Top Shelf Aquatics

Designing new tank- advice needed!

p.o.t.u.s

Hello all,

I'm in the planning phases of designing a tank. I'd like some advice on the design of the build out.

While doing my research, I came across the sc aquarium "plug and play" 50 gallon starfire system

I have some questions about the quality of the tank and of the build. I like the ease of a plug and play system, but I have some questions/concerns about sacrificing ease for the best component products out there.

1. I've seen some mixed reviews on the skimmer that comes with it: SCA-301. Would the eshopps x-120 be better,
or is there a better skimmer that you would reccomend? 

2. I'd like to start with LPS, but shift over to SPS once I get more experience. I've been eyeing the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w G4 LED. Is this overkill over a 50 gallon cube? If not, is it worth getting the pro version versus this version?

3. The SC aquarium tank comes with a PH2500 utility return pump. My impression is that this is not the quietest of pumps--and I'd like quiet. Would using an Eheim 1260 work, and if so, would it be better/quieter?

4. The tank comes with a durso standpipe. I assume that a herbie would be significantly quieter. Does anyone know if SC will plumb a herbie drain?

I know I will have more questions, but 4 seems like a good place to start! 

THANKS! 

Since you're looking for an all inclusive system with stand and sump, look into the Red Sea Reefer series. 

As for the rest, first we need to know how much you're willing to spend:

1) An amount commensurate with your username. IOW, "classy"

2) Wiling to drop some dough but let's not get crazy here

3) let's pretend like I'm still a poor grad student

6 hours ago, p.o.t.u.s said:

1. I've seen some mixed reviews on the skimmer that comes with it: SCA-301. Would the eshopps x-120 be better,
or is there a better skimmer that you would reccomend? 

2. I'd like to start with LPS, but shift over to SPS once I get more experience. I've been eyeing the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w G4 LED. Is this overkill over a 50 gallon cube? If not, is it worth getting the pro version versus this version?

3. The SC aquarium tank comes with a PH2500 utility return pump. My impression is that this is not the quietest of pumps--and I'd like quiet. Would using an Eheim 1260 work, and if so, would it be better/quieter?

4. The tank comes with a durso standpipe. I assume that a herbie would be significantly quieter. Does anyone know if SC will plumb a herbie drain?

1.  A Small Sump like the one that comes with that SCA I Would consider a BM Curve 5 (I think the footprint would be fine)  look for Black Friday Deals

2. No 1 fixture would not be overkill, and I would honestly suggest getting 2 Fixtures over a 50 Gallon, You can turn them down in the meantime and when ready for SPS turn them up a bit. Though SPS can be considered more difficult to some than LPS you might just want to Start out with SPS, this way you spend less money, don't have to try and balance a mixed tank when the time comes to start SPS, and in the meantime you get more experience and knowledge into keeping an ultra low nutrient system.

3. Can't speak for the return pump but I'm sure It will do just fine for the System, you can always throw in a rubber mat to get rid of vibration noise, whats special about the Eheim? I would think if your wanting Herbie you would want an adjustable DC to put less reliance on a Gate Valve.

4. Durso can be  quite, the huge advantage of Herbie is the emergency Drain to avoid a clogging followed by overflow.  This in fact is SCA I would assume they would drill the extra hole at an additional cost, otherwise if not you can just drill the extra hole yourself on the back wall on the opposite side of the tank for the return.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, calvin said:

Since you're looking for an all inclusive system with stand and sump, look into the Red Sea Reefer series. 

As for the rest, first we need to know how much you're willing to spend:

1) An amount commensurate with your username. IOW, "classy"

2) Wiling to drop some dough but let's not get crazy here

3) let's pretend like I'm still a poor grad student

Thanks for the suggestion.  The Red Sea E-170 or E-260 sounds like it might do the trick.  

To answer your question, budget is probably between 1 and 2.  

I would say go with one of the Red Sea tanks that best fits your budget and size.  In my opinion, the Red Sea Tank’s are like the Rolls Royce of aquariums.  They are beautifully designed and use the highest quality components.  Remember though, when buying a Red Sea online, read carefully exactly what the package comes with because some come with lights and some don’t, even though they picture lights.  Some come with return pumps and some don’t.  I believe none of them come with a skimmer though.  

