled to a pink color, with new growths being clear...is this too little nutrients or too much light? Here is a picture

IMG_20171203_180723.jpg

20 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

The tank is doing well :) everything was producing copius oxygen bubbles yesterday with the lights on. However, the Gracilaria has paled to a pink color, with new growths being clear...is this too little nutrients or too much light? Here is a pictureimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

IMG_20171203_180723.jpg

It's possible it may be dying. :(

AlmightyJoshaeus

Rats! It has started to fall apart too :( Not a good way for this tank to start. At least the Halimeda and Corraline seem to be doing well...no loss of color and good photosynthesizing