Jump to content
Lypto

Magnet decompsition danger?

Recommended Posts

Lypto

Hello everyone! this morning I decided to overhaul my tank and to my surprise, my powerhead's ceramic magnet fell out and released a cloud of black powder. all of my corals immediately began to shrink up little bits of magnet went everywhere. I don't know what the long term effects of this will be, has anyone had this happen to them? I think the seal broke and let salt begin to corrode the magnet. I've been fighting an algae outbreak for a while now, and was wondering if this could be a contributor.

Share this post


Link to post
Lypto

Update: All my corals actually went back to normal after I removed a lot of my sand, I think I'll take this as an opportunity to try bare bottom. The magnet is all rusty so I'm wondering if I was accidentally iron dosing.

Share this post


Link to post
GraniteReefer

I would do big WC's and I think your on the right track exchanging or removing the sand bed.  Look for an adsorption media that could potentially remove heavy metal contaminants that may linger.  While iron may attribute to algae issues I doubt it was the cause as iron is only a portion of what's needed for algae to flourish.  What brand of power head was it? And potentially get a comprehensive water analysis done.  Triton I think does it

Share this post


Link to post
Lypto

Hydor korralia. I'm putting some carbon in, the xenia won't like it but It's safest. I did a 70% water change 

Share this post


Link to post
dandelion

Why not just put a crowbar in there in blow at rocks with a baster. Magnetic dust would stick to your crowbar. A wrench would work too. Maybe even a ruler made out of iron.

Share this post


Link to post
dandelion

I’m just more worried about your powerheads because they all use magnets, whether permanent or electro.

Share this post


Link to post
Lypto

I think it was just a single failure, the seal holding the magnet to the suction cup was broken, it was also next to the heater so expansion and contraction over time may have been a contributor. I ran a big neodymium magnet through the sand, got some little pieces and some iron dust. I'm moving to a 20 gallon soon anyway so it doesn't really matter, I hope the rocks haven't absorbed anything.

Share this post


Link to post
dandelion

I don’t think the rock could. Like I said just blow at it.

 

I’m not talking about worrying your other powerhead leaking magnetic dust. I’m worried the dust may jam your other powerheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Lypto

lucky I only have 1 running 

*I've since found that somebody else had this issue on Nano reef, and that the magnets very likely contain Zinc and other heavy metals.

*Hydor Korralia's customer service says that they've not seen this issue before on the new pumps, only ones that were discontinued more than 8 years ago. I bought this one recently however, and other people have been having issues as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...