I’m looking at the E-170.  My concern is the light.  The tank is 24 inches wide,  but the recommendation for the Hydra 26 is 18 inches.  The Hydra 52 has a 24 inch recommended spread.  Is this a legit concern?  

24 inches wide, you’ll be good with one Hydra 26.  Another option would be to put two or three AI Primes and you’ll get less shadowing since you can angle both lights slightly onwards and space them further away from each other, unlike the two LED pucks on the hyrda, they are stuck close together.

I’ve spent some time researching, and have come up with this partial, and tentative, plan subject to major/minor revision:

Tank: 

Red Sea Max E-170 (includes stand, AI Hydra 26 HD, Reef Spec MSK900 skimmer)

Stock plumbing between display tank and sump.  This is the kit that Red Sea sells.

Sump:

Trigger Systems Crystal Cube Sump 18  (I believe this will fit in the stock cabinet? My plan is to get as large a sump as possible that will fit in the cabinet.  Any other recommendations?)

Circulation: (in addition/in lieu of stock): 

XF230 Gyre Pump with Controller 

Refugium light: 

H380 Halo II LED Algae Grow Light 

Extras:

1. Upgrade Skimmer:  Eshopps X-120 
  2. Add extra display lighting:  AI Hydra 26 HD (2 total)

Not yet decided:

1. Auto top off reservoir:   Leaning towards 5 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir Aqua Gadget. My thinking is that the ATO reservoir will live just outside of the tank stand, so I wanted something semi-attractive.
  2. Auto top off system
  3. RO/DI system
  4. Return pump from sump to display
  5. Heater

I'm not locked into anything yet, but I'd like to pull the trigger soon and take advantage of any black Friday deals, to the extent they exist.  Any thoughts/opinions would be really appreciated.

I'm also picking up a 170 soon but just the bare bones reefer so I'm following this.

ive been looking at the deltec sc1351 but those Eshopps look really good I'll take a look at those thanks.

For an ATO I would recommend the Elos osmocontroller super accurate and reliable that's what I've had in the past and will be getting again.

9 minutes ago, Jessy-Ray said:

I'm also picking up a 170 soon but just the bare bones reefer so I'm following this.

ive been looking at the deltec sc1351 but those Eshopps look really good I'll take a look at those thanks.

For an ATO I would recommend the Elos osmocontroller super accurate and reliable that's what I've had in the past and will be getting again.

Awesome.  I was torn about that tank choice myself,  but am leaning towards the e170 because its slightly larger in tank volume.  So you know, I saw a great thread over on reefcentral with a guy who put the XF230 in his 170 Reefer.  He said it worked wonderfully.  

Yeah the 170 seems like the perfect size.

I have seen a bit about those gyre pumps but I'm a bit of an ecotech fan boy and I'm not sure you can beat the mp pumps.

• 1 month later...

Two months and no update. What an inglorious return. 

I've been busy, ******!  

I went with a Waterbox 100.3.

Tank is on the stand, but still dry.  Rock is curing in a trashcan--and likely will be for the next month at least.

IMG_0247.jpg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, p.o.t.u.s said:

I've been busy, ******!  

I went with a Waterbox 100.3.

Tank is on the stand, but still dry.  Rock is curing in a trashcan--and likely will be for the next month at least.

IMG_0247.jpg

What light is that? And what kind of rock did you get?

It's an Orphek V4 Atlantik.

Review from BRS

As far as rock, I got Pukani from Bulk Reef Supply.  I washed it in acid and bleach.  Now it's curing with bacteria culture to become "live" again.

3 minutes ago, p.o.t.u.s said:

It's an Orphek V4 Atlantik.

Review from BRS

As far as rock, I got Pukani from Bulk Reef Supply.  I washed it in acid and bleach.  Now it's curing with bacteria culture to become "live" again.

Both excellent choices. I was hoping that was an Orphek. 

• Like 1
On 1/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, Jessy-Ray said:

Very nice, similar dimensions to the reefer 250?

what swayed you in favour of the water box?

Yes, similar.  75 gallon display, 25 gallon sump. The price was better—Black Friday deal.  

• 1 year later...
Champagnereef
On 11/21/2017 at 12:20 AM, Dreichler said:

Rộng 24 inch, bạn sẽ tốt với một Hydra 26. Một lựa chọn khác là đặt hai hoặc ba Nguyên tắc AI và bạn sẽ ít bị bóng hơn vì bạn có thể nghiêng cả hai ánh sáng về phía trước và đặt chúng cách xa nhau, không giống như Hai đèn LED trên hyrda, chúng bị kẹt lại gần nhau.

On 11/22/2017 at 4:41 AM, p.o.t.u.s said:

Tôi đã dành một chút thời gian để nghiên cứu và đã đưa ra kế hoạch này một phần và dự kiến, theo chủ đề sửa đổi lớn / nhỏ:

Xe tăng: 

Red Sea Max E-170 (bao gồm chân đế, AI Hydra 26 HD, skimmer Spec SpecKK900)

Hệ thống ống nước giữa bể trưng bày và bể lắng. Đây là bộ dụng cụ mà Biển Đỏ bán.

Bể phốt

Hệ thống kích hoạt Crystal Cube Sump 18   (Tôi tin rằng điều này sẽ phù hợp với tủ chứng khoán? Kế hoạch của tôi là lấy một thùng chứa càng lớn càng tốt sẽ phù hợp với tủ. Bạn có   đề xuất nào khác không?)

Lưu hành: (ngoài / thay cho chứng khoán): 

Máy bơm Gyre XF230 với bộ điều khiển 

Ánh sáng tị nạn : 

H380 Halo II Tảo phát triển ánh sáng 

Ngoài ra:

1. Nâng cấp Skimmer: Eshopps X-120   
  2. Thêm ánh sáng màn hình phụ:   AI Hydra 26 HD (tổng cộng 2)

Chưa quyết định:

1. Tự động tắt hồ chứa :  L hướng tới 55 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir Aqua Utility . Suy nghĩ của tôi là hồ chứa ATO sẽ sống ngay bên ngoài bể chứa, vì vậy tôi muốn một cái gì đó bán hấp dẫn. 
  2. Tự động tắt hệ thống
  3. Hệ thống RO / DI
  4. Bơm trở lại từ bể phốt để hiển thị
  5. Máy sưởi

Tôi chưa bị khóa bất cứ điều gì, nhưng tôi muốn sớm kích hoạt và tận dụng bất kỳ giao dịch Thứ Sáu đen nào, đến mức chúng tồn tại. Bất kỳ suy nghĩ / ý kiến sẽ được thực sự đánh giá cao.

On 11/22/2017 at 4:41 AM, p.o.t.u.s said:

I’ve spent some time researching, and have come up with this partial, and tentative, plan subject to major/minor revision:

Tank: 

Red Sea Max E-170 (includes stand, AI Hydra 26 HD, Reef Spec MSK900 skimmer)

Stock plumbing between display tank and sump.  This is the kit that Red Sea sells.

Sump:

Trigger Systems Crystal Cube Sump 18  (I believe this will fit in the stock cabinet? My plan is to get as large a sump as possible that will fit in the cabinet.  Any other recommendations?)

Circulation: (in addition/in lieu of stock): 

XF230 Gyre Pump with Controller 

Refugium light: 

H380 Halo II LED Algae Grow Light 

Extras:

1. Upgrade Skimmer:  Eshopps X-120 
  2. Add extra display lighting:  AI Hydra 26 HD (2 total)

Not yet decided:

1. Auto top off reservoir:   Leaning towards 15 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir Aqua Gadget. My thinking is that the ATO reservoir will live just outside of the tank stand, so I wanted something semi-attractive.
  2. Auto top off system
  3. RO/DI system
  4. Return pump from sump to display
  5. Heater

I'm not locked into anything yet, but I'd like to pull the trigger soon and take advantage of any black Friday deals, to the extent they exist.  Any thoughts/opinions would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestions, I think it's great and right. I will follow suit